Britten Bach Longbox

Started by BMW, May 30, 2010, 06:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMW

Found this at the thrift store today (along with some other great music) and figured that, before going ahead and opening it, I should check here and see if anybody is interested in or collects this sort of thing and would be interested in a trade.  It is a copy of Brandenburg Concertos 4-6 conducted by Britten in an unopened (though slightly beat-up) clear plastic longbox.  Still has a $9.99 price sticker from Tower.

knight66

I think you should go ahead and enjoy it. Britten always has things of interest to show us whenever he conducted or performed other composer's music.

Bach became a particular interest to Britten through the performances of Pears. Together they started a series of weekend studies and performances of Bach's music. Apart from the above, Britten recorded th St John Passion and from the Aldburgh Festival, live performances of a couple of cantatas. So what you have provides the insights one composer had on another whom he revered.

If you open it, do let us know what you think.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

BMW

Quote from: knight on May 30, 2010, 10:28:00 PM
I think you should go ahead and enjoy it. Britten always has things of interest to show us whenever he conducted or performed other composer's music.

Agreed!  I just wanted to make sure that there was not someone around here who had an interest in collecting unopened longboxes.  This is understandably unlikely at a forum of listeners but you never know who is into having a lot of sealed music around the house (other than some of those over at the CDCDCD thread  :D )  It will probably be open and in the CD player by the end of the day.

knight66

Oh, we have certainly had one or two through the forum who seem to have hundreds, even thousands, of unopened discs. Not sure that any of them are around right now.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Scarpia

springrite

Quote from: Scarpia on June 02, 2010, 12:44:05 PM
What is a longbox?

Sealed long plastic box, with the CD in its case at the bottom and the booklet at the top, thus it is (vertically) long.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on June 02, 2010, 12:44:05 PM
What is a longbox?

Seriously?

Remember in the '80s, those boxes CDs came in? That's a longbox.

MN Dave

Quote from: springrite on June 02, 2010, 12:45:35 PM
Sealed long plastic carboard box, with the CD in its case at the bottom and the booklet at the top, thus it is (vertically) long.

MN Dave

Well, anyway, longboxes in the US had the CD with booklet in the bottom of the box.

Scarpia

I see, now I have vague recollections of such things. 

BMW

Scarpia

Quote from: BMW on June 02, 2010, 01:04:26 PM

I had entirely forgotten that such things existed.

The one sure way to see if anyone is obsessively collecting such things is to look on ebay.

Renfield

An interesting cultural find for me, this 'longbox'! $:)

BMW

Quote from: Renfield on June 02, 2010, 01:15:44 PM

Interesting for me as well!  CDs in longboxes could be displayed in the same spaces that had previously been filled with LPs (the box made them just as tall).

springrite

I'd love to have a longbox of the first bunch of CDs, on which a sign says something like "You'd need to purchase a CD player in order to play this recording.", in addition to a rather long essay about the advantages of CD technology.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

DavidW

Those longboxes were stupid! >:(  I remember them.  What I didn't know at the time was that they were made so that retailers wouldn't have to replace their shelves that were built for the longer lps.

Renfield

Quote from: springrite on June 02, 2010, 01:24:58 PM
I'd love to have a longbox of the first bunch of CDs, on which a sign says something like "You'd need to purchase a CD player in order to play this recording.", in addition to a rather long essay about the advantages of CD technology.

As far as the latter goes, it's always fascinating to me when perusing archival reviews, the bemusement with which some among the British press (at least) treated this newfangled compact disc thing. ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: springrite on June 02, 2010, 01:24:58 PM

The essay, at least, is evident in the booklet of the older CD issues.  Now, this essay has been replaced with a new essay saying that if you burn a copy of this CD you are a bad bad person and are making poor record executives suffer.

Scarpia

Quote from: Renfield on June 02, 2010, 01:15:44 PM

Even more rare is the "longtube" which contained a parchment scroll with the CD resting at the bottom.   ;D

Renfield

Quote from: Scarpia on June 02, 2010, 01:39:26 PM
Even more rare is the "longtube" which contained a parchment scroll with the CD resting at the bottom.   ;D

The infamous Dead Sea Tubes, I take it?