What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fafner

Quote from: Alberich on October 11, 2013, 09:47:52 AM
I follow HCBailly too!

Now, GTA V...

I love it. But I still think it is little overrated, most complaints I have are pretty minor things, for ex. it felt too short. Some missions were ridiculously short, like for ex. buying a mask. That's it. My favorite characters are Lester (the smart guy in wheelchair), and Dave (the FIB agent, the one who is not a total asshole).

I'm playing GTA V and it is great. The level of detail is astonishing. I don't have a problem with the length of the campaign. I have already put like 60 hours in the game and I'm still nowhere near finishing it. But I often spend hours just fooling around, doing stuff, without playing a single story mission.

Red Dead Redemption was the same. It kept me occupied for several months, and I was just riding around, hunting animals and playing poker for hours at a time.   8)

http://www.youtube.com/v/iQnCjGiPFnc
http://www.youtube.com/v/CPY_EZCQa6s
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

DavidW

I picked up GTA V awhile ago but became immediately bored with it, and wished that I had not wasted money on it.

I'm currently playing LEGO Lord of the Rings.

Fafner

Quote from: DavidW on October 14, 2013, 03:36:15 AM
I'm currently playing LEGO Lord of the Rings.

I have that for Vita. I have not played it yet. None of the Lego games.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

modUltralaser

Quote from: -abe- on October 13, 2013, 10:28:57 PM
It's certainly an experience.

It's challenging and,, often,  deceptively hard. So many times I'd end up bashing my head against the wall over a particular sequence only to go "oh, that's how you do it" But it is quite brutal in parts.

Another thing: I'm convinced that it's a game designed in part to be a communal experience. I quite enjoyed talking about it with a friend who was crazy about it and gave me plenty of advice.

I think I've completed about 40% so far. And I have 60 hours logged in.  :-\

All super solid points, I won't be able to play it until December likely as my job consumes up most of my time, but I'm super stoked to get a crack at it.

Currently I'm replaying DA:O and DX:HR.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on October 14, 2013, 05:32:13 AM
Awesome!

I think DX:HR might just be in my top five games of all time. It's simply extraordinary. DA:0 ain't half bad either, love the length, depth, and intrigue of it, but I think DA II was the superior game. I'm super hyped for DA:I.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: -abe- on October 13, 2013, 10:12:23 PM
And there are so many great sequences, like the onset of the World of Ruin -- so cinematic and eerie. Graphics don't matter. All that's required is creativity!
That was one of my favorite moments.

Quote from: -abe- on October 13, 2013, 10:17:23 PM
Did you become aware of this in your play-through, Greg?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Vanish-Doom_Bug
Wow lol. That is a pretty serious bug that I didn't even know about.
I played the Advance version, so it says that I wouldn't have been able to do that on bosses, anyways. 

lisa needs braces

My younger brother and I used to refer to this as the break-out theme. It always played whenever anything super dramatic happened and the team got ready to fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJBMK4EsNuI

ibanezmonster

A little less than 1/3 through FF5 right now, but I just have to say, for now... wonderful game. The music is some of the most consistently great from track to track that I've heard, the job system is great as they say it is (because of the ability to add an ability from other jobs), and the story is a bit better than what people have been saying about it.

modUltralaser

You'd think growing up with the early-1990s era of gaming that quick saving would simply be an instinct...

Fafner

Just started playing Grandia. I've never played the game before, it is quite charming.
   --- Anna Russell

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on October 14, 2013, 03:36:15 AM
I picked up GTA V awhile ago but became immediately bored with it, and wished that I had not wasted money on it.

Have you played the other Grand Theft Auto games? Surely you knew what you would be getting into?

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Have you played the other Grand Theft Auto games? Surely you knew what you would be getting into?

I've played IV, I thought they would fix the things that I didn't like about it.  They did, I still don't like it.  I don't care for the snide way that you phrased that rhetorical question.  I like other Rockstar games, and I like open world games including ones similar in style and tone to GTA.  I had every expectation of liking it, but I did not.

Josefa89

I play WoW  :-[ I know I know, but I can't help it

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Josefa89 on October 18, 2013, 06:29:22 AM
I play WoW  :-[ I know I know, but I can't help it

We've all been there, friend.  ;)

TheGSMoeller

Thought this was an appropriate place to post this. Came across this track the other day and memories came flowing in like the wind  ;). Always been one of my favorite gaming experiences, and of course as always, great music. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Dragon Roost Island from this album...

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZUUll4N3u80

stingo

I have both volumes those recordings and they are fantastic!

ibanezmonster

Yesterday I finished Final Fantasy 5, so now I have finished 1-12!
I will play the FF13 trilogy sometime next year when FF13:Lightning Returns comes out and would like to play some of the other spin-offs eventually.

Favorites in order:
10-2

I only disliked 1 and 2, btw.

ibanezmonster

I liked the story of FF5 better than most, but some things about it were hard to take seriously- like when you thought you killed ExDeath (a very generic main villain), he reveals that he turned into a splinter and hid on a characters body because his true form was a tree. ::) Wtf, game?

Check this out. This is the wonderful scenery and music I saw to end my Final Fantasy journey. Seriously, a minute into this video, you see them on chocobos and Krile on a Hiryu, journeying across the plains with that grand, adventurous Uematsu score- that's the point I lose it. How can you not love that?  :o I mean, that sums up how I feel about the whole series in a nutshell and what it has done for me- adventures in a world where real adventuring isn't quite possible.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JUqe798LS7g

ibanezmonster

Only playing FF11 right now...

man, there's just something about FF8; I'm not sure what it was, but I think it's really that something that the PS1 Final Fantasies (7-9) had. I think it is the combination of bearable graphics, incredible music and NO voice acting.

Why is that these games create such an intense obsession after playing them? I finished FF8 earlier this year yet already go through times when just thinking about the game gives me a sense of overwhelming nostalgia. Not sure I mentioned on this thread when I first rented FF9 years ago and in-between the few months of returning the game and then buying it, I dreamed about it seven times.

I'm just wondering if there are any games out there that have the soul of something like FF7, 8, or 6, etc.? (I was listening to the OST yesterday of FF8 and really had to umm... hold back). Not that I would play it immediately, but I'm just wondering.