Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 30, 2021, 06:18:45 AM
Speaking of the 6th symphony, what would be folks' recommendations on the performance that has the bleakest, blackest, darkest, hopeless Adagio 1st movement?  :D

Petrenko on Naxos takes what sounds at first like an impossibly slow tempo, but it works - for me, at least.  Consequently, pretty bleak, black, dark and hopeless.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2021, 11:05:27 AM
I enjoyed the documentary, but some of the details could've been left out. I think any one with a knowledge of history can read about how horrible the whole Siege of Leningrad was, but the musical aspect of the film was the most enjoyable.

As one who has lived in the city, and to whom some percentage of the information was not news, I found the whole thing well paced and compelling. The accumulated weight of the facts is itself part of the message.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2021, 11:20:23 AM
As one who has lived in the city, and to whom some percentage of the information was not news, I found the whole thing well paced and compelling. The accumulated weight of the facts is itself part of the message.

For you, perhaps this is the case, but I still look at this symphony and every piece of music as an abstract experience. I'm beginning to feel that too much is made of the political environment of Shostakovich's music and not enough of the actual music itself. For me, the music tells me everything I need to know.

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 07, 2021, 08:27:32 AM
It is such a great series Karl.  Although I haven't seen all episodes.  I wish MTT would reboot the series with some new episodes.

I want to watch more of them right away, Ray, only I've got "my" concert in Lowell tonight  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2021, 12:05:30 PM
I want to watch more of them right away, Ray, only I've got "my" concert in Lowell tonight  ;)

Good luck at the concert, Karl. 8)

bhodges

From last night at Carnegie Hall, the Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2 with Yuja Wang, the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Yannick Nézet-Séguin. As gala concerts go (often a mixed bag), this one was better than many, and judging from comments today, this performance was one of the evening's high points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0A_rCAtIeM&t=2s

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 07, 2021, 08:27:32 AM
It is such a great series Karl.  Although I haven't seen all episodes.  I wish MTT would reboot the series with some new episodes.
I quite enjoyed one that he did on Mahler.  I stumbled across it by accident one night in the wee hours of the morning/night...was hoping that they would rebroadcast it in nicer hours as I was rather sleepy at the time.

How many did he do on Shostakovich?  Or was he doing one each on various composers?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 08, 2021, 03:43:20 AM
I quite enjoyed one that he did on Mahler.  I stumbled across it by accident one night in the wee hours of the morning/night...was hoping that they would rebroadcast it in nicer hours as I was rather sleepy at the time.

How many did he do on Shostakovich?  Or was he doing one each on various composers?

PD

I think he did about six in total, but only one for any composer.

I have seen the Berlioz (Symphony Fantastique) and Beethoven (Eroica) and Stravinsky (The Rite of Spring)

Am aware of the Shostakovich and Mahler, but can't remember the others.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 08, 2021, 03:57:23 AM

I have seen the Berlioz (Symphony Fantastique) and Beethoven (Eroica) and Stravinsky (The Rite of Spring)

Thanks!  I'll post a link to the Mahler one over in the Mahler thread (I found it on youtube. The San Francisco Symphony uploaded it.).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Ives Holidays Symphony, for one, at any rate.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 08, 2021, 06:27:57 AM
Ives Holidays Symphony, for one, at any rate.

Ah, yes. That is indeed another one.

Mirror Image

He also did one on Copland that was quite good and, as Karl pointed, Ives as well.

relm1

I really love Okko Kamu's conducting of Shostakovich.  This link references a recording of Kamu's No. 7 where you can hear the entire work but the link doesn't work for me.  Does anyone else have the link to the full concert please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyFvOmSSBE

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on October 18, 2021, 05:15:19 PM
I really love Okko Kamu's conducting of Shostakovich.  This link references a recording of Kamu's No. 7 where you can hear the entire work but the link doesn't work for me.  Does anyone else have the link to the full concert please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyFvOmSSBE

Fine conductor full stop!

MusicTurner

'The Fall of Berlin' etc., film music. /Adriano /marco polo

Got this in a cheap pile. Only for die-hard completists, mostly lots of empty-gestures, another-day-at-the-office music, IMHO, I doubt I'll listen to it again.

Brahmsian

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 20, 2021, 06:46:19 AM

Got this in a cheap pile. Only for die-hard completists, mostly lots of empty-gestures, another-day-at-the-office music, IMHO, I doubt I'll listen to it again.

I do have a fair amount of Shostakovich's film music and quite enjoy it, including this one.

Do I listen to it as often as his symphonies, concerti and chamber music? No I don't. But I wouldn't want to be without it.

bhodges

One of my favorite works by Shostakovich is his youthful Octet for Strings, Op. 11, which I first encountered in high school. There are many excellent live recordings on YouTube, but today I found this one, from about a month ago, with students from the Moscow State Conservatory.

The octet has been given the full-blown string orchestra treatment, with an ensemble of roughly two dozen players. While I think the version for eight musicians has more clarity, there is something appealing about this full-blast, larger take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Jo4XyEM0M

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 20, 2021, 06:46:19 AM

Too critical!  ;D

This work meant lots of fun to me. In fact, most of his film music I've heard has been delightful.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 20, 2021, 07:09:05 AM
I do have a fair amount of Shostakovich's film music and quite enjoy it, including this one.

Do I listen to it as often as his symphonies, concerti and chamber music? No I don't. But I wouldn't want to be without it.

+1
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 05, 2021, 05:46:42 PM
Too critical!  ;D

This work meant lots of fun to me. In fact, most of his film music I've heard has been delightful.

I need to revisit The Fall of Berlin. I certainly think that the scores for New Babylon and Alone are very fine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA