Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

I've finally picked up a set of the string quartets (Brodsky) and having heard 7 of them so far, they are incredibly fascinating works. I didn't realize that the eight quartets from 8-15 are arranged in pairs of relative keys.

BasilValentine

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 20, 2021, 04:56:16 AM
I've finally picked up a set of the string quartets (Brodsky) and having heard 7 of them so far, they are incredibly fascinating works. I didn't realize that the eight quartets from 8-15 are arranged in pairs of relative keys.

I hadn't noticed that but I guess it's not surprising since he apparently entertained the idea of composing one in each key.

Jo498

I wonder when he got the idea, probably not already within the first handful of quartets that are spaced out quite a bit

1 1938
(he wrote the piano quintet and trio between the first two string quartets)
2 1944
3 1946
4 1949
5 1952

It's also interesting that most of the quartets are rather late pieces. The first disc I bought was with 6,10,14 (Brodsky, when they were still separate discs) and I was quite surprised that even #6 was a lateish piece (compare with Beethoven where 6,10,14 would have given you one early, one middle, one late).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

BasilValentine

Quote from: Jo498 on November 20, 2021, 07:51:26 AM
I wonder when he got the idea, probably not already within the first handful of quartets that are spaced out quite a bit

1 1938
(he wrote the piano quintet and trio between the first two string quartets)
2 1944
3 1946
4 1949
5 1952

It's also interesting that most of the quartets are rather late pieces. The first disc I bought was with 6,10,14 (Brodsky, when they were still separate discs) and I was quite surprised that even #6 was a lateish piece (compare with Beethoven where 6,10,14 would have given you one early, one middle, one late).

This was sort of inevitable given that he came to the genre late — the first quartet composed at age 32, whereas the first symphony at 19.

aukhawk

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 20, 2021, 04:56:16 AM

Worth a read ...

http://www.quartets.de/articles/structure.html

Maestro267

Thanks. I have visited that website often during my initial listens to these quartets, which continues with No. 11 as I write.

vandermolen

I enjoyed this informative and entertaining review of recordings of the 4th Symphony:
https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/a-survey-of-recordings-of-shostakovich-symphony-no-4/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 12:13:59 PM
I enjoyed this informative and entertaining review of recordings of the 4th Symphony:
https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/a-survey-of-recordings-of-shostakovich-symphony-no-4/

I'm torn between thinking he was harsh on Nelsons, and the fact that I think that yet another Shostakovich cycle was unimaginative on the part of the BSO. Oh, but at the end he give Nelsons an hon. mention.

Agree with him that the Järvi Fourth is meh, but the sound file is something entirely different ....

Most interesting, thanks, Jeffrey. Wonder what went funny with the sound clips ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

I just wanted to stop by and tell everyone how thrilling the Muti/CSO performance is of the Babi Yar:

For those that haven't heard it, you definitely need this recording in your collection.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 12:13:59 PM

Thanks for the link, interesting article. But is anyone else getting some groovy-blues music in the sample tracks?  ;D

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 28, 2021, 05:31:01 AM
I just wanted to stop by and tell everyone how thrilling the Muti/CSO performance is of the Babi Yar:

For those that haven't heard it, you definitely need this recording in your collection.

I agree, John. Truly mesmerizing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 28, 2021, 06:47:09 AM
Thanks for the link, interesting article. But is anyone else getting some groovy-blues music in the sample tracks?  ;D

Sure ain't Shostakovich!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Roasted Swan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2021, 03:57:45 PM
I'm torn between thinking he was harsh on Nelsons, and the fact that I think that yet another Shostakovich cycle was unimaginative on the part of the BSO. Oh, but at the end he give Nelsons an hon. mention.

Agree with him that the Järvi Fourth is meh, but the sound file is something entirely different ....

Most interesting, thanks, Jeffrey. Wonder what went funny with the sound clips ....

No mention of a real sleeper -

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 28, 2021, 11:58:30 PM

It's a fabulous recording - one of the best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 28, 2021, 05:31:01 AM

On my wish list  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2021, 04:14:43 AM
It's a fabulous recording - one of the best.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 28, 2021, 11:58:30 PM

Yes, I really love this recording. I am admittedly biased because Daniel Raiskin is our Music Director and conductor for my Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.  :D

Brahmsian

To spur on Karl:)

Of course, this music in the four ballet suites is bits and pieces from his other theater works (The Limpid Stream mainly, along with The Bolt, Suite for Jazz Orchestra No. 1, The Tale of a Priest and His Servant Balda, Michurin, The Human Comedy and The Song of the Great Rivers).

Listening to this right now, and it is hitting the spot this morning.  Haven't listened to in for awhile, but I listen to it quite frequently in the past!

Symphonic Addict

The other day I was enjoying his 10th SQ in A flat major as played by the Pacifica Quartet. This thing about keys intrigues me importantly. I have a special fixation with this concept and how it is applied in music, in musical notes, chords, rhythm, harmony, etc. This quartet give me huge pleasure. Its construction, its musical architecture, melodical and harmonical, mostly, is nothing but astonishing.

Shostakovich was a fascinating genius. My soul resonates with his style quite a lot.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 08:30:00 PM
The other day I was enjoying his 10th SQ in A flat major as played by the Pacifica Quartet. This thing about keys intrigues me importantly. I have a special fixation with this concept and how it is applied in music, in musical notes, chords, rhythm, harmony, etc. This quartet give me huge pleasure. Its construction, its musical architecture, melodical and harmonical, mostly, is nothing but astonishing.

Shostakovich was a fascinating genius. My soul resonates with his style quite a lot.

That he was, Cesar. Your talk about The Bells being your favorite choral symphony made me realize that my own would be Shostakovich's Babi Yar.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 03, 2021, 08:34:57 PM
That he was, Cesar. Your talk about The Bells being your favorite choral symphony made me realize that my own would be Shostakovich's Babi Yar.

Of course, silly me! Ok, now I have another tie. I can't live without any of them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky