Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 26, 2018, 06:41:11 PM
Shocked that this thread skipped over Dmitri's birthday. Shocked I tell you!

Yet remembered the day of his death. I guess they thought his death was more important than his birth. j/k
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

We are in in disgrace.

This never happens in the Langgaard or Havergal Brian threads!  0:)    ;D    8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Blame the Russian calendar change in 1918. It confused everybody.

Edit: Seriously, I've no idea what people typically did with their birthdays when the calendar shifted from Julian to Gregorian.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

relm1

Shame on all of you.  I celebrated his birthday by listening to several of his symphonies and an interesting version of Symphony No. 11 for two pianos, but to the rest in this thread, shame.

SurprisedByBeauty

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 05, 2018, 01:18:06 PM
Just finished one of my labor-of-love discographies:

A Survey of Shostakovich String Quartet Cycles

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-survey-of-shostakovich-string-quartet.html

Nice reading! One small error I noticed is in your write-up at the bottom for the new Borodin/Decca set: in the second sentence, you note that the set includes the "piano quartet". But should be piano quintet. Just trying to be neighborly. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 05, 2018, 07:57:16 PM
Nice reading! One small error I noticed is in your write-up at the bottom for the new Borodin/Decca set: in the second sentence, you note that the set includes the "piano quartet". But should be piano quintet. Just trying to be neighborly. :)

That's exactly the eagle-eyed reading and mistake-finding that I appreciate! Thanks. Fixed.

vandermolen

Following some discussion on the forum I found a cheap second-hand copy of this. I find it excellent and as deeply moving (especially the Largo) as any other performance I know. Brilliant recording as well. I'd rate this with the recordings by Previn (EMI version), Haitink, and Slatkin as a top version:
[asin]B00U6DW8T2[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2018, 03:08:49 AM
Following some discussion on the forum I found a cheap second-hand copy of this. I find it excellent and as deeply moving (especially the Largo) as any other performance I know. Brilliant recording as well. I'd rate this with the recordings by Previn (EMI version), Haitink, and Slatkin as a top version:
[asin]B00U6DW8T2[/asin]

Excellent.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 19, 2018, 03:48:50 AM
Excellent.
I didn't realise that after the symphony there is an extended rehearsal sequence which is interesting as Mariss Jansons expresses, to the orchestra, his thoughts on Shostakovich's 8th Symphony. He seems to have a nice relationship with the Pittsburgh SO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This set contains one of the greatest performances I have heard of Shostakovich's Symphony 4. Worth having the set (which was very well reviewed in Gramophone a couple of months ago), for that alone. I managed to get an inexpensive second-hand copy of the box:
[asin]B07C5H8DPN[/asin]

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on October 24, 2018, 10:59:41 AM
This set contains one of the greatest performances I have heard of Shostakovich's Symphony 4. Worth having the set (which was very well reviewed in Gramophone a couple of months ago), for that alone. I managed to get an inexpensive second-hand copy of the box:
[asin]B07C5H8DPN[/asin]

Thank you for the tip. I just ordered it off Amazon MP.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on October 24, 2018, 05:53:12 PM

Let us know what you think. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: vandermolen on October 24, 2018, 10:59:41 AM

Never released individually, I take it?  >:(

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on October 24, 2018, 05:53:12 PM

I keep telling myself I do not need another recording of the mighty Op. 43.

So I may hold off until the spring . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2018, 01:06:48 AM
I keep telling myself I do not need another recording of the mighty Op. 43.

So I may hold off until the spring . . . .

It was not just for the DSCH

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on October 25, 2018, 09:59:10 AM

Thanks! (I think . . .)

0:)  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2018, 10:42:06 AM
Thanks! (I think . . .)

0:)  8)

Save your money...for now!  I didn't like it but might be thinking of a different recording! 

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on October 25, 2018, 09:59:10 AM

The whole set does look enticing.

Quote from: relm1 on October 25, 2018, 04:22:25 PM
[...] I didn't like it but might be thinking of a different recording! 

Well, you are going to have to follow up, you know  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

I enjoyed the Mahler 10 from the set today although, unlike the Shostakovich, not a work I know well. I even listened to Beethoven's Symphony 8  :o

Which I enjoyed.

8)