What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Don't own a Wii U (don't really have any interest in the Next Gen systems), but my favorite Mario games are: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. I never owned a Gameboy, Nintendo DS, etc. as I'm not a fan of handheld gaming devices.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 11, 2013, 06:11:59 PM
Don't own a Wii U (don't really have any interest in the Next Gen systems), but my favorite Mario games are: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. I never owned a Gameboy, Nintendo DS, etc. as I'm not a fan of handheld gaming devices.

Yeah, there haven't been that many good games for the Wii U yet, but you should definitely consider getting it. I've heard news of some exciting upcoming Mario and Donkey Kong games for the console (due out in late 2013/2014): Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World.

Many say the recent games in the series can't compare to the original classics, but I find myself enjoying a lot of newer games in the series better than some of the classics. I've never really been a great fan of Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World, to be honest, though they're fun to dig out every once in a while. Have you ever played Yoshi's Island, John?

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 11, 2013, 06:26:32 PM
Yeah, there haven't been that many good games for the Wii U yet, but you should definitely consider getting it. I've heard news of some exciting upcoming Mario and Donkey Kong games for the console (due out in late 2013/2014): Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World.

Many say the recent games in the series can't compare to the original classics, but I find myself enjoying a lot of newer games in the series better than some of the classics. I've never really been a great fan of Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World, to be honest, though they're fun to dig out every once in a while. Have you ever played Yoshi's Island, John?

I'll be even more honest here. I don't find myself playing many video games at all these days. They're good to pass the time if you're waiting on something or someone, but I'm just not into them much anymore. Yes, I played Yoshi's Island, but don't remember it and the list of favorite Mario games is nothing more than based purely on memory. I do remember Super Mario Galaxy very well, though, and probably would rank it as one of the best more recent games I've played even though it's not really a 'new' game.

My favorite game for the Nintendo Wii, besides SMG, is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (probably the best Zelda gaming experience I've ever had). I've played this game all the way through (with/without a strategy guide) at least five times. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend it. I also love The Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2 (recently remastered in HD for PS3 of course). A simple game in terms of storyline and not complicated either, but this game kept my interest from the time it began to the time I played it all the way through. The sheer size of the world you're exploring is just mesmerizing to me. I also loved hunting down these colossi and the fact that they all require different strategies to defeat them. Absolutely love this game.

As far as getting a Wii U, I'll consider it once I see a new Zelda game released and particularly a Zelda game that's free from gimmicks and just offers the gamers some solid storytelling and gameplay.

DavidW

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 11, 2013, 02:48:34 PM
They're very different sorts of gaming experiences. They are more cinematic than the 'normal' WRPG, but they're also trying to hit different sorts of markets. The sort of games that we enjoy, rpg wise, aren't really made anymore. Although, Project Infinity seems to be ramping up to smack it out of the ballpark.

Most JRPGS I can't stand. I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 simply because of their beauty, but than you have a game like Nier, which while JRPG in it's scope has all of the tendencies of a WRPG outside of the character customization, and might be one of the best games ever made plotwise.

Thanks I'll give Nier a try.  I'm looking forward to Obsidian's new game too.  I agree with you that FF 13 and 13-2 are beautiful!  A couple of the best looking games this generation.  So you can't say I didn't positive about those games! ;D

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:13:04 PM
Thanks I'll give Nier a try.  I'm looking forward to Obsidian's new game too.  I agree with you that FF 13 and 13-2 are beautiful!  A couple of the best looking games this generation.  So you can't say I didn't positive about those games! ;D

Yeah, but I get the complaints, especially for someone who was groomed on the classic WRPGs. It's a very hard shift, and as Greg points out, a lot of it is more like timed action sequences. Lightning though might be the best FF protagonist, story wise. I'm pretty pumped for her return.

Nier, to give you a fair warning, is an extremely long game, and it might possess the most depressing plot ever put to the video game screen. The musical score is amazing though, and the game has a lot of replay value.

DavidW

Quote from: kyjo on August 11, 2013, 06:05:17 PM
What are some of your favorite games in the Mario series?

Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart.  I've heard great things about Paper Mario but have never played it.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:17:09 PM
Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart.  I've heard great things about Paper Mario but have never played it.

I was more of a Sonic boy, so the normal Mario platformers were never my bag, but Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario are both amazing games. I also really enjoyed Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 11, 2013, 07:01:56 PM
As far as getting a Wii U, I'll consider it once I see a new Zelda game released and particularly a Zelda game that's free from gimmicks and just offers the gamers some solid storytelling and gameplay.

Same here, but a new Zelda game and not just an HD remake (that will shelves before the brand new Zelda game does).  Or awesome third party games but uh yeah that won't happen until awesome first party games are out and people buy the console.

Dragon Age 3 will be what drives me to pick up a ps4, unless I was mistaken about the quality about some of those launch window games.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:20:58 PM
Dragon Age 3 will be what drives me to pick up a ps4, unless I was mistaken about the quality about some of those launch window games.

DA3 is still projected for this generation's system. No need to splurge simply for that game.

kyjo

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Paper Mario series, or RPGs in general for that matter. The latest installments in the series, Super Paper Mario (Wii) and Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), were quite disappointing, especially for those who enjoyed the earlier games in the series. I'll admit I've never played the highly-acclaimed Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for the GameCube, but considering I haven't really enjoyed a single RPG game I've played yet, I think I'll pass on that one.

DavidW

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 11, 2013, 07:24:10 PM
DA3 is still projected for this generation's system. No need to splurge simply for that game.

Awesome!  I thought (incorrectly) that it would be exclusive.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:29:39 PM

Not so far, I'm hoping they keep to that. Watch Dogs, the game I'm most excited for, is also being made for this generation. I've not really seen anything exclusive to the next generation that makes me want to purchase them. Maybe KOTOR 3 will be announced...  :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 11, 2013, 07:25:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of RPGs in general for that matter.

Nor am I. I'm an action/adventure gamer all the way. I also do not like first-person shooters.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:29:39 PM

Remember how Rayman Legends was going to be a Wii U exclusive? Not anymore! A big thumps up for anyone who owns a PS3 or Xbox 360.

DavidW

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 11, 2013, 07:31:05 PM
Not so far, I'm hoping they keep to that. Watch Dogs, the game I'm most excited for, is also being made for this generation. I've not really seen anything exclusive to the next generation that makes me want to purchase them. Maybe KOTOR 3 will be announced...  :o

I think actually it just very well might be.  Bioware has started two new projects, Mass Effect 4 and something mysterious that they're keeping very quiet about.

I've heard of Watch Dogs as in the game where you can use a cell phone or a tablet but that is all I know about it.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 07:47:03 PM
I think actually it just very well might be.  Bioware has started two new projects, Mass Effect 4 and something mysterious that they're keeping very quiet about.

I've heard of Watch Dogs as in the game where you can use a cell phone or a tablet but that is all I know about it.

One can only hope. Disney owns the rights. I think the game would make a ton of cash. It'd definitely be a game I'd purchase new.

One of the highlights of E3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYgXvgS6Ww

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 02:10:09 PM
How old are your favorite games Greg?  The properties that I speak of (character customization and some narrative control) have been around since Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate (late 90s), and the creation of tabletop rpgs (70s).
I supposed these aspects weren't more popularized (and practically expected) until the 2000s, as in nearly expected in many modern games.

My favorite JRPGs are mainly the titles produced by Squaresoft before they merged with Enix. When Square merged with Enix to make their first FF title (10-2), the series went downhill. Experiments abounded, which is great, but the newer games aren't nearly as loved as the previous ones. They just lack that magic.

Best Squaresoft JRPGs that I've played:
-Chrono Trigger (1995, SNES)
-Final Fantasy 7 (1998, PS1)
-Xenogears (1998, PS1)
-Chrono Cross (1999, PS1)
-Final Fantasy 8 (1999, PS1)
-Final Fantasy 9 (2000, PS1)

Also, Legend of Legaia (1999, PS1) is one of my favorite games, a non-Squaresoft JRPG.
...but I'm not hardcore gamer, either, so I could be missing out on a bunch of great games.

I think you said you were watching Evangelion?... there's quite an influence on JRPGs from this era, especially Xenogears. The Chrono series is interesting, involving wild plots with dual worlds (Chrono Cross is my favorite game). These games are about getting lost in an epic adventure in another world with twisting and turning storylines, not to mention that it's hard not to fall in love with Uematsu's melancholy tunes in the FF games. And FF8 has the best video game cut scene ever at the ending.

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2013, 02:39:09 PM
To answer your question, only two.  FF13 as I spoke of I stopped playing in disgust after 10 hours.  I tried Lost Odyssey a few years before that, but I only made it 4 hours in before I quit in boredom.  It wouldn't let me play the game, it had more cutscenes than game content!  Still a masterpiece compared to FF13.
FF13 isn't typical of a JRPG... I wouldn't even call it a JRPG to begin with (the developers were trying to create a new genre). Never heard of Lost Odyssey, though; so, you've only played one JRPG, I suppose.

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 11, 2013, 07:16:02 PM
Yeah, but I get the complaints, especially for someone who was groomed on the classic WRPGs. It's a very hard shift, and as Greg points out, a lot of it is more like timed action sequences. Lightning though might be the best FF protagonist, story wise. I'm pretty pumped for her return.
What I think about Lightning- finally, a "cool" lead character- that hasn't happened since FF8! Some of the concepts of Lightning Returns are intriguing, so it'll be interesting to see how they work (or don't work).

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 11, 2013, 07:16:02 PM
Nier, to give you a fair warning, is an extremely long game, and it might possess the most depressing plot ever put to the video game screen. The musical score is amazing though, and the game has a lot of replay value.
Sounds like a winning combo to me!  ;D

modUltralaser

Quote from: Greg on August 11, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
I supposed these aspects weren't more popularized (and practically expected) until the 2000s, as in nearly expected in many modern games.

My favorite JRPGs are mainly the titles produced by Squaresoft before they merged with Enix. When Square merged with Enix to make their first FF title, the series went downhill. Experiments abounded, which is great, but the newer games aren't nearly as loved as the previous ones. They just lack that magic.

Best Squaresoft JRPGs that I've played:
-Chrono Trigger (1995, SNES)
-Final Fantasy 7 (1998, PS1)
-Xenogears (1998, PS1)
-Chrono Cross (1999, PS1)
-Final Fantasy 8 (1999, PS1)
-Final Fantasy 9 (2000, PS1)

Also, Legend of Legaia (1999, PS1) is one of my favorite games, a non-Squaresoft JRPG.
...but I'm not hardcore gamer, either, so I could be missing out on a bunch of great games.

I think you said you were watching Evangelion?... there's quite an influence on JRPGs from this era, especially Xenogears. The Chrono series is interesting, involving wild plots with dual worlds (Chrono Cross is my favorite game). These games are about getting lost in an epic adventure in another world with twisting and turning storylines, not to mention that it's hard not to fall in love with Uematsu's melancholy tunes in the FF games. And FF8 has the best video game cut scene ever at the ending.

FF13 isn't typical of a JRPG... I wouldn't even call it a JRPG to begin with (the developers were trying to create a new genre). Never heard of Lost Odyssey, though; so, you've only played one JRPG, I suppose.

What I think about Lightning- finally, a "cool" lead character- that hasn't happened since FF8! Some of the concepts of Lightning Returns are intriguing, so it'll be interesting to see how they work (or don't work).

Sounds like a winning combo to me!  ;D

I loved the Chrono series as it eliminated random battles, which is easily the thing I find most annoying about JRPGs. I think it also has the most interesting ideas associated with it, especially in the ties between Trigger and Cross.

Agreed with you on FF8, love all of the characters in that game, which might have been the best protagonist since FFIV.

Yeah, I'm super hyped for Lightning. I'm hopeful that they handle it well by combining the best elements from the first two games.

You'd love Nier. It's exactly the sort of game for you. I'd liken it to Full Metal in plot and art styling.

TheGSMoeller

Played a good bit of Pikmin 3 on Wii U, great gameplay and visuals, story mode and co-op challenges are both enjoyable. Also a good example of how the Wii U game pad becomes part of the game with live maps and data constantly available.

Rayman Origins on XBOX 360, easily one of the most fun I've had with a game in a while. So bright and vibrant, a great side scroller game.

Didn't get to complete either one, was staying at a friends house over the weekend that had both.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 12, 2013, 08:06:36 AM

Rayman Origins on XBOX 360, easily one of the most fun I've had with a game in a while. So bright and vibrant, a great side scroller game.

One of the more recent games that has impressed the hell out of me. Simplistic? Sure, but it's such a fun game. Right now, I have my eye on The Last Of Us.