What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Still enjoying Rayman Legends best game I've played since...well....Rayman Origins! :P

modUltralaser

Going to play through this series for the umpteenth time:

lisa needs braces

^I should play that again someday. I quite enjoyed it. The soundtrack was superb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_wsxDFRbEk

modUltralaser

Quote from: -abe- on September 20, 2013, 09:44:25 PM
^I should play that again someday. I quite enjoyed it. The soundtrack was superb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_wsxDFRbEk

I'm having to reacclimate myself to playing a PC game which requires two hands. I'm such a console gamer these days.

ibanezmonster

So, I started playing Final Fantasy 6 again...  :P

(Forget about my previous post about the free time thing, since I've found out something and have done stuff to free up a lot of time, so playing games is okay now...)

This game is crazy.  :D Just now got to the point where I had left off on my Playstation years ago. I'm following HCBailley's tutorial on youtube. Currently at video 25/93. Playing the Game Boy Advance version with VisualBoy Advance emulator.

Train suplex...
"Do you like these? I call this one 'Humpty' and the other one 'Dumpty'."...
Kefka killing an entire kingdom by poisoning the water supply...
Figaro castle on fire and sinking into the sand and moving to a distant location...
"There's a reason 'oppose' rhymes with 'dispose.' Kill them all!"...

modUltralaser

Quote from: Greg on September 29, 2013, 04:15:17 AM
I'm following HCBailley's tutorial on youtube.

Um.. what?

Don't have enough time to dedicate to relearn my PC controls well enough to play Deus Ex, so currently I'm replaying this gem:

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on September 30, 2013, 05:09:12 AM
Um.. what?
It's more like a video walkthrough with commentary. I'm finding these good video walkthroughs more useful than the text-only ones.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/v/WGkr3iwW0lg

(Actually, I misspelled his name, too).

modUltralaser

Quote from: Greg on September 30, 2013, 06:43:41 PM
It's more like a video walkthrough with commentary. I'm finding these good video walkthroughs more useful than the text-only ones.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/v/WGkr3iwW0lg

(Actually, I misspelled his name, too).

So you're letting someone else play for you?

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on October 01, 2013, 07:26:38 AM
So you're letting someone else play for you?
Yes. I also have my own personal butler, driver, and pre-chewer of food. I don't do anything myself but I have everyone else do stuff for me. Jealous?

modUltralaser

Quote from: Greg on October 01, 2013, 10:03:27 AM
Yes. I also have my own personal butler, driver, and pre-chewer of food. I don't do anything myself but I have everyone else do stuff for me. Jealous?

Nope. Still don't understand why you'd let someone else play for you.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philo the Harbinger on October 01, 2013, 11:14:15 AM
Nope. Still don't understand why you'd let someone else play for you.
I'd rather finish these long games in a reasonable amount of time, mainly. No strategy guide in a typical Final Fantasy game can mean hours of aimlessly wandering around trying to figure out what to do next (especially the first two). Also, I like to know where a lot of the hidden treasures are. When it comes to battles, though, I just figure them out myself most of the time.

modUltralaser

Quote from: Greg on October 01, 2013, 07:28:00 PM
I'd rather finish these long games in a reasonable amount of time, mainly. No strategy guide in a typical Final Fantasy game can mean hours of aimlessly wandering around trying to figure out what to do next (especially the first two). Also, I like to know where a lot of the hidden treasures are. When it comes to battles, though, I just figure them out myself most of the time.

I suppose that's a generational thing.

mahler10th

Tomorrow sees the release of F1 2013.  It will also contain retro F1 racing from the eighties in the standard edition, and in a 'classic' edition it will feature the 80's and 90's.

I wont be able to get it for a few days.  But by all the Mansells, I'll be on it.

modUltralaser

Likely to pick this up today: Dark Souls I

Jaakko Keskinen

I follow HCBailly too!

Now, GTA V...

I love it. But I still think it is little overrated, most complaints I have are pretty minor things, for ex. it felt too short. Some missions were ridiculously short, like for ex. buying a mask. That's it. My favorite characters are Lester (the smart guy in wheelchair), and Dave (the FIB agent, the one who is not a total asshole).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Well, this was a great game. In fact, I'd say it turned out to be my third favorite Final Fantasy, after 9 and 7. A slight edge over 8.

There were some great moments- the Kefka poisioning, the opera, the suicide attempt by a certain party member, the negotiation with the empire, etc. The story was quite fast paced and active in the first half; the second half (the World of Ruin) was the complete opposite- totally open-ended, and it felt like a relief in a way at first, but after a while, the story sort of lost its brilliance. At least the game itself, with the spells and characters got more interesting at that time.

I think the main reasons why I still prefer 7 and 9 have to do with the towns, mainly. It seems all Final Fantasies before 7 just had cookie-cutter towns and castles that almost completely look the same. With 7, it completely changed, and I still think about some of the interesting places I haven't visited in years but want to go back to. With 1-6, all the towns are just... bleh. Nothing could beat 9 in mini games, either- that chocobo hunting quest and the card game...

Overall, the game was pretty easy, other than good luck on the Fanatic's Tower without an emulator. The ability to teach anyone any magic and the overpowered spells, like Ultima, is what made it that way. I developed my own strategy for Kefka's Tower: out of the 3 parties, have a "leader" that is ~level 42+ and has Ultima, Osmose, and the Cure spells- I used the females, since they are the best at magic (Celes, Terra, Relm). All other party members should be ~level 35. I used the Dinosaur Forest to level grind at the end for a few hours, which happened to be the only time I level grinded in the game- huge positive for me. Of course, if you don't like to use Ultima and prefer a challenge, this isn't the strategy for you.

Music was great, too. Check out the long ending credits theme. The ending is okay... a joke compared to something like 8, but then again, this is an SNES game, which has way more limitations.

Now, on to play 5 to complete the FF 1-12... (although there supposedly is a sequel to 4 that came out a few years ago that I somehow never heard about until recently that I'm not going to worry about for a while)

lisa needs braces

Glad you enjoyed it Greg!

I played that game for the first time in the summer of 1998 after randomly discovering it. It was one of the first games I completed which also happened to be a great game. I cherish it very much.

I read an interview with one of the designers of the game where he mentioned that, for this installment of the series, they chose to not have a "main" character but instead treated nearly every playable character as a main character. So they all have their moments.

And there are so many great sequences, like the onset of the World of Ruin -- so cinematic and eerie. Graphics don't matter. All that's required is creativity!

lisa needs braces

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Philo the Harbinger on October 09, 2013, 05:18:47 AM
Likely to pick this up today: Dark Souls I

It's certainly an experience.

It's challenging and,, often,  deceptively hard. So many times I'd end up bashing my head against the wall over a particular sequence only to go "oh, that's how you do it" But it is quite brutal in parts.

Another thing: I'm convinced that it's a game designed in part to be a communal experience. I quite enjoyed talking about it with a friend who was crazy about it and gave me plenty of advice.

I think I've completed about 40% so far. And I have 60 hours logged in.  :-\

lisa needs braces

Also: The game is beautiful. Its atmosphere, design and the architecture of the settings it depicts are gorgeous. The game is worth playing for those alone.