Lulu (Alban Berg)

Started by Cosi bel do, October 29, 2014, 03:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 23, 2015, 02:53:28 AM
This production played in Amsterdam last season (albeit with a different cast), and only got hum ho reviews from the press. Especially the staging was thought to be 'too overwhelming', and critics wrote that there was too much going on and too little drama in the acting of the singers. I saw it twice and was a little on the fence about the whole thing, although it did impress me the first time I saw it. I am extremely surprised it's getting such raves in New York.

During this evening's live Sirius broadcast of Jenufa, they announced that the Lulu had just been released on DVD.  I also found the staging "too overwhelming" when I saw it "Live in HD", and David Brenna's Alwa underwhelming (his Laca tonight's better), so I'll probably pass.  Do I really need a tenth DVD version of Lulu, anyway?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

bhodges

Just in time for the holiday season (or at least, mine): this 'Lulu' with the fearless Barbara Hannigan, directed by Krzysztof Warlikowski and filmed at La Monnaie in Brussels. It's available for six weeks, and some of us will probably be watching more than once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ILffdDE2U

--Bruce

T. D.

Quote from: Brewski on December 14, 2021, 07:45:38 PM
Just in time for the holiday season (or at least, mine): this 'Lulu' with the fearless Barbara Hannigan, directed by Krzysztof Warlikowski and filmed at La Monnaie in Brussels. It's available for six weeks, and some of us will probably be watching more than once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ILffdDE2U

--Bruce

Thanks.
Just watched a few minutes. Singing excellent, music as well in that limited hearing.
However, the production is, uh, extravagant...more regietheater than I prefer. Must be getting conservative in my old age! Don't think I could watch the whole thing.
Now I'm going to have to spin my recording (Boulez/Stratas)! Will look for other performances on Youtube.

bhodges

Quote from: T. D. on December 14, 2021, 08:03:14 PM
Thanks.
Just watched a few minutes. Singing excellent, music as well in that limited hearing.
However, the production is, uh, extravagant...more regietheater than I prefer. Must be getting conservative in my old age! Don't think I could watch the whole thing.
Now I'm going to have to spin my recording (Boulez/Stratas)! Will look for other performances on Youtube.

Ha! (I haven't watched it yet -- likely later this week, or maybe for Christmas Day! ;D ) The Boulez/Stratas version is certainly marvelous, perhaps the gold standard. And browsing YouTube, I see someone has uploaded a video of that performance, which I didn't know existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Cjm_wa6VI

--Bruce

T. D.

I scouted around Youtube last night.
The Boulez/Stratas video quality is really fuzzy, so I passed.
I watched a few scenes from a Salzburg production with Petitbon as Lulu, will revisit that one. The video quality is exceptional (many close-ups), must have been a special filming.

staxomega

Quote from: T. D. on December 15, 2021, 11:14:07 AM
I scouted around Youtube last night.
The Boulez/Stratas video quality is really fuzzy, so I passed.
I watched a few scenes from a Salzburg production with Petitbon as Lulu, will revisit that one. The video quality is exceptional (many close-ups), must have been a special filming.

Yes indeed, very good. I never would have imagined Patricia Petibon as Lulu, but she is incredible.