The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Dmitri's Dacha

<< < (572/583) > >>

aukhawk:
In the listening thread I mentioned the recording by the Borodins of the 4th and 8th Quartets, recorded in Moscow in 1962 for Mercury:

--- Quote from: aukhawk on December 17, 2021, 10:34:02 AM ---Don't omit to turn the wick up when you get to No.8  ;)
In fact, why not go the whole hog and wallow in this version by the Borodins, recorded in 1962 using the splendid Mercury Living Presence (35mm) technology but in Moscow.  A very special document.

Shostakovich Quartets 4 & 8, Borodin Quartet, Mercury Living Presence 35mm

--- End quote ---

I wish I hadn't mentioned it!  :o  I had a listen to the 8th yesteday to remind myself - and it's AWFUL  The musicians just sound as though they're sight-reading a run-through.  And even the sound is not very good, by any standards let alone Mercury's very high ones. 
I then played the 8th from the Sorrels, and this is just a searing, white-hot performance.  Especially the 2nd and 4th movements which are played with huge attack and brio.  What a contrast!

Shostakovich Quartets 8, 9 & 13, Sorrel Quartet, Chandos

I suppose the music was still quite new at the time of the Mercury recording - less than 2 years from composition date - could account for the wooden performance by the Borodins on this occasion.

Herman:

--- Quote from: aukhawk on December 19, 2021, 04:24:41 AM ---

I suppose the music was still quite new at the time of the Mercury recording - less than 2 years from composition date - could account for the wooden performance by the Borodins on this occasion.

--- End quote ---

Bingo! Many people often assume that the closer a recording is to the source and the premiere, the better it is.
Often this is not the case.

vers la flamme:

Dmitri Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No.1 in E-flat major, op.107. Torleif Thedéen, James DePreist, Malmö Symphony Orchestra

First listen. Sounds good. Excellent '90s digital sound (I'm a sucker for the BIS sound). Good playing. Happy to have this recording to complement the Rostropovich/Ormandy that I also have.

foxandpeng:
Dmitri Shostakovich
String Quartets 3 and 8
Novus Quartet
SWR

I like this new release, streaming from Spotify, as usual. Recording values are excellent and the performances seem really accomplished. I don't know whether it captures the rawness of emotion present in some of the cycles I have particularly got to know in the last 12 months, but enjoyable nevertheless. Maybe Holocaust Memorial Day leaves me wanting more angst, and less polish.

In any case, I'd like to hear the Novus Qt perform more from the less frequently recorded DSCH SQs. 3 & 8 almost seem too easy.

calyptorhynchus:
I just realised something amusing. I have two go to recordings of the 24 Preludes and Fugues, Scherbakov on Naxos and Tatiana Nikolaeva on Hyperion. I find these two fine except that Nikolaeva takes the first p & f too fast and Scherbakov takes the last p & f too fast!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version