What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: Rinaldo on December 21, 2012, 07:42:47 AM
Given the fact that Old Republic turned out to be a financial catastrophe, the chances of Dragon Age venturing online are quite slim.

Just finished the second ending of Waking Mars (on PC), brilliant game! Developed by ex-Looking Glass folks (notably Randy Smith and Terri Brosius) and it shows.

What I meant is its never happening.

Geo Dude

I've started Mass Effect (1) and I'm about twenty hours in.  I'm really enjoying it.  There are some really annoying elements (occasional frame rate hitches on PS3 version and CUT SCENES PRIOR TO A BATTLE THAT YOU CAN'T SKIP THROUGH IF YOU DIE) but they tend to be pretty rare.  The classes and party members are interesting and so are the conversation options (good voice acting, too).  I'm really liking the world, too, which is important in this kind of game.  It's also just started to lay some heavy choices down on me that really make me think about the moral consequences of those decisions.  The driving sections are a bit uneven, but what the hell? I don't expect everything to be perfect the first time around in a game this ambitious.  In any case, it seems like a pretty solid start to what is supposed to be a great series.

Quote from: Philo on December 21, 2012, 09:13:12 AM
What I meant is its never happening.

Dragon Age 1 and 2 both sold pretty well so I'm reasonably certain that Dragon Age 3 will materialize.  There's been a steady stream of information coming on the game, too.  According to the latest news it will be a next generation game, but I don't mind.  They can take their time and make sure they put out something brilliant.

TheGSMoeller

On the 5th and final episode of The Walking Dead game on my iPad. It's just as intense, creepy and dramatic as the TV series, the decisions the gamer has to make are becoming more grand and increase the replay value, I'll definitely want to play again and see the different outcomes.

ibanezmonster

Got the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection for Christmas.
Played an hour of Ico and watched my brother play some of Shadow of the Colossus. I like Team Ico's style. Ancient and mysterious.

So... I have 5 games I want to complete this year- a year that will include little free time. Luckily, the longer games are more accessible (on my laptop) and the others are shorter.

Rough estimates of gameplay in hours from howlongtobeat.com:
Ico: 7 (PS3)
Shadow of the Colossus: 10 (PS3)
Mirror's Edge: 7 (PS3)
Final Fantasy 8: 40 (PC/emulator)
Planescape: Torment: 25 (PC)

I should be getting Mirror's Edge and Twisted Metal (PS3) for my birthday on Friday.
What games to play next year? Okami...? Earthbound...? Another Final Fantasy...? Panzer Dragoon...? The #1 game I am looking forward to play won't come out for quite a while: Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Lethevich

I hope you enjoy Planescape: Torment ^__^ If you like it, fortunately the main developer of it is currently producing a spiritually similar game (albeit one set in a more generic fantasy world) which will be out in 2014. (Project Eternity.)

I am playing way too much Planetside 2, although sometimes my aversion to VOIP can make it a bit impersonal at times.

http://www.youtube.com/v/HgbiA_Pq_90
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Lethevich on December 26, 2012, 04:01:04 PM
I hope you enjoy Planescape: Torment ^__^ If you like it, fortunately the main developer of it is currently producing a spiritually similar game (albeit one set in a more generic fantasy world) which will be out in 2014. (Project Eternity.)
I was confused by this at first... looking them up, Black Isle Studios != Obsidian. But this Feargus Urquhart guy is who you must be referring to. Anyways, good to hear about this. (though I don't plan a computer upgrade for quite a while, possibly not even 2014 lol)

Lethevich

Quote from: Greg on December 26, 2012, 06:53:55 PM
I was confused by this at first... looking them up, Black Isle Studios != Obsidian. But this Feargus Urquhart guy is who you must be referring to. Anyways, good to hear about this. (though I don't plan a computer upgrade for quite a while, possibly not even 2014 lol)

It's Chris Avellone who was/is the lead developer of both, I think - I hope he makes PO as non-combat oriented (as a possibility) as PS:T, but it's looking unlikely. It should still be very wordy, though, which can only be a good thing.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

CaughtintheGaze

Replaying Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition

stingo

Still on Assassin's Creed II, but picked up Tropico 4 in Steam's Holiday Sale for a change of pace.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Some Mil sims. After Arma II, now a great Flight/Mil sim, DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) with A-10C Warthog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0LFTRENPw4
Steep learning curve. Visually probably the best looking flightsim today. And it's much more efficient on ressources than e.g. X-Plane. Maybe its because it's programmed for Windows only, whereas X-plane is somewhat multi platform. The A-10C is said to be very deeply simulated.

Mirror Image

My current view of the Nintendo Wii U originally posted on the Amazon Wii U forum:

I honestly don't see what's so great about the Wii U, but before the Nintendo fanboys start giving me tons of unhelpful votes, understand this: I have been a Nintendo fan since it's inception. I have all the main consoles until now. My problem with Nintendo is they felt the need to compete with Playstation and Xbox when there is no competition. Playstation and Xbox doesn't have Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, or Metroid. Instead of capitalizing on these now iconic characters with new, innovative games we got nothing at the release date except for "New Super Mario Brothers U," which is a rehash of a rehash. Graphically, the Wii U looks nice, but so did the PS3 and Xbox 360 when they were released. Graphics should always take a backseat to the actual gameplay and fun factor of the game itself. They're what I would call the "icing on the cake." Anyway, just thought I would share my two cents.

ibanezmonster

Well, it looks like I'm not going to be playing Planescape: Torment. I've spent so many countless hours trying to fix the problem of the game crashing on the first flight of stairs that I'm done wasting more time.

I've tried every fix and patch available, even following long, detailed guides for installing them. I'm following every little tip. I've searched for every mention of this error (not many), and people asking about this either get no response or none that is applicable to mine. My suspicion is that it is the autosave feature, but there's no way to disable it (and yes, the installation directory is not on C:\Program Files).

Almost done with Twisted Metal (should finish tomorrow, with only 2 matches left). New list, with PS:T dropped:
1. Mirror's Edge
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Final Fantasy 8

Will be playing (3) on my laptop and 1 and then 2 on the PS3. Trying to finish these games soon, so I can get back to learning more programming.

Henk

Lethevich, do you play games on your mobile phone? Greg? I have Nokia, I don't know any nice game, but you can invite me.  >:D No new metal album purchased lately, will look after some. I think it's all rubish however, but of course if you need some preparation... ;)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on January 14, 2013, 03:39:38 AM
Lethevich, do you play games on your mobile phone? Greg?
Nope. I don't have a smart phone because I can't really afford the $40 a month (minimum) that it would be.

Quote from: Henk on January 14, 2013, 03:39:38 AM
No new metal album purchased lately, will look after some. I think it's all rubish however, but of course if you need some preparation... ;)
Try BTBAM... not their old albums, but anything from Colors on to their newest stuff. It's about half metal, half other genres.

ibanezmonster

Here I am in FF8, after becoming a SeeD; just watched the Squall and Rinoa dance scene.

http://www.youtube.com/v/J5ye7GQEuh0

Henk

Quote from: Greg on January 14, 2013, 06:54:36 AM
Nope. I don't have a smart phone because I can't really afford the $40 a month (minimum) that it would be.
Try BTBAM... not their old albums, but anything from Colors on to their newest stuff. It's about half metal, half other genres.

You can't afford it?? And you can afford to pay these games or are they cheap or something?

BTBAM sounds good to me. Just checked some samples.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on January 15, 2013, 11:57:13 AM
You can't afford it?? And you can afford to pay these games or are they cheap or something?

BTBAM sounds good to me. Just checked some samples.
Well, technically I could afford a smartphone, but I don't need one enough to merit $40+ a month. I have to be tight on my money, since I go to school and work part-time (and don't get paid much). The games I mentioned are ones that I either got for Christmas or download for free online.

Good to hear that about BTBAM.  :) Whenever you get an hour free, I would recommend you to listen to the full album of Colors in one sitting, since it is really just one piece of music divided into sections for convenience. Here it is one video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OagFHpYYs

Henk

Quote from: Greg on January 15, 2013, 05:36:59 PM
Well, technically I could afford a smartphone, but I don't need one enough to merit $40+ a month. I have to be tight on my money, since I go to school and work part-time (and don't get paid much). The games I mentioned are ones that I either got for Christmas or download for free online.

Good to hear that about BTBAM.  :) Whenever you get an hour free, I would recommend you to listen to the full album of Colors in one sitting, since it is really just one piece of music divided into sections for convenience. Here it is one video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OagFHpYYs

You said you earned a "decent amount of money"? Thanks for the tip, will probably do.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on January 16, 2013, 02:21:41 AM
You said you earned a "decent amount of money"?
If I said that, I was referring to the extra financial aid money for school (Pell Grant) I received that I am saving up.  ;)

Quote from: Henk on January 16, 2013, 02:21:41 AM
Thanks for the tip, will probably do.
Cool.
btw, I just saw a comment you made on one of my pictures on FB last week- but you wrote it over a year ago! It was the one were you noticed how different my music and my mom's music is. I'm not sure why FB didn't give me a notification.  ::)

CaughtintheGaze

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Just an amazing game.

Stranglehold: Like Max Payne on steroids.