What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Finally finished Dawn of War: Winter Assault, and checked out Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Not sure how I feel about single player campaign map, since it seems to eliminate a lot of the story telling from the previous games.

ibanezmonster

I think I should quit Final Fantasy 11. I've played enough plenty of the game to say that I've "played" it, though I haven't even done any of the expansion stories. There's a lot I want to do in the game, sure, but if I have free time, I'd kind of rather spend it doing something equally as fun that is constructive at the same time, such as studying Japanese. Also thinking about going to back to drawing after many years.

I really should stop playing games for and watching anime for a long time. So I might not even play the rest of the FF13 trilogy or finish FF13.
Actually, if I'm studying Japanese, I'll be watching plenty of anime while studying the scripts, but not new ones, so probably that wouldn't count.

Mirror Image

Bought this tonight at Walmart for $25 (which was apart of their Black Friday sale):

Regularly this is a $60 game. Could have bought Arkham Origins for a similar price but backed out of that one based on the fact that the developer Rocksteady had nothing do with the game.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on November 28, 2013, 05:28:05 PM
I really should stop playing games for and watching new anime for a long time.
Seems I'm going to make a compromise with myself.

No games on the computer, but console only games- just playing stuff I already have and will get soon on the PS2 (which is in my brother's room) and the PS3 (which is in the living room). Being in these rooms will really put a time limit on to how much I can play them.

This year I ended up gaming quite a bit, though the last several years I'd only play, maybe, 2 games a year. I think it pretty much started in the spring- with the 70 hours a week of work and school, I decided that in my free time I'd just spend time doing what I wanted to do most, which was playing Final Fantasy 8. (I had been wanting to play that game for years). Then the idea of playing all of the other Final Fantasy games came about...  :P

ibanezmonster

Anyone planning on getting the Oculus Rift when the consumer version comes out next year?

http://www.youtube.com/v/eFK1_miZ0eU

This guy has some of the best Oculus Rift game playthrough videos. Often, they are scary, but sometimes they are just crazy, like the last one, where it simulates you being a giant elephant and knocking stuff over.

ibanezmonster

Another good one:
in this game, you have to hold down both control keys, while crazy stuff happens to you.

http://www.youtube.com/v/_7xWp2iQDwU

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Greg on November 30, 2013, 08:18:24 PM
Anyone planning on getting the Oculus Rift when the consumer version comes out next year?

http://www.youtube.com/v/eFK1_miZ0eU

This guy has some of the best Oculus Rift game playthrough videos. Often, they are scary, but sometimes they are just crazy, like the last one, where it simulates you being a giant elephant and knocking stuff over.

The Oculus Rift is a bridge too far in sheer geekery.

I'll let other geeks absorb the early adopter shaming and eventually get on board when it becomes mainstream.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: -abe- on December 01, 2013, 05:50:03 AM
The Oculus Rift is a bridge too far in sheer geekery.

I'll let other geeks absorb the early adopter shaming and eventually get on board when it becomes mainstream.
Sounds like you care too much about what other people think of you.  :P
I only haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting for the final, complete product; better to wait than spend $300 on something unfinished.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on November 30, 2013, 07:03:26 PM
Seems I'm going to make a compromise with myself.
Even more... going to experiment with ways of playing FF11 that don't consume my time. If that doesn't work, I'll unsubscribe.

*end monologue

DavidW

I finished Beyond Two Souls.  I thought that it was an incredible experience, I don't care what the critics think. I loved it.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Greg on December 02, 2013, 04:42:36 AM
Sounds like you care too much about what other people think of you.  :P
I only haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting for the final, complete product; better to wait than spend $300 on something unfinished.

Stuff like Dungeons and Dragons and Magic The Gathering always struck me as a bridge too far as well. But maybe you're right.  :-\

PaulR

Fafner

Terraria.

I picked it up for Vita a few days ago and I cannot stop playing.

Definitely one of my top purchases since I got the handheld.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on December 03, 2013, 09:01:41 AM
Even more... going to experiment with ways of playing FF11 that don't consume my time. If that doesn't work, I'll unsubscribe.

*end monologue
Scrapped that plan and have been playing the game constantly. I'm at the point now where I can solo many of the storyline missions, and they can go by quite quickly. I should be able to "finish" the game (by my definitions) in a reasonable amount of time now. I suppose I just am not the type to give up or quit...

The downside of this game is that one you've got it going, you never want to step outside. Probably more than ever I realize how dull the real world is in comparison. The real world is just crap, simply. It would be nice if it weren't crappy enough to fantasize about staying in and playing video games for the rest of your life...

DavidW

I found another awesome game!  I'm thoroughly addicted to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on the 3DS.

stingo

Quote from: DavidW on December 31, 2013, 11:44:47 AM
I found another awesome game!  I'm thoroughly addicted to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on the 3DS.

I've heard very good things about it so I may pick it up as well.

Got back into MMOs - Final Fantasy XIV:  A Realm Reborn. The art style isn't to my taste, and sometimes the music isn't either, but the jobs/class system is pretty awesome, especially the gathering/crafting professions.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: stingo on December 31, 2013, 01:32:56 PM
Got back into MMOs - Final Fantasy XIV:  A Realm Reborn. The art style isn't to my taste, and sometimes the music isn't either, but the jobs/class system is pretty awesome, especially the gathering/crafting professions.
I know some people who have played it (a friend recently took a break from it, though) and was enthusiastic about the job system. He mentioned something about being able to change your class by changing your weapon or something...

If I recall correctly, instead of doing a subjob system as in 11, you only have one job at a time, but you can add abilities from other jobs to your selected job (3 or so at a time?); this reminds me of FF5, where each character has a job but has one additional slot where you can use an ability from another job (of course, which would have to be learned first for that character). And of course, FF5 has one of the most critically acclaimed job systems ever.

DavidW

Been playing Call of Duty: Ghosts.  Despite all of the hate poured onto it by the internet... it IS fun!! 

GuybrushThreepwood

For iphone:

1. Hoplite, great roguelike. Pure strategy, real fun.

2. Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Best Tower defence I have ever played on the phone.

Philo

Fallout: New Vegas has been my main play with a bit of dabbling in Deus Ex: Invisible War and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.