Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Have just heard Mravinsky's 1938 premiere recording of Symphony 5 which is absolutely marvellous, very slow and linking the work much closer to the sound world of Symphony 4 (which I had always thought a far superior work). I strongly recommend this recording if you can find it although, of course, you have to make allowances for the sound quality.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 22, 2007, 08:46:16 PM
Thanks Guys for your confirmation, the set duly snapped up for £13 delivered.

Happy to see the UK supplier still had 5 copies left.

ukdirectoffers part of UK Amazon  ;D

Cheers

Excellent, Tony! Good on you, mate!

Drasko

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 22, 2007, 08:46:16 PM
Thanks Guys for your confirmation, the set duly snapped up for £13 delivered.

Happy to see the UK supplier still had 5 copies left.

ukdirectoffers part of UK Amazon  ;D

Cheers

Can you post a link to that. Only found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich-Complete-Quartets-Borodin-Qt/dp/B000HXE5BK

so either there is a multiple listing or you bought all six copies  :o

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Drasko on May 23, 2007, 05:38:15 AM
Can you post a link to that. Only found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich-Complete-Quartets-Borodin-Qt/dp/B000HXE5BK

so either there is a multiple listing or you bought all six copies  :o

All snapped up by the looks of it, there were 5 copies complete left when I placed my order (which will be with me tomorrow).  Maybe some members of the Forum jumped in on the action.   ;)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

karlhenning

When Tony speaks, the markets move!  :D

Drasko

Ha, the offer is back (they probably just temporarily withdrew it for some reason yesterday).

And I could venture a guess that it is now down to four copies  ;)

Tony, thanks for the heads up.

Maciek

I don't see it (anymore?) but for what it's worth the set costs 720 rubles on the Melodya site and according to Google:
Quote from: Google720 Russian rubles = 14.0572641 British pounds

Maciek

uffeviking

I saw this at amazon, but never heard of the conductor Bobritskaia. It sells at $120.00 new and for $36.00 used. No information on the orchestra! It's on the Russian Label.The list of works on this disc is impressive, but before I spend 36 bucks I would like to know more about it. I have the Chailly recording of Jazz Suite No. 1.

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Suite-Jazz-Orchestra-No/dp/B00000JQGL/ref=sr_1_7/102-2657591-8498530?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180110827&sr=1-7

Steve

Quote from: uffeviking on May 25, 2007, 08:50:51 AM
I saw this at amazon, but never heard of the conductor Bobritskaia. It sells at $120.00 new and for $36.00 used. No information on the orchestra! It's on the Russian Label.The list of works on this disc is impressive, but before I spend 36 bucks I would like to know more about it. I have the Chailly recording of Jazz Suite No. 1.

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Suite-Jazz-Orchestra-No/dp/B00000JQGL/ref=sr_1_7/102-2657591-8498530?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180110827&sr=1-7

I remember coming across this some time ago, and generally found it agreeable. At 36 dollars, you certainly won't be dissapointed.

uffeviking

Intensive research showed me that Bobritskaia is a pianist! No conductor is every mentioned. Could this mean he plays the entire selection on the piano, a piano version of each piece? Very puzzling indeed, but thanks for your input!

Drasko

Quote from: uffeviking on May 29, 2007, 07:59:58 PM
Intensive research showed me that Bobritskaia is a pianist! No conductor is every mentioned. Could this mean he plays the entire selection on the piano, a piano version of each piece? Very puzzling indeed, but thanks for your input!

It looks exactly the same as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004YU97

and here is the review:

http://www.dschjournal.com/reviews/rvs12op69.htm

uffeviking

Thanks so much, Drasko! You cleared up the confusion because I thought those are two different editions, one with the tennis player the other with the piglets! The one with the pigs I found listed for the 120 bucks new and 36 for used. $9.28 certainly is more affordable! I lost the site where they make Bobritskai a pianist!

And all this confusion and search and effort by you, about music shunned by some as irrelevant but I see as an important aide to understanding Shostakovich.

Sincerely!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: uffeviking on May 29, 2007, 08:52:45 PM
And all this confusion and search and effort by you, about music shunned by some as irrelevant but I see as an important aide to understanding Shostakovich.

You won't catch me slighting this music, Lis! Even though I haven't heard any of it.

I'll be all ears when and if you comment on this disc!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

Now I'm worried.

The Twelfth Symphony is starting to sound good.

I blame Maksim Dmitriyevich and the Prague Symphony.

DetUudslukkelige

For some reason, since I started collecting classical music, I have avoided Shostakovich as if he were the devil himself. For some reason, I just expected his music to be crap. I really don't know why, but I did. I think it may be because all the praise he received seemed to be celebrating things that I didn't particularly care about, and any criticism seemed to be about things that were truly important to me musically...

..Well, earlier today, I was on YouTube, and the thought struck me out of nowhere "Hey, maybe I should find a video of that Shostakovich guy everyone seems to like, see what all the fuss is about". So I did a search and clicked on Mravinsky conducting the finale of his fifth symphony. Well, if you didn't see where this story was going already, I've listened to just about every Shostakovich piece that has been posted on YouTube, and it still isn't enough. I'm already hooked, and I don't even own a single CD. Since I have no money to spend on music at present, and when I do I'll probably not be able to swing more than about sixty dollars, I think my next purchase may be the Jansons set of Shostakovich symphonies, since that's just in my price range, and I've heard good things about it around here.

There's certainly enough advice for a new Shostakovich fan around this forum, but if anyone wants to recommend a better way to spend that amount of money, don't hesitate to say so.
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DetUudslukkelige on June 25, 2007, 05:40:40 PM
There's certainly enough advice for a new Shostakovich fan around this forum, but if anyone wants to recommend a better way to spend that amount of money, don't hesitate to say so.

The symphonies are a great place to start, make no mistake. And Jansons is a top-notch Shostakovich interpreter. Should make a perfect Shostakovich 'starter kit'.

Later, as your money situation improves, you might look into some of the fabulous individual symphony recordings out there. But for now, no doubt, a single box is the most cost-effective way to go.

Further down the road you might look into investing in a cost-effective box set of the complete string quartets. For about the same $60.00 you can have all the quartets from groups like the Borodin SQ or the Danel SQ (my personal fave).

So, good luck!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

D Minor! How goes the Quest?

PaulR

has anyone heard of the piece Cherry Town?  I saw a DVD of it at a local store, and I never heard of it before, has anyone seen the DVD, or hear the piece? 
http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Town-Region-Shostakovich-Cheryomushki/dp/B000OQF37K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-1497723-4691234?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184368277&sr=1-2

George

Quote from: DetUudslukkelige on June 25, 2007, 05:40:40 PM
For some reason, since I started collecting classical music, I have avoided Shostakovich as if he were the devil himself. For some reason, I just expected his music to be crap. I really don't know why, but I did. I think it may be because all the praise he received seemed to be celebrating things that I didn't particularly care about, and any criticism seemed to be about things that were truly important to me musically...

..Well, earlier today, I was on YouTube, and the thought struck me out of nowhere "Hey, maybe I should find a video of that Shostakovich guy everyone seems to like, see what all the fuss is about". So I did a search and clicked on Mravinsky conducting the finale of his fifth symphony. Well, if you didn't see where this story was going already, I've listened to just about every Shostakovich piece that has been posted on YouTube, and it still isn't enough. I'm already hooked, and I don't even own a single CD. Since I have no money to spend on music at present, and when I do I'll probably not be able to swing more than about sixty dollars, I think my next purchase may be the Jansons set of Shostakovich symphonies, since that's just in my price range, and I've heard good things about it around here.

You could spend much less on the Virgin budget two-fer of the Borodin playing a number of the quartets. I think the quartets is a great place to start for this composer.  :)