Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 07:28:30 AM
Oddly, no one ever seems to mention Ashkenazy's Shostakovich 24 p&f. It was my introduction to the piece, and the only recording I've ever listened to.

I've not heard it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2018, 07:45:49 AM
I've not heard it!

It seems to be out-of-print and rare these days. I seem to recall it was a standard choice back in the day, before lots of recordings started coming out.

[asin]B00005FKSA[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 07:49:15 AM
It seems to be out-of-print and rare these days. I seem to recall it was a standard choice back in the day, before lots of recordings started coming out.

[asin]B00005FKSA[/asin]

This languishes in my Wish List, chiefly for the Ashkenazy.

[asin]B000FG4KBE[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

It's been a while, but I recall thinking very highly of the Ashkenazy Op. 87 (preferring it over the excellent Scherbakov) - and of the rest of that box. ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on May 24, 2018, 09:03:33 AM
It's been a while, but I recall thinking very highly of the Ashkenazy Op. 87 (preferring it over the excellent Scherbakov) - and of the rest of that box. ;)

Noted, good sieur!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 07:49:15 AM

[asin]B00005FKSA[/asin]

Yeah, I've praised this set many times on the board, and I've spent an almost equal amount of time fighting with Bulldog who decidedly isn't a fan of the set! :D
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2018, 07:46:24 PM
Just bought:

I've had my eye on this set ever since I bought the Melnikov set on Harmonia Mundi, but I finally decided to just go for it.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2018, 07:51:07 PM
Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

I've had my eye on this set ever since I bought the Melnikov set on Harmonia Mundi, but I finally decided to just go for it.

Essential. I prefer her Hyperion set — a minority opinion — but both are great.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on May 24, 2018, 08:38:21 PM
Essential. I prefer her Hyperion set — a minority opinion — but both are great.

Why would you say you find the Hyperion set more preferable? Yes, yours is a minority opinion as I've read that most listeners seem to prefer the 60s and 80s performances.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2018, 08:49:12 PM
Why would you say you find the Hyperion set more preferable? Yes, yours is a minority opinion as I've read that most listeners seem to prefer the 60s and 80s performances.
The better sound helps. I also found it more reflective. There's a lot of low-key stuff and I think that comes across better. I have all three and like them all.
I also like the set on Atma, but I forget the pianist right now.

amw

David Jalbert?

My reference is also the Ashkenazy, ideal combination of performer & work imo. But I used to have the Hyperion Nikolayeva (as MP3 files ripped from a library CD) and it was about equally good, maybe somewhat too demonstrative for my taste.

aukhawk

Quote from: Ken B on May 24, 2018, 09:01:28 PM
The better sound helps. I also found it more reflective. There's a lot of low-key stuff and I think that comes across better.

All this, I agree.

Madiel

The Hyperion set is the only one I own, and... I actually don't entirely like the sound and that's one of the reasons I'm considering getting a 2nd set. The acoustic is a bit distant for my taste.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

On March 24th we went to hear the Shostakovich Fourth in Symphony Hall.  (I am a little puzzled to find that I have not written of that evening, here on GMG?)  Anyway, maybe this is revisionism, but my impression (today) is that it was an amazing performance (back in March).  So when a promotional e-mail came in earlier this week announcing free shipping on pre-orders of the two-CD set of the Fourth and the Eleventh, at $22, I was corn to their sickle.  I placed the order today (expected to ship 10 July).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

PerfectWagnerite

I just heard DSCH's orchestration of Tahiti Trot today. Pretty amazing stuff that he orchestrated the thing in about 45 minutes and it is just SO Shostakovich like: the piccolo, e-flat clarinet, xylophone, muted trumpet all having a grand old time.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 22, 2018, 01:24:05 PM
I just heard DSCH's orchestration of Tahiti Trot today. Pretty amazing stuff that he orchestrated the thing in about 45 minutes and it is just SO Shostakovich like: the piccolo, e-flat clarinet, xylophone, muted trumpet all having a grand old time.

Yes! It's great. Not sure which performance you heard, but Chailly's Jazz Album includes the Tahiti Trot, and the rest of the album is full of DSCH's colorful instrumentation.

Just purchased this live performance from Mravinsky/Leningrad Phil of the 10th Symphony. Anyone familiar with it?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2018, 02:52:07 PM
Yes! It's great. Not sure which performance you heard, but Chailly's Jazz Album includes the Tahiti Trot, and the rest of the album is full of DSCH's colorful instrumentation.
I forgot the performers unfortunately.

I thought the announcer mentioned the Moscow Chamber Players but I can find it on Google right now.

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 22, 2018, 02:52:07 PM

Just purchased this live performance from Mravinsky/Leningrad Phil of the 10th Symphony. Anyone familiar with it?

Yes, although haven't heard it for a while. I recall it as a fine performance as is usually the case with Mravinsky.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).