Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2021, 08:28:41 AM
I have those three plus Fitzwilliam, Rubio, Sorrel, Borodin I and Borodin II. I too love 'em all. Usually the one I'm currently listening to is my favorite. But if I had to choose, it would be Mandelring.

Sarge

Thou wast ever a kindred soul.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Just the fact that Karl and Sarge, between them, mentioned eight complete sets of these quartets -- right off the bat -- makes me shake my head in astonishment. Says a lot about the quartets themselves -- not to mention the age we live in, which is awash in great music.

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 17, 2021, 07:48:51 AM
No venue, PD. I notice most if not all are recorded by Yuri Kokzhayan, who?! I hear you ask.  ???

I have banged on about this before. The original Borodin, along with Dubinsky, also recorded the 8th SQ in Poland on the Muza Polskie Nagrania label, coupled with the Szymanowski 2nd. IMO this performance is superior to both the Melodiya and Decca 8th's.
Oh, neat!  I didn't know about that recording Irons.  Nice to know, thank you!  :)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2021, 08:28:41 AM
I have those three plus Fitzwilliam, Rubio, Sorrel, Borodin I and Borodin II. I too love 'em all. Usually the one I'm currently listening to is my favorite. But if I had to choose, it would be Mandelring.

Sarge
Ah, I just found your other comments here!  I had asked about how you liked the Sorrel Quartet's recordings, but then later noticed that you had been listening to a bunch of other recordings of the quartets.  ;D

Quote from: Brewski on December 17, 2021, 10:50:40 AM
Just the fact that Karl and Sarge, between them, mentioned eight complete sets of these quartets -- right off the bat -- makes me shake my head in astonishment. Says a lot about the quartets themselves -- not to mention the age we live in, which is awash in great music.

--Bruce

I know!  8)  Cool!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

staxomega

--Bruce

Agreed, and hopefully we get many more complete cycles. Bartok, Haydn, Beethoven, Shostakovich and Schoenberg there is always at least one complete cycle of these on my phone, for Shostakovich right now that is Pacifica.

JBS

--Bruce

Also the Brodsky Quartet, Danel Quartet, and Shostakovich Quartet.

Of the cycles mentioned, including the above three, I have all but the Sorrel and Borodin I. My two favorites are Borodin II and Emerson, but they're all worth hearing.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aukhawk

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 17, 2021, 01:24:54 PM
Ah, I just found your other comments here!  I had asked about how you liked the Sorrel Quartet's recordings, but then later noticed that you had been listening to a bunch of other recordings of the quartets.  ;D
PD

On the Sorrels - I don't usually 'do' cycles (I like to kid myself my listening is more selective) but I did break my rule for the Sorrels set, available at the time at a price I couldn't resist.  I really like them, they have a wonderful hushed intensity when called for, and big dynamics at other times.  I consider their 8th to be the best quartet recording (any music) in my collection.
However - and its a big but - the huge, sumptuous Chandos sound will not be to everybody's liking in this music.  If you expect and want the sort of raw-edged Shostakovich that you get with the Borodins, Beethoven, Pacifica and Yggdrasil Quartets among others - part of that is the edgy soundscape they bring, and these recordings by the Sorrels are probably not going to work in that way.
Like Sarge I think another very strong candidate is the Mandelring Quartet.  Even though I have to admit part of the pull here is the lovely cover art - not terribly appropriate but very pretty  ;)

Mirror Image

My first choice in SQ cycles will always be the Borodins on Melodiya. My second pick would be the Borodins on Chandos. ;) But then probably the Pacifica Quartet on Cedille.

Herman

I have the early Borodin (1 - 13) and the ca 1980 Borodin recording. Additionally I have the Emerson Box and the Pacifica and some singles by other quartets.

Just like Sarge said (did he?) usually the one I listen to I like best. I'm mostly into the double digit quartets, the ones he dedicated to the quartet members he worked with, and, lastly, one for himself.

Couple years ago I figured whom I liked best in which quartet, but these preferences do shift over time. If someone put a gun to my head I'd say A "not again, please" and B I guess I prefer the 1980 Borodin of the early set.

I have seen the Brodsky live in the entire cycle and I did not come away from that with the idea they'd changed my life, so to speak, the way a concert by the Borodin around 1985 did, where they played LvB 132 and DSCH 15.

Herman

Quote from: ultralinear on December 18, 2021, 09:16:36 AM
It must have been around that time that I saw them play the same programme in London, which for me also was a life-changing moment.

Did they light the large candelabra on stage?

Roasted Swan

I know I shouldn't laugh at poor translations into English but this one did make me chuckle.  Regarding the Solti/Decca set of 5 discs of DSCH symphonies this was written;

"In his later years Shorty became actively involved in the performance of Shostakovich's work but this time he compiled the live recorded symphonies album. The overwhelming exquisite performance of the huge organized "Symphony No. 8" is one song that can fans the fans in conjunction with the powerful ensemble of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra."

Did anyone every call Solti "Shorty" to his face and live to tell the tale......?

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 18, 2021, 02:14:18 PM
I know I shouldn't laugh at poor translations into English but this one did make me chuckle.  Regarding the Solti/Decca set of 5 discs of DSCH symphonies this was written;

"In his later years Shorty became actively involved in the performance of Shostakovich's work but this time he compiled the live recorded symphonies album. The overwhelming exquisite performance of the huge organized "Symphony No. 8" is one song that can fans the fans in conjunction with the powerful ensemble of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra."

Did anyone every call Solti "Shorty" to his face and live to tell the tale......?

Of course I googled for Solti's height.  The New York Times says he "was of medium height, trim and bald", but I couldn't find any quantification of his height. 

Herman

Quote from: ultralinear on December 18, 2021, 12:24:51 PM
TBH I don't remember that detail, but quite possibly they did - I do remember the performance taking place in semi-darkness.  I was a long way back in the hall so my view would not have been that great.  Nonetheless it was a very moving and remarkable experience.

Edit: My partner thinks she remembers the musicians walking onstage with instruments in one hand and candelabra in the other.

And they extinguished the candles at the end, dramatically.

It's when I understood DSCH's late chamber music has a serious theatrical component. Consider the start of the viola sonata for instance. That's not just music. It's also gesture.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Herman on December 18, 2021, 11:42:36 AM
Did they light the large candelabra on stage?
Quote from: ultralinear on December 18, 2021, 12:24:51 PM
TBH I don't remember that detail, but quite possibly they did - I do remember the performance taking place in semi-darkness.  I was a long way back in the hall so my view would not have been that great.  Nonetheless it was a very moving and remarkable experience.

Edit: My partner thinks she remembers the musicians walking onstage with instruments in one hand and candelabra in the other.
Love the idea of candelabra on the stage; a bit dangerous however--probably old wooden stage (building?), sheets of music (paper), and fire (flames).   :-\  Very theatrical though!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aukhawk

In the listening thread I mentioned the recording by the Borodins of the 4th and 8th Quartets, recorded in Moscow in 1962 for Mercury:

Quote from: aukhawk on December 17, 2021, 09:34:02 AM
Don't omit to turn the wick up when you get to No.8  ;)
In fact, why not go the whole hog and wallow in this version by the Borodins, recorded in 1962 using the splendid Mercury Living Presence (35mm) technology but in Moscow.  A very special document.

Shostakovich Quartets 4 & 8, Borodin Quartet, Mercury Living Presence 35mm

I wish I hadn't mentioned it!  :o  I had a listen to the 8th yesteday to remind myself - and it's AWFUL  The musicians just sound as though they're sight-reading a run-through.  And even the sound is not very good, by any standards let alone Mercury's very high ones. 
I then played the 8th from the Sorrels, and this is just a searing, white-hot performance.  Especially the 2nd and 4th movements which are played with huge attack and brio.  What a contrast!

Shostakovich Quartets 8, 9 & 13, Sorrel Quartet, Chandos

I suppose the music was still quite new at the time of the Mercury recording - less than 2 years from composition date - could account for the wooden performance by the Borodins on this occasion.

Herman

Quote from: aukhawk on December 19, 2021, 03:24:41 AM

I suppose the music was still quite new at the time of the Mercury recording - less than 2 years from composition date - could account for the wooden performance by the Borodins on this occasion.

Bingo! Many people often assume that the closer a recording is to the source and the premiere, the better it is.
Often this is not the case.

vers la flamme

Dmitri Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No.1 in E-flat major, op.107. Torleif Thedéen, James DePreist, Malmö Symphony Orchestra

First listen. Sounds good. Excellent '90s digital sound (I'm a sucker for the BIS sound). Good playing. Happy to have this recording to complement the Rostropovich/Ormandy that I also have.

foxandpeng

Dmitri Shostakovich
String Quartets 3 and 8
Novus Quartet
SWR

I like this new release, streaming from Spotify, as usual. Recording values are excellent and the performances seem really accomplished. I don't know whether it captures the rawness of emotion present in some of the cycles I have particularly got to know in the last 12 months, but enjoyable nevertheless. Maybe Holocaust Memorial Day leaves me wanting more angst, and less polish.

In any case, I'd like to hear the Novus Qt perform more from the less frequently recorded DSCH SQs. 3 & 8 almost seem too easy.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

calyptorhynchus

I just realised something amusing. I have two go to recordings of the 24 Preludes and Fugues, Scherbakov on Naxos and Tatiana Nikolaeva on Hyperion. I find these two fine except that Nikolaeva takes the first p & f too fast and Scherbakov takes the last p & f too fast!  ;D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Karl Henning

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 10, 2022, 03:18:50 PM
I just realised something amusing. I have two go to recordings of the 24 Preludes and Fugues, Scherbakov on Naxos and Tatiana Nikolaeva on Hyperion. I find these two fine except that Nikolaeva takes the first p & f too fast and Scherbakov takes the last p & f too fast!  ;D

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Scherbakov seems to be one of the pianists who gets tricked by the wrong metronome marking on the first fugue, and follows his eyes instead of his ears, though he's uncomfortable enough about the metronome marking to be a bit faster than those who try to follow the wrong marking religiously.

It's Nikolayeva who is in the right ballpark, though she's a little faster than most other 'right' pianists.

I still have 4 prelude & fugue recordings to test out when I can focus on it. Maybe in the new house...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!