[Desert Island] Mozart PC 24 vs Beethoven PC 3

Started by Opus106, May 11, 2010, 01:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one would you prefer on The Island?

Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 24, K. 491
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3, Op. 37

Opus106

You can change you preference at a later time, if needed.
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Perhaps because I've been listening to Uchida's new recording (as dark and moody a K.491 as I've ever heard) the choice is easy: Mozart's C minor.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DavidW

It is a close call, but that Beethoven concerto is tops for me, one of the best ever written. :)

springrite

Mozart.

The only Beethoven PC that could change that is #4.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Twelve votes cast at this point and.... :o ...Beethoven is not winning! Is that a first on this forum? ;D

Sarge

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on May 11, 2010, 07:51:56 AM
Mozart.

Unfortunately it's not in C minor, nor was it particularly inspired by Mozart's.

It's Mozart for me too; for one, it's Mozart in a minor key, which never fails to be favouritised; the second reason is that Beethoven's piano concerti never appealed to me as much as his other orchestral works including the violin and Triple Concerto (yes, I can hear the gasps of horror :D). I actually like No. 5, but the works never felt like concerti to me. Perhaps the orchestral parts overpower the piano, or perhaps I haven't listened to them in a loo...ong time.  ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Josquin des Prez

Mozart. Beethoven was too much of a misanthrope. His concertos simply do not show the same level of enthusiasm for the form.

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 11, 2010, 07:56:41 AM
Twelve votes cast at this point and.... :o ...Beethoven is not winning! Is that a first on this forum? ;D

Sarge

13 -- and Mozart's leading! ;D Didn't B lose to Schubert in 8th Symphony Poll?
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on May 11, 2010, 08:00:27 AM
13 -- and Mozart's leading! ;D Didn't B lose to Schubert in 8th Symphony Poll?

Allegedly...but I've never accepted those results. I'm sure the poll was rigged. We needed Jimmy Carter's supervision but he was engaged elsewhere unfortunately.

Sarge

WI Dan

Quote from: springrite on May 11, 2010, 07:51:56 AM
Mozart.

Yep.  (Sorry, Ludwig.)

Gabriel

This is difficult. However, even being aware of and admiring its beauty, I've always felt some kind of distance with Mozart's KV 491 that I don't feel towards many of the other concertos. On the other hand, Beethoven's third concerto is probably my favourite among his five, and I've always been fond of the unexplainable beauty of the second movement and of the wonderful coda of the first movement.

My vote, in this specific case, goes to Beethoven.

Bulldog

I vote for Mozart.  Beethoven's 3rd thru 5th are outstanding, but Mozart's the king of the piano concerto.

mc ukrneal

It's tied at 10 each. A tie sounds about right to me!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Voted for Mozart.  Helped by two facts: No. 24 is one of my favorite Mozart concertos, and No. 3 is one of my less favorite Beethoven concertos.

Gabriel

Quote from: Bulldog on May 11, 2010, 01:31:23 PM
...but Mozart's the king of the piano concerto.

I think the same, in general. I would have probably chosen Mozart over Beethoven if other of the great piano concertos (there are so many) had been selected for the poll.

Daidalos

It has got to be Mozart. While I love Beethoven's concerto, the K491 has always had a special place in my heart.
A legible handwriting is sign of a lack of inspiration.

Luke

Mozart for me too - my own reasoning being that, given the desert island scenario, I think the Beethoven would begin to pall first.  :)

Franco

Quote from: Luke on May 12, 2010, 10:38:03 AM
Mozart for me too - my own reasoning being that, given the desert island scenario, I think the Beethoven would begin to pall first.  :)

That was my reasoning precisely.

:)