Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Quote from: milk on March 16, 2021, 12:39:47 AM
I think this is a very unique and interesting recording I just discovered. Do you know this one? Mustonen plays a program of Bach's and Shostakovich's respective preludes and fugues. He intersperses the sets. I wonder if he did these live as well. He takes the tack of playing Bach more like Shostakovich rather than vice versa and it pretty much works. The way he plays Bach here ordinarily would annoy me. This much pianism in the hands of another could very well come across as tacky and crass. But somehow it works, by juxtaposition and even in the manner of a Feinberg if I can make such a lofty comparison. He's dynamically jagged, which could get on one's nerves in the Bach if he didn't switch over to Shostakovich. But his imagination shines through in both, by way of creative and energetic articulation, and makes this a winning effort.
Yes. I have this one and also the first volume (still on RCA). I agree that  Mustonen is unique and interesting but as you note also somewhat provocative and can get on one's nerves. I'd have to revisit these recordings but overall I thought them among his more convincing recordings (IMO his Beethoven is even more provocative and my favorite discs of his are probably the Hindemith/Prokofiev and Mussorgsky's "Pictures" + fillers). Even though the DSCH parts might be "better" (there is also not quite such an overwhelming competition as for the WTC) the juxtaposition is also interesting. (There is a live recording by Joao Carlos Martins and another Latin american pianist alternating Preludes from WTC I and Chopin which is even more of a curiosity but also interesting.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on March 16, 2021, 12:39:47 AM
I think this is a very unique and interesting recording I just discovered. Do you know this one? Mustonen plays a program of Bach's and Shostakovich's respective preludes and fugues. He intersperses the sets. I wonder if he did these live as well. He takes the tack of playing Bach more like Shostakovich rather than vice versa and it pretty much works. The way he plays Bach here ordinarily would annoy me. This much pianism in the hands of another could very well come across as tacky and crass. But somehow it works, by juxtaposition and even in the manner of a Feinberg if I can make such a lofty comparison. He's dynamically jagged, which could get on one's nerves in the Bach if he didn't switch over to Shostakovich. But his imagination shines through in both, by way of creative and energetic articulation, and makes this a winning effort.

I enjoy these.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2021, 08:05:05 AM
The Ormandy recording was my introduction to the symphony, and yeah the recording is first rate. 

For American conductors on DSCH I like the efforts of Leonard Bernstein/NYPO and not as well known Andrew Litton/DSO.

Lenny never did the Fourth did he? I agree that Lenny/NYPhil is pretty solid Shostakovich, with my own cautionary proviso that I have yet to listen to his NYPhil Leningrad, with the cut(s)

I think very highly of Maxim Shostakovich's Fourth, too. I need to revisit the Caetani Fourth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

My first introduction to the 4th symphony (along with the 10th) was with Ormandy/Philadelphia.  I took to the 10th immediately, but it took several years to finally appreciate and enjoy the 4th.  I really enjoy the Barshai and Petrenko readings of this symphony.

And, this one, which I realize is a sleeper choice (and albeit I am a bit biased) on this one, as Daniel Raiskin is the Music Director of my Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.  However, this has received generally positive reviews and I would not hesitate for one second in recommending this recording.

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 16, 2021, 10:10:45 AM
My first introduction to the 4th symphony (along with the 10th) was with Ormandy/Philadelphia.  I took to the 10th immediately, but it took several years to finally appreciate and enjoy the 4th.  I really enjoy the Barshai and Petrenko readings of this symphony.

And, this one, which I realize is a sleeper choice (and albeit I am a bit biased) on this one, as Daniel Raiskin is the Music Director of my Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.  However, this has received generally positive reviews and I would not hesitate for one second in recommending this recording.  This image doesn't show it, but it is on the SWR2 label.

Très intéressant!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2021, 09:52:00 AM
Lenny never did the Fourth did he? I agree that Lenny/NYPhil is pretty solid Shostakovich, with my own cautionary proviso that I have yet to listen to his NYPhil Leningrad, with the cut(s)

I think very highly of Maxim Shostakovich's Fourth, too. I need to revisit the Caetani Fourth.

Oh I'm not talking about the fourth in particular anymore.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2021, 11:40:46 AM
Oh I'm not talking about the fourth in particular anymore.

Gotcha. I don't mean "gotcha!" I mean, I got you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on March 16, 2021, 06:06:38 AM
Ormandy is from Hungary and Previn was born in Berlin, Germany.  Just teasing you though since they are also vintage American like those other Americans, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Igor Stravinsky, Ernst Bloch, Arnold Schoenberg, Max Steiner, Erich Korngold, etc...  :laugh: :P :laugh:
Good point!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2021, 09:52:00 AM

Oh, I have Maxim's box set so I must look out No.4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

And, this one, which I realize is a sleeper choice (and albeit I am a bit biased) on this one, as Daniel Raiskin is the Music Director of my Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.  However, this has received generally positive reviews and I would not hesitate for one second in recommending this recording.

+1 - that is one of the best modern performances IMO.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 16, 2021, 01:31:56 PM
+1 - that is one of the best modern performances IMO.
++1 - really very fine indeed.  At one point it was available as a really cheap Amazon download

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 17, 2021, 01:50:00 AM
++1 - really very fine indeed.  At one point it was available as a really cheap Amazon download

Well, I am quite happy to know that at least a couple of people know of and enjoy the Raiskin recording.  :D

Leo K.

I am really enjoying Stokowski's Shosty Symphony No. 6th. It is amazing and really making Shosty click for me.

bhodges

Thanks! IIRC, the composer thought that the 4th might be the greatest of his symphonies -- which is saying something. I got to know it later, well after many of the others, and it is formidable. Current favorite is Haitink/Chicago, but always eager to hear a new one.

--Bruce

relm1

Quote from: ultralinear on March 26, 2021, 03:29:07 PM
There are so many good modern recordings, and that is certainly one of them.

My current favourite - which I'm listening to right now - is Inbal conducting the Tokyo Metropolitan SO:

Which has amazing vigour, even beyond his earlier (also excellent) Vienna recording:

Though you do have to ignore the occasional intrusive vocalisations.  :-\ ::)

How do you like his recent 11?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Leo K. on March 26, 2021, 01:35:19 PM
I am really enjoying Stokowski's Shosty Symphony No. 6th. It is amazing and really making Shosty click for me.

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

It may have been posted before, so sorry if it's the case... :). There's a fascinating interview by conductor Kurt Sanderling on Shostakovich, man and composer - as well as on Mrawinsky, Kondrashin...

https://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/sanderling/sandint.html

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on March 27, 2021, 12:47:58 PM
It may have been posted before, so sorry if it's the case... :) . There's a fascinating interview by conductor Kurt Sanderling on Shostakovich, man and composer - as well as on Mrawinsky, Kondrashin...

Thanks, mon vieux, I haven't seen that before.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: André on March 27, 2021, 12:47:58 PM
It may have been posted before, so sorry if it's the case... :). There's a fascinating interview by conductor Kurt Sanderling on Shostakovich, man and composer - as well as on Mrawinsky, Kondrashin...

I really think this sums it up.  "Shostakovich would have loved to be the 'Soviet Mussorgsky'. And so he has shown himself as a teller of history in, for example, the Eleventh and Twelfth symphonies. Also, in the Fifth Symphony, with the so called 'triumph' at the end - we understood what he was saying. And it was not the 'triumph' of the mighty, those in power. There was no need for further explanation."

Brahmsian

Listening to this great performance of Symphony No. 1 in F minor, Op. 10