Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Undersea on August 14, 2020, 06:25:17 PM
Hello fellow Shostakovich heads - I am looking for a bit more information on these 2 Cycles (which were mentioned a few pages back):

This set can be found for a good price at the moment - what I would like to know is are the recordings live like Kitajenko's Prokofiev Cycle?.

One of the reviews I read of this Cycle said that the tempos were a bit faster than usual which sounded appealing - any truth to that?.

Thanks for your help! :D
Just received the Kitajenko cycle after it had been held up for several months but haven't got round to listening to it yet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

Quote from: Undersea on August 14, 2020, 06:25:17 PM
One of the reviews I read of this Cycle said that the tempos were a bit faster than usual which sounded appealing - any truth to that?.

I can't speak for Sanderling Jr, but if you want fast tempi in Shostakovich look no further than Caetani, who also ticks the 'live' box.  (Kondrashin is another option if looking for 'fast' but Caetani is much better recorded.)

Symphonic Addict

https://www.youtube.com/v/-7ZGlnDW5FQ

There is only one word to describe this composition and interpretation given by Bashmet and Richer: devastating. Utterly devastating.

The funereal tone and pacing of both instruments on that concert hall provides a feeling of living the experience of a human being dying and saying bye. It's an acid, sardonic, deep and sinister farewell. It really moves me. I even heard passages on the viola like imitating devil tickling someone's feet. But there also are moments of unexpected lyricism, and they're more felt in the hectic 2nd movement, whick makes pass to the more serene and resigned Adagio, the longest movement. An overwhelming experience.

The summary of an atormented man suffering how death was getting closer to him. The valedictory work of a musician, his swan song, and not precisely an optimistic one.

By hearing it with that seriousness and total dexterity in a performance of impressive level, with such gravitas and pathos, it made me realize it's a masterpiece of the highest order, a proof to convince those who don't consider Shostakovich a composer of important heights. Moving to the bone.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 29, 2020, 07:18:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/v/-7ZGlnDW5FQ

There is only one word to describe this composition and interpretation given by Bashmet and Richer: devastating. Utterly devastating.

The funereal tone and pacing of both instruments on that concert hall provides a feeling of living the experience of a human being dying and saying bye. It's an acid, sardonic, deep and sinister farewell. It really moves me. I even heard passages on the viola like imitating devil tickling someone's feet. But there also are moments of unexpected lyricism, and they're more felt in the hectic 2nd movement, whick makes pass to the more serene and resigned Adagio, the longest movement. An overwhelming experience.

The summary of an atormented man suffering how death was getting closer to him. The valedictory work of a musician, his swan song, and not precisely an optimistic one.

By hearing it with that seriousness and total dexterity in a performance of impressive level, with such gravitas and pathos, it made me realize it's a masterpiece of the highest order, a proof to convince those who don't consider Shostakovich a composer of important heights. Moving to the bone.

I have three recordings of the viola sonata (one with Richter) and not one compares with this - you do wonder that great artists save their ultimate performance for concert rather then studio. I have been critical of Richter as a duo partner in the past as he is such a massive musical presence he can overshadow his partner. None of that here as he was the perfect accompanist, although I couldn't take my eyes of him! I dare say Bashmet had some input here. They were very close both musically and physically - I feared for Richter's well-being from Bashmet's baton and left elbow!

Everything you so eloquently write SA is spot on. I was captivated by the whole performance but moments I made note:
At 3.57, falling into a pit of devastation. 7.20 chilling to the bone. 27.30 from Shostakovich via Bashmet, a final scream of pent-up anguish and despair. After the scream, the work - and life itself - petered out to nothingness.

Thank you for posting link.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Herman

Quote from: Irons on August 30, 2020, 01:31:49 AM
I have three recordings of the viola sonata (one with Richter) and not one compares with this - you do wonder that great artists save their ultimate performance for concert rather then studio.

Like more DSCH pieces the Viola Sonata is a rather theatrical piece. It really needs an audience, and it's rather hard to bring to full life without; or rather with an audience of a couple engineers behind the studio glass.

Irons

Quote from: Herman on August 30, 2020, 01:41:30 AM
Like more DSCH pieces the Viola Sonata is a rather theatrical piece. It really needs an audience, and it's rather hard to bring to full life without; or rather with an audience of a couple engineers behind the studio glass.

Must admit it surprises me you find the viola sonata theatrical.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: aukhawk on August 18, 2020, 02:13:04 PM
I can't speak for Sanderling Jr, but if you want fast tempi in Shostakovich look no further than Caetani, who also ticks the 'live' box.  (Kondrashin is another option if looking for 'fast' but Caetani is much better recorded.)

Caetani's 8th is also super zippy, I compared some times below of the 1st mvt, the 4th Largo, and the finale

First Mvt.
Caetani: 20:45
Petrenko: 25:09
Haitink: 25:55
Rost/LSO: 26:35

3rd Mvt.
Caetani: 7:40
Petrenko: 9:34
Haitink: 8:49
Rost/LSO: 12:01

Final Mvt.
Caetani: 12:20 (13:20 with recorded applause)
Haitink: 14:50
Petrenko: 14:46
Rost/LSO: 16:14

krummholz

IMO the 1st movement of the 8th needs to be quite slow, so I doubt I'd like Caetani's reading. My favorite recording of this Symphony is Haitink's, though I think his 4th movement is a hair too fast.

relm1

Quote from: krummholz on August 30, 2020, 08:19:43 AM
IMO the 1st movement of the 8th needs to be quite slow, so I doubt I'd like Caetani's reading. My favorite recording of this Symphony is Haitink's, though I think his 4th movement is a hair too fast.

I'm with you.  But you should also check out the Previn/LSO on Deutsche Grammophon.  It's slow but my co-favorite with Haitink.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/shostakovich-symphonie-no-8-previn-1970

Karl Henning

The Haitink is an excellent Opus 65
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2020, 05:14:50 PM
The Haitink is an excellent Opus 65

It is very good.  I know we always talk about cycles but to me Haitink Decca is an excellent cycle from start to finish.  Sure, there might be one off recordings that are better for any symphony but as a whole, his interpretation, orchestras, performance, and recording are excellent.

TheGSMoeller

Pleasantly surprised by this recent release of DSCH's 13th by Muti & CSO. The only time I can remember hearing Muti conduct a DSCH symphony is an older EMI 5th with the Philadelphia SO, but this one of the 13th is remarkable. Muti offers a very tender, and dramatic interpretation that never feels rushed and never hurries past the many instrumental solos. Even the heavier moments of the piece are not overly bombastic, and continue an overall consistent tone throughout the work. This particular closing of the 13th symphony is the best I've ever heard it, the final celesta solo slowly closes out the work, and after the final bell the strings fade all at a pace that feels free from specific tempo. This to me is reminiscent of the closing of the 4th and 8th where triumph and tragedy are musically at odds. The overall effect of this recording is very dark, somber, and beautiful.

Other 13's I already own are Muti/NYP; Temirkanov/St. Petersburg; Jansons/BRSO; and most recently Petrenko/RLPh; and although I haven't actually looked at the timings I can easily tell that the Muti/CSO is slower than the others. 

aukhawk

Quote from: relm1 on August 30, 2020, 04:18:44 PM
I'm with you.  But you should also check out the Previn/LSO on Deutsche Grammophon.  It's slow but my co-favorite with Haitink.

Previn/LSO/DG 8th is just listless.  No vitality to it at all.  I like his earlier recording on EMI though, probably my favourite along with Caetani.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: aukhawk on August 31, 2020, 07:27:49 AM
Previn/LSO/DG 8th is just listless.  No vitality to it at all.  I like his earlier recording on EMI though, probably my favourite along with Caetani.

I really like Caetani's 8th too. My other favorites are Bychkov/BP, Jarvi/RSO and a surprise sleeper Slatkin/St. Louis.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 31, 2020, 07:18:16 AM
Pleasantly surprised by this recent release of DSCH's 13th by Muti & CSO. The only time I can remember hearing Muti conduct a DSCH symphony is an older EMI 5th with the Philadelphia SO, but this one of the 13th is remarkable. Muti offers a very tender, and dramatic interpretation that never feels rushed and never hurries past the many instrumental solos. Even the heavier moments of the piece are not overly bombastic, and continue an overall consistent tone throughout the work. This particular closing of the 13th symphony is the best I've ever heard it, the final celesta solo slowly closes out the work, and after the final bell the strings fade all at a pace that all feels free from specific tempo. This to me is reminiscent of the closing of the 4th and 8th where triumph and tragedy are musically at odds. The overall effect of this recording is very dark, somber, and beautiful.

Other 13's I already own are Muti/NYP; Temirkanov/St. Petersburg; Jansons/BRSO; and most recently Petrenko/RLPh; and although I haven't actually looked at the timings I can easily tell that the Muti/CSO is slower than the others. 

Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2020, 08:46:53 AM
One of the few versions that I haven't heard.  ::)

I have the CSO Resound release of the Fourth Symphony, and it is superb!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2020, 09:01:53 AM

Now that is one I haven't heard. Will search for it stream tonight. Thanks for the rec, Karl!

krummholz

Quote from: relm1 on August 31, 2020, 05:29:02 AM
It is very good.  I know we always talk about cycles but to me Haitink Decca is an excellent cycle from start to finish.  Sure, there might be one off recordings that are better for any symphony but as a whole, his interpretation, orchestras, performance, and recording are excellent.

From the symphonies I have in his cycle, I agree. I particularly love his 13th as well...

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2020, 09:01:53 AM
Wow! Sounds to be of great interest Karl.
I recently received the Kitajenko set but haven't sampled it yet.
It was remarkably inexpensive and brand new although I had to wait for ages to receive it.