Author Topic: Dmitri's Dacha  (Read 576193 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Dmitri's Dacha
« Reply #2920 on: June 23, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »
Kondrashin and Haitink. I recently bought Kitajenko. Also, I rather like the Maxim Shostakovich set on Supraphon, Jansons on EMI and Rostropovich.

I'm another fan of Shostakovich fils, Jansons and Kitajenko, possibly in that order.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #2921 on: June 23, 2022, 01:03:03 PM »
I chose Petrenko when selecting my own (only) set. Janssons was the runner-up in that process.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933 - 2020)
    An assortment of composers from the 19th, 20th and 21st Centuries
« Reply #2922 on: June 23, 2022, 06:47:44 PM »
Kondrashin and Haitink. I recently bought Kitajenko. Also, I rather like the Maxim Shostakovich set on Supraphon, Jansons on EMI and Rostropovich.

Yes to all of these picks! I also like Barshai and Rozhdestvensky (despite the less than stellar audio quality of his cycle).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:21:55 PM by Mirror Image »
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2923 on: June 23, 2022, 09:55:50 PM »
I don't disagree with any of the mentioned preferences for complete cycles - only Petrenko leaves me oddly unmoved most of the time for reasons I really cannot explain.  My surprise is how rarely Caetani's cycle ever gets any kind of mention.  Distinctly individual and powerful interpretations I think, played remarkably well by his Italian orchestra - the SACD sound is pretty up front and exciting too.  Not the most polished by any means but a valid take on the whole set.....

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2924 on: June 24, 2022, 12:36:10 AM »
I don't disagree with any of the mentioned preferences for complete cycles - only Petrenko leaves me oddly unmoved most of the time for reasons I really cannot explain.  My surprise is how rarely Caetani's cycle ever gets any kind of mention.  Distinctly individual and powerful interpretations I think, played remarkably well by his Italian orchestra - the SACD sound is pretty up front and exciting too.  Not the most polished by any means but a valid take on the whole set.....

I have one or two of those recordings and find them excellent.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933 - 2020)
    An assortment of composers from the 19th, 20th and 21st Centuries
« Reply #2925 on: June 24, 2022, 05:27:16 AM »

Yes, I agree. The Caetani is a fine cycle. I think I seem to recall where he was let go from a position because he was programming too much Shostakovich. :)
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2926 on: June 24, 2022, 05:34:05 AM »

I've not heard the entire cycle, but the ones I've heard, I like very much!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline DavidW

« Reply #2927 on: June 24, 2022, 06:45:12 AM »

I agree that Kondrashin and Haitink are the missing great ones in Dave's collection.  I also like those sets that you mentioned but I don't think that they are up there with Kondrashin and Haitink.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #2928 on: June 24, 2022, 06:49:38 AM »
Also not to be missed are the individual recordings Mravinsky made including one of my favorite 8ths!

And of course Ormandy's 4th is stunning and was my introduction to that symphony.

Finally Bernstein's 7th wow! desert island material

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2929 on: June 24, 2022, 08:31:31 AM »
Also not to be missed are the individual recordings Mravinsky made including one of my favorite 8ths!

And of course Ormandy's 4th is stunning and was my introduction to that symphony.

Finally Bernstein's 7th wow! desert island material

+1, +1, +1 !! (so many great recordings!!)