Kindle vs Nook vs.....?

Started by drogulus, May 26, 2010, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on January 14, 2014, 06:50:46 AM
Much as I like my Nook . . . Davey's store of e-readers has opened possibilities to me.  Getting a Kindle in, later today.  Having two e-readers is not crazeee, is it?

Not to me, I own the Kindle 3, 4 Silver, 4 Black, Paperwhite II, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo, and Kobo Aura HD.  I gave the Paperwhite I to my Father.  But yes of course collecting ereaders is silly.  I only use the Paperwhite II currently.

A new feature for the Paperwhite II and the Kindle app that I really like is making the default to show as page numbers. I do like page numbers the best, better than locations, better than time left to read.

k a rl h e nn i ng

Well, there are some Kindle titles (Hex High School, e.g.) which are not available on the Nook ... so I think that if I keep myself to two e-readers, I am out of the danger zone 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on January 14, 2014, 04:30:08 PM
Not to me, I own the Kindle 3, 4 Silver, 4 Black, Paperwhite II, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo, and Kobo Aura HD.  I gave the Paperwhite I to my Father.  But yes of course collecting ereaders is silly.  I only use the Paperwhite II currently.

A new feature for the Paperwhite II and the Kindle app that I really like is making the default to show as page numbers. I do like page numbers the best, better than locations, better than time left to read.

Hi David - BOY, you've really tried a lot of these readers! I'm still using my iPad 2 from spring of '11; Susan has migrated from a Color Nook to an iPad Mini - I plan to buy an iPad Air in the spring of this year - looking forward to the Retina display - I do read books (usually Amazon Kindle app purchases) & about a half dozen magazines on the device - the 4x increased resolution on the Air will be a relief to my aging eyes.

As a general observation, I'm finding reading physical books more difficult, likely for a variety of reasons:  1) My eyes are not the same (similar experience for my wife) and the type seems to have gotten smaller?  I now attach 'knitting' magnifiers to my glasses (absolutely needed now for CD booklets!); and 2) My attention span has really deteriorated probably in part related to using computers and jumping back & forth from one tab to the next - wondering if others have had this experience, esp. those in later life?  But, I just feel that e-books (mags etc.) will be my preferred reading choice for the rest of my life.  Dave :)

DavidW

Dave, I also own the iPad Mini.  I'm thinking of trading in it for the iPad Air.  You've mentioned better resolution, bigger screen... but it is also a faster machine.  I mostly use the mini for internet browsing and it is so slow.  I'm also tired of expanding the screen or switching to that special read mode, I want the bigger screen.

It's nice that we don't have to put up with small font anymore, but I do know that my Father uses a much larger font than I do. I laugh until I realize that will be me someday.

k a rl h e nn i ng

Coincidence?  One minute I am sending a message to a friend proposing that we meet at a Barnes & Noble.  Seconds later, a Nook alert arrives on my cell phone.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 05, 2016, 09:09:18 AM
Coincidence?  One minute I am sending a message to a friend proposing that we meet at a Barnes & Noble.  Seconds later, a Nook alert arrives on my cell phone.
Meeting in barns for nooky is common enough, if perhaps not noble.

Parsifal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 05, 2016, 09:09:18 AM
Coincidence?  One minute I am sending a message to a friend proposing that we meet at a Barnes & Noble.  Seconds later, a Nook alert arrives on my cell phone.

Text message, not email? From a cell phone or from a nook tablet?

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Scarpia on November 06, 2016, 06:15:23 AM
Text message, not email? From a cell phone or from a nook tablet?

The Messenger app;  so, sure, I can imagine that app communicating with the Nook app on the Android phone.  ("I can imagine" = "Of course, I must have ticked the box consenting")
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Parsifal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 07, 2016, 05:17:16 AM
The Messenger app;  so, sure, I can imagine that app communicating with the Nook app on the Android phone.  ("I can imagine" = "Of course, I must have ticked the box consenting")

Google admits to scanning your gmail to "improve your ad experience" (i.e., earn them more advertising money) but that is data you consciously put on their server. I have never heard of anyone disclosing that they scan your text messages, but this suggests they do.

A quick look around seems to indicate that people tend to think the messages sent via Google Hangouts are scanned, but I always assumed that SMS text messages are between you and your phone carrier.


k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Scarpia on November 07, 2016, 06:04:23 PM
Google admits to scanning your gmail to "improve your ad experience" (i.e., earn them more advertising money) but that is data you consciously put on their server. I have never heard of anyone disclosing that they scan your text messages, but this suggests they do.

A quick look around seems to indicate that people tend to think the messages sent via Google Hangouts are scanned, but I always assumed that SMS text messages are between you and your phone carrier.



This isn't a phone carrier text message, but conversation via the Facebook-related Messenger app.  I probably was not clear.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Parsifal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 08, 2016, 05:00:25 AM
This isn't a phone carrier text message, but conversation via the Facebook-related Messenger app.  I probably was not clear.

Oh, I would take for granted that any messenger app is scanned for marketing purposes.

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Scarpia on November 08, 2016, 06:52:52 AM
Oh, I would take for granted that any messenger app is scanned for marketing purposes.

Indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Parsifal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 08, 2016, 07:14:45 AM
Indeed.

I only use iMessage, or SMS to non-iPhone contacts. I never noticed any evidence of something in an iMessage or SMS message being mined for marketing purposes, but I wouldn't rule it out. Recently Apple introduced some sort of integration of iMessages and Apps, and that seems to open a whole new can of worms.


k a rl h e nn i ng

My Nook may have died (the power button appears inoperative now.) To be fair, the device is ten years old.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 29, 2022, 06:01:19 PM
My Nook may have died (the power button appears inoperative now.) To be fair, the device is ten years old.
Eek!  Is it something that you can bring in to get fixed?  It might be worth it to check and see (and if it's also financially viable).

PD

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 30, 2022, 05:15:12 AM
Eek!  Is it something that you can bring in to get fixed?  It might be worth it to check and see (and if it's also financially viable).

PD
Almost certainly not worth it (the warranty's long expired) the power button seems to have recessed into the case. Nothing for it but to get a fresh device, meseems.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 30, 2022, 05:19:36 AM
Almost certainly not worth it (the warranty's long expired) the power button seems to have recessed into the case. Nothing for it but to get a fresh device, meseems.
This video may help you (stilted though it be):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZUn4MjbZo

Or there might be other solutions out there; I just did a quick google.  And I don't know what version of it you have too.  ;)

PD

k a rl h e nn i ng

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

BOY!  My response below, 8 years ago in this thread - I'm still reading physical books (just enjoy the feel and smell - most ordered from History Book Club and some from Amazon/Apple) - but 2 of 3 books I read are on my iPad (now an 11" Pro w/ retina screen) - yes, more expensive that a dedicated reader but used as my complementary computer, so like being able to do web browsing, email, Zinio for magazines, photos, etc.  Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 14, 2014, 04:49:05 PM
Hi David - BOY, you've really tried a lot of these readers! I'm still using my iPad 2 from spring of '11; Susan has migrated from a Color Nook to an iPad Mini - I plan to buy an iPad Air in the spring of this year - looking forward to the Retina display - I do read books (usually Amazon Kindle app purchases) & about a half dozen magazines on the device - the 4x increased resolution on the Air will be a relief to my aging eyes.

As a general observation, I'm finding reading physical books more difficult, likely for a variety of reasons:  1) My eyes are not the same (similar experience for my wife) and the type seems to have gotten smaller?  I now attach 'knitting' magnifiers to my glasses (absolutely needed now for CD booklets!); and 2) My attention span has really deteriorated probably in part related to using computers and jumping back & forth from one tab to the next - wondering if others have had this experience, esp. those in later life?  But, I just feel that e-books (mags etc.) will be my preferred reading choice for the rest of my life.  Dave :)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 30, 2022, 05:19:36 AM
Almost certainly not worth it (the warranty's long expired) the power button seems to have recessed into the case. Nothing for it but to get a fresh device, meseems.

I'm aware of technicians who will try to fix an iPhone, etc, outside the ecosystem of Apple stores. Perhaps a little googling will turn up someone in your area who works on other gadgets.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington