What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

I've logged about 1050 hours in FF11 and have played probably about 800 or so now... I'm done with about half of the storyline missions, but am way further along than that sounds. I'll almost definitely be done with the stories this month, and from there on there are one or two more jobs that I want to level and gear up nicely so I can help out other members of my linkshell with endgame stuff.

18 hour game day a few days ago...  ???

ibanezmonster

ibanezmonster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n5kRRHDpw

This looks fun, if you're ready for a workout. Most immersive gaming experiences to date.

Rinaldo

Best strategy game I've played in quite a while: rymdakpsel ("space capsule" in Swedish)

http://www.youtube.com/v/5tiip5sJQAE

I'm glued to the recently released PC version. It's a tower defense game mashed up with Tetris and zen meditation. And quite a challenge too, when played in the advanced mode. Great music, too - there are only two extended tracks, one very Neu!-like, the other one straight from the repertoire of Brian Eno, but they both create a wonderful atmosphere. Highly recommended!

Philo

Currently replaying Dragon Age I and II. Getting my saves prepped for Dragon Age III.

DavidW

Tomb Raider (the new one, the reboot) and I love it!

ibanezmonster

Will be coming to my first stopping point soon in Final Fantasy 11!  :)
By that I mean I won't pick it up for a long time, possibly a few years from now. I'll probably be done in a week or so, just gotta finish up the Wings of the Goddess storyline. After that, I plan to make a long post about my thoughts about the game.

ibanezmonster

Final Fantasy 11 (2002-)

I have finished my personal "Stage 1" of this game. My character profile, which includes most (by far not all) of my stats and achievements:
http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Shiva/Redrumage

Basically, I leveled one job which was able to solo 99% of the storyline missions. I finished all of the storyline missions in the game except the new Seekers of Adoulin, which I am part of the way through; this storyline isn't even complete and still being written, so I'll have to complete it one day when it is finished.

Nation Storylines:
There are three nation storylines, and I did all three of them: San D'oria, Bastok, and Windurst. My favorite story was Windurst, though San D'oria is what I started with and it will always feel like a second home to me. Bastok is boring, but at least they have Cid. Windurst is such a peaceful place, a place that would be very nice to live in.

Expansion Pack 1: Rise of the Zilart (2003)
Shortest storyline other than one specific annoying mission. I feel that this is like the prelude to Chains of Promathia.

Expansion Pack 2: Chains of Promathia (2004)
Basically the length of some Final Fantasy games. When this came out, it required massive group play for missions lasting several hours, and everyone had to play perfectly to get through the storyline. Everything about it had an "elitist" air about it.
Excellent storyline and most demonstrative of what a Final Fantasy story is actually supposed to be. Top-notch and epic.

Expansion Pack 3: Treasures of Aht Urghan (2006)
A whole new continent is unlocked in this expansion. The storyline tends to be more humorous than epic, as you're working as a mercenary, aka "Eternal Slave" for your master, Naja Salaheem. Imagine a mideastern feel, but with a touch of blue.

Expansion Pack 4: Wings of the Goddess (2007)
The longest storyline, it takes as many hours to be this as a proper Final Fantasy game; it takes place in the past, 20 years ago during the Crystal War, so it has the same areas you're used to, but slightly different. Probably the best storyline, but it wasn't my favorite, if that makes any sense.

Add-on Scenarios: A Crystalline Prophecy, A Moogle Kupo D'Etat, and A Shantotto Ascension (2009)
I've almost finished all of these; I could literally finish these in a few hours if I wanted to, but I just hate asking for help. Nowadays, there's no reason to do these other than the achievements, or if you want, to experience the silly or mediocre storylines. The gear you get as a reward is simply outdated. And if you fail the final battles (which are incredibly tough), you have to redo the previous mission, which take normally at least an hour to complete. Not highly regarded by many.

Add-on Battlefields: Scars of Abyssea, Heroes of Abyssea, Visions of Abyssea (2010)
All I've done in Abyssea is a worm party, once. These are just areas that people use for finding rare items, leveling up or making money (no story). I got all three of these add-ons for free during a promotion, saving me $30! Worm parties are used for quick leveling, so assuming it isn't your first job, you can level up a job from 30 to 99 in a single day.

Expansion Pack 5: Seekers of Adoulin (2013)
So far, the storyline is completely unmemorable, but then again, I'm only somewhat near the beginning. It introduces a new continent, which is very easy to navigate... unless it's for the first time. Colonization reives are basically road blocks to progress and have been an endless source of frustration. This is where most endgame events normally take place, as you can see many players decked out with gear that drops from the megabosses in these zones. I regret not leveling up a job at this point which is acceptable for joining an endgame event that my linkshell (my group) likes to form parties for.

What I want to do for the next time I pick up the game for a few months or so: level up cooking and fishing crafts; level up (at least) samurai, black mage, thief, corsair, and red mage; focus on samurai the most by acquiring tp sets and/or the most current relic armor, possibly doing something similar with corsair; get at least artifact armor for red mage, possibly black mage as well; participate in things like Voidwatch, Monstrosity, etc. However, before I return to FF11, I may end up picking up FF14 first.  ;)

And that's what I spent 1000+ hours on...

ibanezmonster

Just started up playing Final Fantasy 14: ARR. Got on my friend's server just in case he makes a return to the game. My new system runs it perfectly. However, I might need to run to the store to get a sound card since after many hours today I can only conclude that my onboard sound is dead.

Name: Ibanez Monster
Server: Goblin
Race: Sun Seeker Mi'Qote Female (bluish black hair, she is really lovely)
Job: Pugilist, so starting in Ul'Dah

The UI in this game is just great. I realize now exactly how terrible the UI for FF11 was. (I heard the original FF14 was extremely terrible, though lol).

Moonfish

What a fun thread!
I am thinking about getting back to Skyrim, but it is such a time sink.... *shiver*       >:D

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Philo

Replaying Fallout: New Vegas. Just love that setting and vibe.

DavidW

Picked up the legendary edition of Skyrim for the ps3 now that I no longer own a 360.  Immediately encountered a very frustrating and known bug.  After all this time the ps3 version is still buggy!!?!?!?!?! >:(

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on April 06, 2014, 05:59:02 AM
Picked up the legendary edition of Skyrim for the ps3 now that I no longer own a 360.  Immediately encountered a very frustrating and known bug.  After all this time the ps3 version is still buggy!!?!?!?!?! >:(

They should have titled it "The Legendary Bug Edition". :)

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
They should have titled it "The Legendary Bug Edition". :)

Yes!  I also hesitate in playing New Vegas on the ps3.  Bugs ahoy!

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on April 06, 2014, 10:26:17 AM
Yes!  I also hesitate in playing New Vegas on the ps3.  Bugs ahoy!

It's a shame that there hasn't been a patch offered for Skyrim. I mean it's really ridiculous. If video game companies would invest more time into getting their games right, then rushing it out due to a deadline, there would less problems.

Moonfish

Quote from: DavidW on April 06, 2014, 05:59:02 AM

I have this feeling of that Bethesda always been entrenched in the PC realm and simply expanded to 360 and PS3 for the financial opportunities. It is ridiculous that there are bugs in the PS3 version at this point in time.
Still, the enormous game world (which is one of the attractive aspects of Skyrim) invites the presence of bugs so I guess it is a catch 22?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

DavidW

Quote from: Moonfish on April 06, 2014, 12:19:51 PM
I have this feeling of that Bethesda always been entrenched in the PC realm and simply expanded to 360 and PS3 for the financial opportunities. It is ridiculous that there are bugs in the PS3 version at this point in time.
Still, the enormous game world (which is one of the attractive aspects of Skyrim) invites the presence of bugs so I guess it is a catch 22?

I'm not talking quest breaking bugs.  I'm talking about not being able to save or load a game.  That is nothing to do with the size of the world, and it has everything to do with incompetence and laziness.

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2014, 11:13:48 AM
It's a shame that there hasn't been a patch offered for Skyrim. I mean it's really ridiculous. If video game companies would invest more time into getting their games right, then rushing it out due to a deadline, there would less problems.

Amen.  We pay to be beta testers.  It used to be pre-internet that games were written to be bug free or as close as possible before being shipped.  Now day 1 patches are common.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2014, 11:13:48 AM
People just can't wait. And that's why those who work in the games industry sleep under their desks each night.