Your favourite counter-tenor?

Started by False_Dmitry, May 18, 2010, 03:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which counter-tenor do you rate most highly?

Alfred Deller
Russell Oberlin
James Bowman
Andreas Scholl
David Daniels
Michael Chance
Lawrence Zazzo
Phillipe Jaroussky
Jochen Kowalski
Brian Asawa
Christopher Robson
(other - please name)
Derek Lee Ragin
Drew Minter
Dominique Vissé
Rene Jacobs
Robin Blaze
Henri Ledroit
Gerard Lesne
Paul Esswood
Daniel Taylor

False_Dmitry

And, if you would like to, tell us, and which works you have most enjoyed hearing?  :)

Please feel free to mention performers who may not be on the "international" circuit, but whom you've seen or heard where you are, or on your travels?

(Could we make this more about enjoying, rather than, err, "owning"? :) )

I will happily add names to the list by request, and I've enable vote-changing with that in mind :)  But you only get one vote, to make it more interesting :)

"Of all the NOISES known to Man, OPERA is the most expensive" - Moliere

DarkAngel

very easy choice for me Phillipe Jaroussky, I have all the Vivaldi operas for Naive label and think he is currently in a class by himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ifquyvCEo&feature=related

Que

I'm missing some countertenors that have sung Bach, like the (in)famous René Jacobs, Kai Wessel and Kurt Equiluz. French Dominique Vissé is missing. Also Drew Minter and Derek Lee Ragin come to mind.

For a comprehensive list - divided in male altos, sopranists and (counter)tenors: http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/performers/countertenors.html

Q

Tsaraslondon

Having heard David Daniels live on many occasions, I would put him among the world's great singers, who, incidentally, happens to be a countertenor. He has extended his repertoire well outside the normal countertenor fare, to include Berlioz's Les Nuits d'Ete, and even Broadway show songs. In all honesty, I never much liked the countertenor voice, and, some years ago, was reluctantly taken along to an all Vivaldi concert, at which he was singing music from the Vivaldi disc he recorded with Fabio Biondi. Surprisingly I was mesmerised from first note to last, and I think I have heard him on each subsequent visit to these shores, in a wide range of music. Quite aside from his impeccable technique, and the beauty of the voice, he has a gift for communication which is rare and treasurable.
Some time ago, I started a topic called 10 Singers Who Changed my Life. David Daniels was one of those ten.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Que on May 18, 2010, 08:07:54 PM
I'm missing some countertenors that have sung Bach, like the (in)famous René Jacobs, Kai Wessel and Kurt Equiluz. French Dominique Vissé is missing. Also Drew Minter and Derek Lee Ragin come to mind.

I added your nominations to the poll, if you would like to vote for them :)  But surely Kurt Equiluz is a tenor?  I remember him singing the tenor part in Bach's Magnificat on one of the early Das Alte Werke recordings (on vinyl in the 1970s - I was too young to afford such luxuries at the time, but borrowed from a library), I'm sure?  I think he also sang the Evangelist in both of the Bach Passions,  and also had an opera career in comic and buffo roles?  I believe he is still with us, but enjoying a happy retirement from the stage now.

I omitted Visse since he's mainly a buffo and caricature singer (and a good one), although maybe he has some fan-following in that repertoire.  I left Jacobs off the list since he's now mostly a conductor...  but some may like to vote for his older disks as a singer. 

False_Dmitry

I see that no-one who has voted for Scholl (currently in the lead) in the poll has mentioned him in the discussion?  ;)

My own vote was for Scholl, and I'll mention why...  it's the happy combination of voice-timbre, vocal technique, musicianship, and stage presence.

I am also a fan of Daniels and Jaroussky :)   Although his voice reflects the technique of a different generation (taught as a male alto in the "English Cathedral" school) I ought to mention my huge respect for Deller as a musician - his early recordings of the Purcell operas were a landmark at the time.

DarkAngel

Scholl is without  doubt excellent within his more relaxed comfort zone but he rarely goes for the ultra dramatic da capo arias that Jaroussky has a natural affinity for, his imaginative exciting ornamentation makes him my favorite......so your favorite counter tenor is in part going to depend and what style of baroque singing you most prefer

False_Dmitry

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 19, 2010, 09:33:33 AM
but he rarely goes for the ultra dramatic da capo arias that Jaroussky has a natural affinity for, his imaginative exciting ornamentation makes him my favorite

That's very true, and Jaroussky has the edgy "danger" to his ornamentation that must have been part of the whole "castrato superstar" thing of the time :)

Although Scholl is no slouch at it either - his solo disk "Heroes" included some of the more challenging and florid stuff - more showpiece material (Pallido il sole) than deeply-considered composition, but there's room for that too :)  And good to see Hasse on these solo disks, alongside the more well-known Handel warhorses :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q0LU8np8uA

Bulldog

Although I know there's been plenty of criticism of James Bowman, he gets my vote for the most treasured disc I have of Handel arias (Heroic Arias on Hyperion with prison inmate Robert King conducting).  It will be interesting to see what King does with his life when he gets his freedom.

DarkAngel

Quote from: False_Dmitry on May 19, 2010, 10:36:13 AM
That's very true, and Jaroussky has the edgy "danger" to his ornamentation that must have been part of the whole "castrato superstar" thing of the time :)

Although Scholl is no slouch at it either - his solo disk "Heroes" included some of the more challenging and florid stuff - more showpiece material (Pallido il sole) than deeply-considered composition, but there's room for that too :)  And good to see Hasse on these solo disks, alongside the more well-known Handel warhorses :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q0LU8np8uA

I love to see videos of the recording sessions, so much to see!
I also love to see musicians in the group look up and smile when they are having such fun, Jaroussky shoots for the moon in the final run and succeeds brilliantly getting spontaneous reactions from the musicians, yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PTeoDDZNA&feature=related

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 19, 2010, 10:48:14 AM

I love to see videos of the recording sessions, so much to see!
I also love to see musicians in the group look up and smile when they are having such fun, Jaroussky shoots for the moon in the final run and succeeds brilliantly getting spontaneous reactions from the musicians, yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PTeoDDZNA&feature=related

I found that hard to watch.  Just more evidence as to why I don't care for video with my music.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Bulldog on May 19, 2010, 10:47:46 AM
It will be interesting to see what King does with his life when he gets his freedom.

OFF-TOPIC
King is no longer at Her Majesty's Pleasure, and was released in 2009.  His former band have split, many leaving to start "The Retrospect Ensemble", but some others - plus some new players - have stayed, reverting to the name of "The King's Consort" with King as MD.  He's also been involved - without the ensemble, as MD -  in some film soundtracks for mainstream movies.  It's unclear whether the fortunes of The King's Consort can be revived with the renewed name and line-up - whatever other difficulties they may face, it's a very bad economic climate to be launching anything much that's new.  Which reminds me parenthetically that we should have had the excellent King's Consort regular Robin Blaze in the poll from the outset, and I'll add him now.

Scarpia

To paraphrase the politically insensitive remark that used to be made about Indians in old cowboy movies, the only good countertenor is a retired countertenor.

Antoine Marchand

I would add two French counter-tenors to the list: Henri Ledroit and Gerard Lesne. Although Lesne is better known than Ledroit -as founder and director of Il Seminario Musicale-, Ledroit was a marvelous singer, especially in those collaborations with the Ricercar Consort in the 80s.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: False_Dmitry on May 19, 2010, 03:17:30 AMBut surely Kurt Equiluz is a tenor?  I remember him singing the tenor part in Bach's Magnificat on one of the early Das Alte Werke recordings (on vinyl in the 1970s - I was too young to afford such luxuries at the time, but borrowed from a library), I'm sure?  I think he also sang the Evangelist in both of the Bach Passions,  and also had an opera career in comic and buffo roles?  I believe he is still with us, but enjoying a happy retirement from the stage now.

Certainly one of the bests Evangelists in the whole Bach discography.

Sergeant Rock

I chose other. The only bargain-counter tenor I can stand to listen to is John Ferrante who worked tirelessly with Peter Schickele in presenting to the world the works of Bach's least favorite son, P.D.Q.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Que

Quote from: False_Dmitry on May 19, 2010, 03:17:30 AMBut surely Kurt Equiluz is a tenor? 

Indeed! :) Sorry, I confused him with Paul Esswood singing in Teldec's Bach cantatas series.

Q

Marc

Other: Gérard Lesne.

First time I heard him was on Virgin discs, as member of the Bach Band of Herreweghe. But I also like him in other repertoire, like French baroque sacred music. Beautiful tone.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Marc on May 20, 2010, 01:16:31 PM
Other: Gérard Lesne.

Nope.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 19, 2010, 06:49:59 PM
I would add two French counter-tenors to the list: Henri Ledroit and Gerard Lesne. Although Lesne is better known than Ledroit -as founder and director of Il Seminario Musicale-, Ledroit was a marvelous singer, especially in those collaborations with the Ricercar Consort in the 80s.

;)

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 19, 2010, 06:49:59 PM
I would add two French counter-tenors to the list: Henri Ledroit and Gerard Lesne.

Both are now added to the Poll on your nomination :)  A reminder that you are able to change your vote if you wish (for example, from "other" to named singer who has been added subsequently).