Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

not the best version in existence, especially the 2nd movement, but has a fast tempo that makes it different - if perhaps inappropriate ...
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

bhodges

Quote from: Scion7 on September 25, 2020, 11:15:13 AM

not the best version in existence, especially the 2nd movement, but has a fast tempo that makes it different - if perhaps inappropriate ...

Ooh, I used to love some of those Ansermet recordings, but haven't heard this one. In my book, a fast tempo could work fine in this piece, but then, my range of what is "persuasive" is pretty wide.

--Bruce

Scion7

DS resided in Samara for a while during WW II - here one can purchase his CD's.
Back entrance, and front of the store. September 25, 2020.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

New release:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 08, 2020, 11:29:17 AM
but not Shostakovich fils.....?

No, indeed. Especially as I think that his HMV/Melodiya recording of Symphony 15 has never been surpassed. I'm not even sure that it's ever been released on CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Do you know of a detailed content list (conductors per symphony)? I looked around, but didn't find it ...

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 08, 2020, 11:43:43 AM
Do you now of a detailed content list (conductors per symphony)? I looked around, but didn't find it ...

Not officially released until tomorrow I think.
OK, here goes:

No.1 Rozhdestvensky
No.2 Gergiev
No.3 Rozhdestvensky
No.4 Barshai
No.5 Maxim - so he is there after all!
No.6 Jurowski
No.7 Ivanov
No.8 Mravinsky
No.9 Gergiev
No.10 Maxim and Mravinsky
No.11 Rozhdestvensky
No.12 Mravinsky
No.13 Kondrashin
No.14 Jurowski
No.15 Kondrashin

Think that's right but done in a rush + some shorter works.

MusicTurner

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 08, 2020, 11:29:17 AM
but not Shostakovich fils.....?

Actually RS Maxim does conduct symphs 5 and 10.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 08, 2020, 11:59:14 AM
Thank you!

My pleasure!

Other works included are:

Incidental Music to King Lear (Theatrical production)
Theme and Variations in B flat major, Op.3
Excerpts from The Gadfly
Festive Overture
Scherzo for Orchestra Op.1
+ Premiere recording of Symphony No.10 (1954/Mravinsky)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 08, 2020, 12:00:41 PM
Actually RS Maxim does conduct symphs 5 and 10.

I assume those are the ex-Collins/LSO performances (which I've never heard) rather than the the old Melodiya/HMV recordings I grew up with....?

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 08, 2020, 02:05:07 PM
I assume those are the ex-Collins/LSO performances (which I've never heard) rather than the the old Melodiya/HMV recordings I grew up with....?

That would be an interesting approach.  The Great Russian Conductors with English orchestras.  I have the Collins recordings of No. 5, 8, and I think 10 (can't remember).  They are excellent and very western sounding so it's interesting approach they didn't stick with Russian orchestras since I'm sure all those conductors worked with the Soviet orchestras in their day.  It might be a mix of Collins and Melodiya though.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 08, 2020, 02:05:07 PM

Yes, I just checked - they are both from Collins Classics.

Scion7

statue of DS in Samara yesterday - park by the Opera theater ... it was -14C outside   ???

Brahmsian

Listening to "The Limpid Stream" , with Rozhdestvensky conducting the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic, as I'm starting preparing Christmas dinner.

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 24, 2020, 07:33:07 AM
Listening to "The Limpid Stream" , with Rozhdestvensky conducting the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic, as I'm starting preparing Christmas dinner.

Now listening to The Bolt. Same conductor and ensemble.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on December 09, 2020, 11:45:38 PM

statue of DS in Samara yesterday - park by the Opera theater ... it was -14C outside   ???
Great!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 24, 2020, 09:05:53 AM
Now listening to The Bolt. Same conductor and ensemble.

Of his ballets I've only heard The Golden Age. What an incredibly fun work. I should have added to my best discoveries of this year.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brahmsian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 25, 2020, 06:30:41 AM
Of his ballets I've only heard The Golden Age. What an incredibly fun work. I should have added to my best discoveries of this year.

It is my favourite of Shostakovich's ballets!