What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modUltralaser

Probably going to pick this up tomorrow, the premises intrigues me immensely.

DavidW

I picked that up on the Steam Summer Sale.  (Spec Ops The Line)

I look forward to playing it, but up next is Remember Me.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 06, 2013, 07:25:08 PM
I picked that up on the Steam Summer Sale.  (Spec Ops The Line)

I look forward to playing it, but up next is Remember Me.

That's another game on my list. Been hyped about Remember Me since its announcement.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: -abe- on August 06, 2013, 07:09:24 PM
Dark Souls is the most engrossing game I've played in years. It's a third person fantasy action RPG that's seemingly* very difficult. Moreover, the mythos and story of the game are vague and the game is opaque about many of its rules. There is no hand holding. Really, those things sound like a negative, but they just add to the game's atmosphere and make getting it through it feel like a genuine adventure of discovery. A neat community has formed around the game, because it's a game where you need the insight and advice of other people to make things easier for yourself.

*Seemingly, but through sheer persistence you learn what to expect and become more skilled...thus what was once difficult becomes manageable.

Here is an article on Slate that is critical of the game but only convinced me to buy it:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/gaming/2012/02/dark_souls_review_is_a_100_hour_video_game_ever_worthwhile_.html
The same thing could be said of FF11, and I've heard it compared. You have to work for everything, though you don't have to be a genius; you just have to read about what to do. That might go for any game, though; once a strategy is figured out and read about, you don't have to figure things out for yourself.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Greg on August 07, 2013, 08:09:20 AM
The same thing could be said of FF11, and I've heard it compared. You have to work for everything, though you don't have to be a genius; you just have to read about what to do. That might go for any game, though; once a strategy is figured out and read about, you don't have to figure things out for yourself.

The thing is that Dark Souls seems to have in part been designed around an intention for it to be a communal experience, as if you are supposed to get tips and hints from others. For instance, there is a weapon that makes the game's first stages easier, but getting it requires a tip to do this, which may never occur to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS0x5OpEt8M

It's a game that brings people together to crack it, and I think that's neat.  :)

DavidW

Quote from: -abe- on August 07, 2013, 09:17:56 PM

It's a game that brings people together to crack it, and I think that's neat.  :)

Fez was like that too, don't know if you've played it.

ibanezmonster

Finished:
Final Fantasy 2.

Don't play this game. Absolutely horrible; story isn't bad for its time (much better than 1) and it introduces important things such as Chocobos and Cid, but those are the only good things about the game.
If you want to contemplate jumping off a cliff, play this game on the original Nintendo (meaning no emulator saves states) with no strategy guide and no "cheating." Yeah, I used the select-cancel trick and attacking my own characters to boost my stats, so what?  ::)

This article sums it up- and interesting read:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/finalfantasy/ff2/ff2-2.htm

Now starting:
Final Fantasy 3 (Nintendo DS remake)

ibanezmonster

What I'll refer to as "the list":
(my favorite Final Fantasy games, in order)

1. 9
2. 7
3. 8
4. 10
5. 11
6. 12
7. 4
8. 10-2
9. 1
10. 2

haven't played: 3, 5, 6, 13-2
haven't finished: 13

DavidW

I absolutely hate FF 13.  In fact it turned me off of jrpgs.  Walking along a corridor, no choices, anything other than autoattack is a waste of time.  There are no choices even for leveling up, you get everything anyway.  What is the point of that stupid game!?!  It is the exact opposite of what a roleplaying game should be.  How do you roleplay when you have no choice in anything in the game!?!?!  You are just watching a movie with cuts for walking in a straight line and autoattack.  And I played it for 10 hours hoping something would change!!

Sorry rant over.

lisa needs braces

Greg is one confusing dude. He's supposedly crazy about the Final Fantasy games but hasn't played the single greatest Final Fantasy Game -- the 6th one, or the 3rd as it was known in the U.S at the time.

Here is my experience with this series.

FF 6 & 7 = masterpieces.

6 was the last FF of that era (mid 90s and earlier) and they really poured their heart into it. The music is wonderful, the artwork is charming, and the story is spectacular.

It also has plenty of funny moments. 7 basically brought a lot of the charms of the 6th game to the Playstation, substituting an equally involving story and premise. The game though lacked one interesting feature of its predecessor. In FF6, all the characters you could play (I forget the count, but maybe something like 12) were treated pretty equally in terms of importance and back-story. There's no one you can say is actually the main character. This really adds to the game's scope and makes it feel very expansive.

In 7, everything revolves around Cloud. Still a great game though.

The series lost me after that point. Their subsequent iterations didn't seem to have the heart, charm and sense of fun as 6 and 7. I remember in 1999 playing FFIX and getting absolutely bored with its endless dialogue.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on August 09, 2013, 07:34:46 PM
I absolutely hate FF 13.  In fact it turned me off of jrpgs.  Walking along a corridor, no choices, anything other than autoattack is a waste of time.  There are no choices even for leveling up, you get everything anyway.  What is the point of that stupid game!?!  It is the exact opposite of what a roleplaying game should be.  How do you roleplay when you have no choice in anything in the game!?!?!  You are just watching a movie with cuts for walking in a straight line and autoattack.  And I played it for 10 hours hoping something would change!!

Sorry rant over.
Probably shouldn't expect it to be an RPG. It really isn't; more like an action game with random battles. I stopped at the point where you finally get out of the longest hallway in game history; will resume later.

Quote from: -abe- on August 09, 2013, 09:59:11 PM
Greg is one confusing dude. He's supposedly crazy about the Final Fantasy games but hasn't played the single greatest Final Fantasy Game -- the 6th one, or the 3rd as it was known in the U.S at the time.

Here is my experience with this series.

FF 6 & 7 = masterpieces.

6 was the last FF of that era (mid 90s and earlier) and they really poured their heart into it. The music is wonderful, the artwork is charming, and the story is spectacular.

It also has plenty of funny moments. 7 basically brought a lot of the charms of the 6th game to the Playstation, substituting an equally involving story and premise. The game though lacked one interesting feature of its predecessor. In FF6, all the characters you could play (I forget the count, but maybe something like 12) were treated pretty equally in terms of importance and back-story. There's no one you can say is actually the main character. This really adds to the game's scope and makes it feel very expansive.

In 7, everything revolves around Cloud. Still a great game though.

The series lost me after that point. Their subsequent iterations didn't seem to have the heart, charm and sense of fun as 6 and 7. I remember in 1999 playing FFIX and getting absolutely bored with its endless dialogue.

I'm saving 6 for last because I'm playing the last few I haven't played in order (3, 5, 6) and because it's supposed to be one of the best ones. I played only about 5 hours or so of 6 a few years ago, and it was very promising.

DavidW

Are there any jrpgs that offer exploration, character customization and an interesting story?  I'm not being sarcastic, I'm aware that I shouldn't let one bad game characterize the entire genre for me.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 10, 2013, 07:40:07 AM
Are there any jrpgs that offer exploration, character customization and an interesting story?  I'm not being sarcastic, I'm aware that I shouldn't let one bad game characterize the entire genre for me.

That really isn't their bag.

As to FFXIII and FFXIII both games are visually sunning but are possessed by stunted gameplay.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on August 10, 2013, 07:40:07 AM
Not sure how you can have two and three at the same time (unless no voice acting is involved)...
The first two are an MMO thing, which FFXI does well (except that you can't change your character's physical appearance once they are created).

As for the first and third ones, that would be pretty much any great JRPG; try Chrono Trigger if you haven't (and don't mind SNES graphics).

Quote from: modUltralaser on August 10, 2013, 04:28:15 PM
That really isn't their bag.

As to FFXIII and FFXIII both games are visually sunning but are possessed by stunted gameplay.
You mean "FFXIII and FFXIII-2?"

I actually liked the battle system much more than I thought I would; very quick and smooth, and actually a bit more fun than normal. I can't see myself ever playing the game again, though, due to its linear nature.

Enjoying 3 so far...

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on August 11, 2013, 04:21:29 AM
Not sure how you can have two and three at the same time (unless no voice acting is involved)...
The first two are an MMO thing, which FFXI does well (except that you can't change your character's physical appearance once they are created).

Greg I guess you've never played any western rpgs before then?  You can have character customization by either or both class progression and dialogue options.  Choosing a class and how you level up your character doesn't effect the story.  Molding the narrative with dialogue options allows for multiple endings or simply different outcomes in subplots, handled smoothly in all Bioware games.  And exploration is not just for MMOs, take the Elder Scrolls games or even the much more linear Mass Effect games.

It sounds me to that you're confirming what modultralaser is saying, guess I should avoid jrpgs then, what a waste.

ibanezmonster

Which JRPGs have you played before?

Those developments you're talking about came about after most (or all) of my favorite JRPGs. Not sure why you're looking for a strictly specific criteria, unless that's the only type of game you like. To not play them simply because you are attached to those three things only means you're going to be really missing out on some good stuff.

DavidW

How old are your favorite games Greg?  The properties that I speak of (character customization and some narrative control) have been around since Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate (late 90s), and the creation of tabletop rpgs (70s).

DavidW

To answer your question, only two.  FF13 as I spoke of I stopped playing in disgust after 10 hours.  I tried Lost Odyssey a few years before that, but I only made it 4 hours in before I quit in boredom.  It wouldn't let me play the game, it had more cutscenes than game content!  Still a masterpiece compared to FF13.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 02:39:09 PM
To answer your question, only two.  FF13 as I spoke of I stopped playing in disgust after 10 hours.  I tried Lost Odyssey a few years before that, but I only made it 4 hours in before I quit in boredom.  It wouldn't let me play the game, it had more cutscenes than game content!  Still a masterpiece compared to FF13.

They're very different sorts of gaming experiences. They are more cinematic than the 'normal' WRPG, but they're also trying to hit different sorts of markets. The sort of games that we enjoy, rpg wise, aren't really made anymore. Although, Project Infinity seems to be ramping up to smack it out of the ballpark.

Most JRPGS I can't stand. I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 simply because of their beauty, but than you have a game like Nier, which while JRPG in it's scope has all of the tendencies of a WRPG outside of the character customization, and might be one of the best games ever made plotwise.

kyjo

I'm not currently playing any games, but I'd just like to comment on my love for the Mario series. I've loved all the platformer games in the Super Mario series, as well as all of the Mario Kart series. I'm not much for the RPG or sports spinoff games. My top five Mario games are:

1. Yoshi's Island (SNES/GBA). There's something really special about this game. Maybe it's the coloring-book style graphics, which can often be quite haunting (one level's background uses van Gogh's The Starry Night for inspiration). Or maybe it's the catchy and powerful soundtrack (which boasts some heartbreakingly beautiful credits music). I doubt any game will ever supersede this timeless masterpiece as my favorite.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii). I had a hell of a hard time choosing if I preferred this to the original; they're both excellent games. SMG 2 just has an overall more "polished" feel than the original, and the graphics, needless to say, are amazing. The addition of Yoshi (my favorite Mario character) is also a plus. The soundtrack just barely falls short of the original, though.

3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii). This blockbuster game was a real breakthrough for the Mario series. It is an epic game on all counts, with a powerful storyline and imaginative level designs. The soundtrack is a masterpiece in itself; the use of a live orchestra in many of the tracks really adds to the game. Check out this awesome medley of themes from the game performed by the WDR Radio Orchestra of Cologne under Niklas Willen (who recorded an excellent Alfven symphonies cycle for Naxos): http://youtu.be/jk_jQB9Iius

4. New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U). The New Super Mario Bros. series has been masterfully emulating the style of the old Super Mario Bros. games and transforming it into addicting platformers in which the simplicity of the old games are kept, but is "spiced up" with new elements and colorful graphics. NSMBWU is the best yet from this series, a really addicting game with plenty of challenges and delights.

5. For fifth place, it's pretty much a toss-up between Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64, later remade for the DS) and Super Mario 3D Land (3DS). The former was a revolutionary game which introduced a "freer" style of gameplay to the series in which the player is able to explore more. The latter is a real gem of a game which uses the New Super Mario Bros. series as inspiration for level layout (e.g. eight worlds with a castle at the end of each) and the Galaxy games as inspiration for the outstanding graphics. My main criticism of it is that it is a bit too easy.

What are some of your favorite games in the Mario series?