Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2018, 06:34:52 AM
I enjoyed the Mahler 10 from the set today although, unlike the Shostakovich, not a work I know well. I even listened to Beethoven's Symphony 8  :o

Which I enjoyed.

8)

My expectation is, that it will prove worthwhile (though I still have to delay the expense).

Parenthetically, I have yet to listen to the entirety of the Mahler Tenth . . . I just find the first movement so exquisitely perfect.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 26, 2018, 06:39:17 AM
My expectation is, that it will prove worthwhile (though I still have to delay the expense).

Parenthetically, I have yet to listen to the entirety of the Mahler Tenth . . . I just find the first movement so exquisitely perfect.

I very much agree about Mahler's 10th.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

A new recording of Symphony 8 (LSO Live, Noseda) is 'Album of the Week' in the Sunday Times:

'A graphic, questioning, ultimately despairing performance.'

Sounds just my cup of tea!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SurprisedByBeauty

The #Shostakovich String Quartet Cycle #Discography has been updated as I have been made aware of - and found - the @QuatuorDebussy's 1998-2004 cycle on Arion:

A Survey of Shostakovich String Quartet Cycles

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-survey-of-shostakovich-string-quartet.html

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on November 20, 2018, 01:24:23 AM
A new recording of Symphony 8 (LSO Live, Noseda) is 'Album of the Week' in the Sunday Times:

'A graphic, questioning, ultimately despairing performance.'

Sounds just my cup of tea!

I just listened to this recording and don't find it as intense as Haitink's/RCO magnificent Decca recording. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on January 11, 2019, 04:03:34 PM
I just listened to this recording and don't find it as intense as Haitink's/RCO magnificent Decca recording.

Difficult to beat Haitink in this symphony, IMHO.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 04:11:49 PM

+1, it's the most visceral and shattering one I know.

JBS

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 11, 2019, 05:34:59 PM

Did you ever hear Rostropovich's 8th on LSOLive?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 11, 2019, 05:34:59 PM

Indeed. Also, as Jeffrey pointed out, the Rostropovich/LSO Live is very much worth a listen, too.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 04:11:49 PM
+1 and I was lucky enough to hear Haitink conduct it live in London. I haven't heard the new recording yet.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: JBS on January 11, 2019, 05:43:05 PM

I'm not that keen on that recording; never have been... and think that the Noseda is actually a nice improvement over it. For one, the extreme dynamics of that 8th mean that you can't properly listen to it at home without having to adjust the volume in between. The first movement's levels are absurdly low.

Then again, I'm still not convinced that on my copy, first batch, there was a technical glitch... because it is so pronounced.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2019, 11:19:03 PM
+1 and I was lucky enough to hear Haitink conduct it live in London. I haven't heard the new recording yet.

Nice!  8)

TheGSMoeller

And now for something completely different...

Caetani's cycle has been an interesting one to explore, some duds, some winners. His broad take on the 10th has become a constant on my player. And his 8th is an interesting one, which I'm becoming more and more pleased with. It's a speed demon though, Caetani's opening movement is at around 20 minutes compared to Rostropovich/LSO's over 26 minute take. Again, compare the final movement with Caetani at 13:20, and Rost at 16:14. Overall Caetani is 15 minutes faster, and that's a huge difference! The quickness here definitely offers a different sense of intensity, but they hit all the right notes, the climaxes are devastating and it carries an emotional impact that I believe makes it a true competitor in a busy market. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 12, 2019, 07:36:18 AM

Caetani's cycle has been an interesting one to explore, some duds, some winners. His broad take on the 10th has become a constant on my player. And his 8th is an interesting one, which I'm becoming more and more pleased with. It's a speed demon though, Caetani's opening movement is at around 20 minutes compared to Rostropovich/LSO's over 26 minute take. Again, compare the final movement with Caetani at 13:20, and Rost at 16:14. Overall Caetani is 15 minutes faster, and that's a huge difference! The quickness here definitely offers a different sense of intensity, but they hit all the right notes, the climaxes are devastating and it carries an emotional impact that I believe makes it a true competitor in a busy market. 

That's a pretty good set overall, but my reference cycles are still Rozhdestvensky and Haitink. Caetani does get some interesting results. I recall enjoying his performance of the 11th.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2019, 06:35:37 AM
Nice!  8)
It was indeed. I also saw Ashkenazy conduct it in Liverpool when I was a student in Lancaster in the both of England not too far away. It was a fine performance made even more memorable by a cat miaowing throughout the concert and the leader of the orchestra shredding his bow (it seemed to turn into cotton wool) during a crucial solo passage just before the end. He held the bow up to wild applause at the end of the performance.

relm1

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 12, 2019, 07:36:18 AM

I get what you are saying but to me, part of the gem of Shostakovich is how be balances the intensity with the sarcasm and profound.  Too much intensity lacks gravitas and too much profound lacks intensity.  That is why you need someone in the middle like Haitink who is both searing, profound, lyrical, and witty.  It's a very tough balance that few nail better. 

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: JBS on January 11, 2019, 05:43:05 PM

Yes, I did, but I consider the Haitink more impressive, and I think the sonics in that recording give more atmosphere.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2019, 11:37:15 AM
It was indeed. I also saw Ashkenazy conduct it in Liverpool when I was a student in Lancaster in the both of England not too far away. It was a fine performance made even more memorable by a cat miaowing throughout the concert and the leader of the orchestra shredding his bow (it seemed to turn into cotton wool) during a crucial solo passage just before the end. He held the bow up to wild applause at the end of the performance.

8) Quite a memorable concert, indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2019, 07:15:45 PM
8) Quite a memorable concert, indeed.

It was John and I meant 'North' not 'both' of England!  ::)

Mirror Image