The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Dmitri's Dacha

<< < (2/583) > >>

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: edward on April 11, 2007, 09:05:41 AM ---I know this must come as a terrible shock to a lot of people (cough), but I really like the light touch of Ancerl in this symphony. Plus it comes with an unconventional--but IMO very effective--interpretation of the 5th symphony.

--- End quote ---

How unconventional, Edward?

not edward:

--- Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2007, 09:18:24 AM ---How unconventional, Edward?

--- End quote ---
Well, I find that Ancerl's reading makes no attempt to foreground the drama in the work. (Very different from, say, a Kondrashin or Mravinsky.)

To me it works extremely well throughout...just letting the music speak for itself, but I've spoken to and read quite a few people who absolutely hated the recording for the selfsame reason that I like it so much.

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: edward on April 11, 2007, 09:40:33 AM ---Well, I find that Ancerl's reading makes no attempt to foreground the drama in the work. (Very different from, say, a Kondrashin or Mravinsky.)

To me it works extremely well throughout...just letting the music speak for itself, but I've spoken to and read quite a few people who absolutely hated the recording for the selfsame reason that I like it so much.

--- End quote ---

Very interesting, thanks.

In a similar vein, I have really enjoyed the Sergey Khachatryan recording of the Violin Concertos.

PaulR:
Listening to the 10th, 5th, and 8th today,  (With the 10th's Moderato beginning), Shostakovich wrote brilliant slow movements, such as the largo in the 5th, and 8th, the 2 adagios in the 13th, and the adagio in the 11th and 7th.  his quicker movements are great to, but the slower one's are especially beautiful

Don Giovanni:
I love Shotakovich's String Quartets. My favourites are: 8, 10, 14, 15. The 15th is unbearably yet hauntingly beautiful - I love it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version