What game are you playing?

Started by DavidW, May 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I haven't played a video game in such a long time. I suppose I simply don't need them anymore. If a new Legend Of Zelda comes out that was as remarkable as Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, then it's possible my enthusiasm for video games may return, but I'm not going to hold my breath for this to happen. The Wii U has been a colossal failure or so it seems.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2014, 06:23:43 PM
I haven't played a video game in such a long time. I suppose I simply don't need them anymore. If a new Legend Of Zelda comes out that was as remarkable as Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, then it's possible my enthusiasm for video games may return, but I'm not going to hold my breath for this to happen. The Wii U has been a colossal failure or so it seems.

I feel the same.  I didn't have time to play games from February through May because I was so busy.  So when summer came around, I should have been enthusiastic.  I'm not.  I play a bit of a game, get bored and move on.

I also wonder about the new Zelda game.  But for me, Bioware is the company that got me into gaming.  It's all on Dragon Age 3.  Either it will renew my flagging interest, or it will cause me to give up on gaming altogether.

I was going to buy an Xbox One when I finished my ps3 backlog, but no.  What a boring console.  I'm going to simply sell my ps3, and have only two consoles instead of three.  If the Wii U doesn't pick up the pace soon, I'll sell that too.  And then there will be only one-- the ps4.

Anyway as for gaming, I've only really liked one game that I've played this summer-- Super Mario 2 on the 3ds.  Alot of people have crapped on that game and praised Super Mario 3d Land.  But I'm opposite, I like the elegance and polish of the 2d sidescroller.  And it's not as short as land is, and doesn't suffer from that awful choice to lock levels until you collect enough stars.  Don't make a short game long by forcing the player to replay and replay.  Make a longer game!

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 09, 2014, 06:04:31 AM
I feel the same.  I didn't have time to play games from February through May because I was so busy.  So when summer came around, I should have been enthusiastic.  I'm not.  I play a bit of a game, get bored and move on.

I also wonder about the new Zelda game.  But for me, Bioware is the company that got me into gaming.  It's all on Dragon Age 3.  Either it will renew my flagging interest, or it will cause me to give up on gaming altogether.

I was going to buy an Xbox One when I finished my ps3 backlog, but no.  What a boring console.  I'm going to simply sell my ps3, and have only two consoles instead of three.  If the Wii U doesn't pick up the pace soon, I'll sell that too.  And then there will be only one-- the ps4.

Anyway as for gaming, I've only really liked one game that I've played this summer-- Super Mario 2 on the 3ds.  Alot of people have crapped on that game and praised Super Mario 3d Land.  But I'm opposite, I like the elegance and polish of the 2d sidescroller.  And it's not as short as land is, and doesn't suffer from that awful choice to lock levels until you collect enough stars.  Don't make a short game long by forcing the player to replay and replay.  Make a longer game!

I hear you, Dave. I suppose that 'child' within me that loved video games has simply died. Like you, I get quickly bored with games these days. This, however, isn't to say I don't love playing some classics like Donkey Kong Country or even Super Metroid once in awhile, but, overall, there have been hardly any newer generation games that I've gotten excited about. The last game that I played and fell absolutely in love with was Shadow of the Colossus on PS2, but that's been quite some time back. I just think I'm at that stage now where video games have no relevance or importance in my life anymore. It's sad for me to say this, but it's the truth.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 09, 2014, 06:45:19 AM
I suppose that 'child' within me that loved video games has simply died.
That sounds too sad. Could also just be a phase. I went from about 2008-2012 only playing one game a year, and right now (though I do find some games quite interesting) I'm not excessively compelled to play anything other than FF11. Many new games still don't appear interesting to me.

VR may change a lot, though, long-term.

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on July 09, 2014, 08:41:56 AM
Could also just be a phase.

Yeah that phase is called the Wii U lifetime. :D

As for you Greg, you're tapering off of gaming is consistent with the tapering off of the jrpg.  Ditto MI and Nintendo games.  Maybe you guys didn't change, just your favorite genres are being marginalized.

Come to think of it that could be true for me too.  My favorite genre is the western rpg.  There was a perfect storm of two Bioware games and the great Skyrim all within a few months.  After that both companies were done, and it takes years to develop new games.  So I haven't been able to play what I like the most in a couple of years (except of course by replaying the older games).

This is a bad year for gaming.  Most of the big releases for the ps4 and xbox1 are for 2015 because the studios have to put in extra time making their games work and work well on those next gen consoles.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on July 09, 2014, 10:54:04 AM
As for you Greg, you're tapering off of gaming is consistent with the tapering off of the jrpg.  Ditto MI and Nintendo games.  Maybe you guys didn't change, just your favorite genres are being marginalized.

Come to think of it that could be true for me too.  My favorite genre is the western rpg.  There was a perfect storm of two Bioware games and the great Skyrim all within a few months.  After that both companies were done, and it takes years to develop new games.  So I haven't been able to play what I like the most in a couple of years (except of course by replaying the older games).
This may be entirely true and was at the back of the mind but not quite articulated yet...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 09, 2014, 08:41:56 AM
That sounds too sad. Could also just be a phase. I went from about 2008-2012 only playing one game a year, and right now (though I do find some games quite interesting) I'm not excessively compelled to play anything other than FF11. Many new games still don't appear interesting to me.

VR may change a lot, though, long-term.

No need to worry. The joy I get from ripping the plastic from a newer acquired CD really gets me excited and that new smell from the booklet is like one of the finest perfumes I know. One whiff and I'm a child all over again.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 09, 2014, 05:31:26 PM
No need to worry. The joy I get from ripping the plastic from a newer acquired CD really gets me excited and that new smell from the booklet is like one of the finest perfumes I know. One whiff and I'm a child all over again.
;D

DavidW

I've been playing Infamous 2.  Like the first game it's pretty fun.  Has the same uninspired design of the first game too though.  As you progress through the game introducing enemies that take different tactics to defeat would be interesting.  But too often the designer instead just throws more and more baddies at you instead.  More baddies does not equal more fun, it equals irritating.  Could you imagine if the approach to Mario was to keep repeating the same level but with more and more goombas?

Which brings me to another point, for every large open world filled with locales to discover, there is some shitty small town open world which ends up being smaller than a more traditional game.  This game is the latter.  I just don't see the point of having a city to explore if (a) the city is small, and (b) you can't go into any buildings.

Sadly enough this is the best gaming experience I've had all summer.  Also I have less than two weeks left of summer break.

ibanezmonster

I just ordered the Oculus Rift DK2. New shipments start in September.

It was $350 + $22 shipping, but considering how much money I have right now, it's a better deal spending it rather than waiting. I hear so much good stuff about the DK2 that I'm wondering what in the world is left for improvements. I mean, it'll be at least 6 months to a year before the commercial release is available, and I check for news about it every single day, so I figured why not just buy one?

Might consider even playing Skyrim on it...  8)

stingo

Quote from: Greg on July 25, 2014, 07:16:17 PM
I just ordered the Oculus Rift DK2. New shipments start in September.

It was $350 + $22 shipping, but considering how much money I have right now, it's a better deal spending it rather than waiting. I hear so much good stuff about the DK2 that I'm wondering what in the world is left for improvements. I mean, it'll be at least 6 months to a year before the commercial release is available, and I check for news about it every single day, so I figured why not just buy one?

Might consider even playing Skyrim on it...  8)

Please report back!

ibanezmonster

Quote from: stingo on July 25, 2014, 08:27:31 PM
Please report back!
Will do. Waiting over a month for it to arrive is going to be excruciating, though.  :-X

Jaakko Keskinen

I like dragon age origins more. Sten is extremely funny character in his deadpan comments. The real gem is when player finds The Urn of Sacred Ashes. Pretty much all other party members are admiring in their comments about it but Sten says: "Congratulations, you've found a waste bin." At first the part where Loghain betrays Cailan made me think "Oh great, once again the same old eeevvviiiill traitor type" but thankfully the game reveals that he is not nearly as one-dimensionally evil as he first seems. Loghain actually is one of my favorite characters in the game full of wonderful ones although probably no-one beats Sten. He is just hilarious despite being perfectly serious most of the time.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

DavidW

I've been playing Silent Hill 2.  I had to get over how awful the hd remaster is, and also how clunky the controls are and the camera.  But I have actually forgiven those aspects of the game, and what remains is awesome. 

Rinaldo

Speaking of RPGs, Divinity: Original Sin turned out pretty great. I love the way battles incorporate the environment - striking a puddle of water with lightning magic stuns anybody standing in it, casting a chill spell in the rain freezes the wet enemy, etc.

Also, most quests can be solved by different means and the fact that you can control your characters separately makes for interesting situations (e.g. chatting up a guard with one character, picking a lock with the other).

stingo

Quote from: Rinaldo on August 01, 2014, 10:07:52 AM
Speaking of RPGs, Divinity: Original Sin turned out pretty great. I love the way battles incorporate the environment - striking a puddle of water with lightning magic stuns anybody standing in it, casting a chill spell in the rain freezes the wet enemy, etc.

Also, most quests can be solved by different means and the fact that you can control your characters separately makes for interesting situations (e.g. chatting up a guard with one character, picking a lock with the other).

I've heard really good things about it - and will get it once I get my new PC.

ibanezmonster

A question for anyone who might know.
When MMO's are about to be discontinued, is there usually a notice in advance? (like a year, maybe?)

stingo

Quote from: Greg on August 08, 2014, 06:09:52 AM
A question for anyone who might know.
When MMO's are about to be discontinued, is there usually a notice in advance? (like a year, maybe?)

Yes - the community would pitch a fit if they didn't. My only experience with that was when EA shut down Earth and Beyond. They gave ample notice they were going to do it.

Thread duty: new PC, old games running better - Diablo III.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: stingo on August 08, 2014, 08:54:46 AM
Yes - the community would pitch a fit if they didn't. My only experience with that was when EA shut down Earth and Beyond. They gave ample notice they were going to do it.
Good to hear, and makes sense. Looked it up and saw that it was a 6-month notice.

Possibly a good comparison to make for FF11 would be EQ. EQ came out 3 years earlier than FF11 and is still active. As long as that game is still going, IMO that's a good sign for FF11. And SE said that they'll continue with the game as long as it makes money (actually, they have been making updates every month recently!).

(Going to try to take a break from FF11 at least for the rest of the year... looks like they should be finishing the storyline of the most recent expansion before too long)... would love to follow the game for many years to come.

stingo

Since you're asking about FF XI, have you tried FF XIV? I remember XI being very console-y but XIV isn't. XIV's job system is great (in my opinion) because your character can be anything, and tradeskills are treated as real jobs in that they have their separate abilities etc. As you level in jobs you can use some of the powers from other jobs in your current one.