What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on April 06, 2014, 06:00:55 PM
People just can't wait. And that's why those who work in the games industry sleep under their desks each night.

Then people need to learn the value of patience. It's that simple.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2014, 06:10:56 PM
Then people need the value of patience. It's that simple.
Like that'll ever happen.  :P

Moonfish

Quote from: Greg on April 06, 2014, 06:00:55 PM
People just can't wait. And that's why those who work in the games industry sleep under their desks each night.

But I bet they get free pizza and beer.....      :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: DavidW on April 06, 2014, 02:52:17 PM
I'm not talking quest breaking bugs.  I'm talking about not being able to save or load a game.  That is nothing to do with the size of the world, and it has everything to do with incompetence and laziness.

Yes, no excuse for that....     :'( :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

bwv 1080

captures the history well I suppose, because it is a total slaughter

ibanezmonster

Level 25 Pugilist... halfway there. Although considering how much work is involved in leveling in the 20s and how much is required later on, probably not even halfway there.
Also level 10 goldsmith. Crafting in this game is actually quite fun, whereas in FF11 it was actually quite torturous and I was really amazed to see people get so many crafts up to high levels. And I do plan to get level 50 Goldsmith...

And once I hit level 30 Pugilist, gotta get Lancer to level 15 (which will take ~3 days) also so I can actually make my Pugilist a Monk. Doing Ul'Dah for the main quest and might quit there when I'm done, since I don't know how much time I'll have to do endgame stuff (would like to quit at the end of the month, preferably). Then onto finishing the last few hours of FF13 and playing FF13-2 and FF13-Lightning Returns to have played through FF1-14. I guess FF1-12 wasn't enough for me.  :P

Philo

Still plodding my way through Fallout: New Vegas. Just soaking in all that atmosphere. Also, looking at adventure games, specifically the FMV sort.

Philo

Just completed The Plan, a game much like Journey (free on Steam) - One word: Haunting. The game took me about 5 minutes.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250600/

Currently playing Beneath a Steel Sky, a classic point-and-click adventure game (free on GoG)
http://www.gog.com/game/beneath_a_steel_sky

ibanezmonster

Anyone know any good sites for game saves with emulators?

The reason is, I should be done with my list of Final Fantasy games I wanted to play by the end of next month (finishing up 14's main scenario and the 13 trilogy), so I'm not going to be playing any games that are a time sink for quite a while.

However, I want to visit some game worlds in my free time. I realized something while playing through the list of Final Fantasy games several hours each day since last year- I've been feeling unusually happy overall. They're simply the ultimate escape and must be satisfying some sort of psychological need, possibly the most important one. In order to not get caught spending so much time playing more RPG's, though, I'd like saves of some of the older RPG's I've played on the PS1 and PS2, and transferring the saves to PC is no easy task (if I still have them).

I'm starting to envy people with no hobbies or talents that just play video games in their spare time. I could write some music, for example, but playing a game would be much more fun...  :-\

DavidW

I think you would throw up Greg!  I would want a roller coaster sim, that would be awesome imo.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2014, 08:38:16 AM
I think you would throw up Greg!  I would want a roller coaster sim, that would be awesome imo.
Saw this a while ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rz45nMa6k

Nah, I don't get sick on spinning stuff; would be fun stuff. Even funner would be if they included the actual rolling first person view of Sonic's spin.

DavidW

ibanezmonster

Hmmm... thinking I might just stop at my current level of 30 for goldsmithing and mining in FF14 and only getting Monk to 50. This means ~20 more days of playing, but it wouldn't average much more than an hour a day because I'd do duty roulette (1/2 level per day) and the main scenario.

Also seriously considering waiting until I'm done with that to finish the FF13 trilogy. So I could just anticipate being done with this crazy project in a few months instead of one month so that I can have plenty of free time starting now. Drawing and studying Japanese are basically open-ended "projects" without a finish, so I could just focus on that most of the time starting now. Then there would be no stress to quickly finish these projects I create for myself that I rush because they have an end and I wanna get done with them. No finishing games, no writing music, etc... will be very different.

ibanezmonster

What is the deal with Skyrim being a timesink when the main scenario only takes 31 hours?

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9859

I see that a leisurely completist can take over 800 hours to get everything... that's still a lot, but when I have in mind FF11, where the top players who obviously have spent many thousands of hours playing the game don't even have many of the mythic/relic/empyrean weapons, it's not really that much.

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on May 03, 2014, 06:55:09 AM
What is the deal with Skyrim being a timesink when the main scenario only takes 31 hours?

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9859

I see that a leisurely completist can take over 800 hours to get everything... that's still a lot, but when I have in mind FF11, where the top players who obviously have spent many thousands of hours playing the game don't even have many of the mythic/relic/empyrean weapons, it's not really that much.

Why are you comparing a single player to an MMO?  MMOs are designed to be time sinks revolving around grinding and collecting loot.  Single player RPGs are meant to be narrative driven experiences.  Saying that one is better than the other because you can do the same repetitive work for longer is absurd. 

The deal with Skyrim having a short main campaign is that the guild campaigns and the side quests are the majority of the game.  As it is in every Elder Scrolls game.  Each guild plotline takes usually about as much time as the main campaign.  I remember in Oblivion the plot twists made the fighters guild story more interesting than the main quest.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Philo on May 19, 2014, 04:01:38 PM
Bought:
The Novelist
Papers Please
The Cat Lady
The Shivah
Micy Roll
Reperfection - Volume 1
Trauma

Free:
Bad Dreams Part 1-5
Mainichi
Mudlarks

Good stuff. Haven't played The Novelist yet but I'm looking forward to it. Papers are ace and I really enjoyed the lucid-dreamlike quality of Trauma.

ibanezmonster

Final Fantasy 13

[Got halfway through the last boss when I accidentally switched the power off. Haven't watched the ending scene yet.]

Finally, after starting a year ago, I finished a few days ago. 65+ hours to get through through this and did almost none of the optional sidequests. I can't really say anything new about this that hasn't already been said, but you have to separate it from other Final Fantasies to really enjoy it. Graphics-wise, it's the prettiest game I know of and the final dungeon is pretty awesome. The music is better than I expected, but the storyline doesn't really inspire much.

Also, this game can be pretty difficult. I can't believe people actually say that you can play the game using any paradigm, etc. Either they're trolling or actually haven't played the game. It gets pretty specific in what you have to do later in the game- just as much strategy is involved as the previous games in the series even though the battle system is entirely different.

ibanezmonster

Final Fantasy 14: A Real Reborn

[Okay... technically I have two dungeons (~2 hours worth of gameplay) to finish the main scenario, but I just felt like writing this right now]

I got my monk to the level cap of 50, miner & goldsmith to 30... storyline is honestly pretty disappointing and boring most of the time. It gets better near the end, but doesn't change the fact that throughout much of the main scenario, you are just doing errands for various NPCs.

Graphics = excellent, music = so-so...

It's kinda hard to judge an MMORPG that is so new, but I have two things I don't care for that are permanent features:

1. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of dungeons, which were a new thing to me in a way, since these are... what's the word? "Instanced?" Doing a daily duty roulette is the quickest exp, so that's what I did a lot of.

2. The battle system is simpler than FF11 but quicker-paced. It just feels more "simplistic" with the hotbars, etc.

There will be a ton of stuff added pretty soon and if I decide to quit playing and resume, I still have to play Chronicles of a New Era, Patch 2.1-2.2, and whatever patches come out. Oh yeah, and the expansion pack whenever it comes out.

FF15 comes out Dec.31 and I don't have a PS4...  :-X

DavidW

I picked up the new Wolfenstein game.  Look forward to shooting Nazis.  The school year is almost over, just a couple of weeks left.  I can't wait for a break.