Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: Andy D. on July 18, 2019, 06:18:33 PM
Super post! The eighth was my gateway drug, and since I've been thrilled by 10, 11, 13, and 15. Really looking forward to the 12th now.

The 12th is very bombastic (even by Shosti's standards) but also good fun.  I quite love the Haitink/Royal Concertgebouw recording.  It's also very good live.

aukhawk

I'm happy to give the 12th a miss along with the 2nd and 3rd (and, if I'm honest, the 4th and 7th).

However I'll give a shout out for the 1st symphony which I feel is often under-rated in these parts.  I've loved it ever since I first heard it in about 1962 when I was 14yo.  That was the famous recording by Ormandy, coupled with the premiere recording of the 1st Cello Concerto all on one very classy LP. 
Although the 1st sometimes seems a bit uncharacteristic when set beside the later symphonies, for a recording that gives it the maximum of gravitas try Wigglesworth.  For a version that makes it more of a youthful romp, try Caetani.  Ormandy sits nicely in between, and I regularly listen to one or other of those three.

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on July 19, 2019, 06:46:43 AM
I'm happy to give the 12th a miss along with the 2nd and 3rd (and, if I'm honest, the 4th and 7th).

However I'll give a shout out for the 1st symphony which I feel is often under-rated in these parts.  I've loved it ever since I first heard it in about 1962 when I was 14yo.  That was the famous recording by Ormandy, coupled with the premiere recording of the 1st Cello Concerto all on one very classy LP. 
Although the 1st sometimes seems a bit uncharacteristic when set beside the later symphonies, for a recording that gives it the maximum of gravitas try Wigglesworth.  For a version that makes it more of a youthful romp, try Caetani.  Ormandy sits nicely in between, and I regularly listen to one or other of those three.
I rate No.1 highly as well. I love the ending which has me on the edge of my seat. I think that he may have been influenced by his teacher Maximilian Steinberg's Second Symphony in its use of the orchestral piano. No.12 is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I always associate it with clips of Eisenstein's film 'October' although it was not the original score. I've just ordered the Rodzinski version of No.8 which is another favourite. I heard Haitink give a marvellous performance of it at the Proms in my youth as well as Ashkenazy in Liverpool.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Andy D.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2019, 07:19:34 AM
I rate No.1 highly as well. I love the ending which has me on the edge of my seat. I think that he may have been influenced by his teacher Maximilian Steinberg's Second Symphony in its use of the orchestral piano. No.12 is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I always associate it with clips of Eisenstein's film 'October' although it was not the original score. I've just ordered the Rodzinski version of No.8 which is another favourite. I heard Haitink give a marvellous performance of it at the Proms in my youth as well as Ashkenazy in Liverpool.

I've heard some terrific things about Haitink's Shosty.

I've been enjoying the Petrenko lately, especially his 10th and 11th. I discovered the 9th for the first time last night as conducted by him and was completely CHARMED!

vandermolen

Quote from: Andy D. on July 20, 2019, 01:17:01 AM
I've heard some terrific things about Haitink's Shosty.

I've been enjoying the Petrenko lately, especially his 10th and 11th. I discovered the 9th for the first time last night as conducted by him and was completely CHARMED!
My brother's brother in law, who lives in Liverpool, rates the Petrenko set very highly. I'm very happy with the Haitink set. As with his performance of Vaughan Williams's 'A Sea Symphony' his recording of Shostakovich's Symphony 13 'Babi-Yar' was a revelation to me and a most moving experience (especially as I visited the site of Babi Yar in Kyiv a couple of years ago). I much prefer this cover image to the more modernist one of the later reissues:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Andy D.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2019, 01:55:31 AM
My brother's brother in law, who lives in Liverpool, rates the Petrenko set very highly. I'm very happy with the Haitink set. As with his performance of Vaughan Williams's 'A Sea Symphony' his recording of Shostakovich's Symphony 13 'Babi-Yar' was a revelation to me and a most moving experience (especially as I visited the site of Babi Yar in Kyiv a couple of years ago). I much prefer this cover image to the more modernist one of the later reissues:

I love 13!!! Gotsta check out the Haitink.

relm1

My favorite 13 is CBSO/Okko Kamu.  Very strong playing, deep rich bass soloist, great chorus, but very hard to find anywhere....not just online, even in my home, I don't know where the CD is.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 20, 2019, 06:39:18 AM
My favorite 13 is CBSO/Okko Kamu.  Very strong playing, deep rich bass soloist, great chorus, but very hard to find anywhere....not just online, even in my home, I don't know where the CD is.
Interesting. Never heard of that recording. I like Kamu's Sibelius recordings.

vandermolen

Quote from: Andy D. on July 20, 2019, 04:16:19 AM
I love 13!!! Gotsta check out the Haitink.
Definitely Andy! It's very special I think.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2019, 01:29:14 PM
Interesting. Never heard of that recording. I like Kamu's Sibelius recordings.

It's really fantastic.  Don't know why it is so hard to find.  Kamu would have produced a great cycle especially with CBSO.  Oh what might have been.
https://www.discogs.com/Shostakovich-City-Of-Birmingham-Symphony-Orchestra-Okko-Kamu-Symphony-No13-Op113-Babi-Yar/release/11488310

Biffo

Quote from: relm1 on July 20, 2019, 03:52:21 PM
It's really fantastic.  Don't know why it is so hard to find.  Kamu would have produced a great cycle especially with CBSO.  Oh what might have been.
https://www.discogs.com/Shostakovich-City-Of-Birmingham-Symphony-Orchestra-Okko-Kamu-Symphony-No13-Op113-Babi-Yar/release/11488310

I see you are located in California so perhaps it is difficult to find in the USA. In the UK the recording can be obtained as a lossless download from Chandos or, to order, as a CDR. In other words, the CD is no longer available though there is a new one for sale on Amazon UK (and several used copies).

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%208540

Maestro267

I'm genuinely surprised by the outright apathy towards the 12th Symphony.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 21, 2019, 05:48:53 AM

Do you know what "outright apathy" means?  I literally said the 12th "is good fun.  I quite love the Haitink/Royal Concertgebouw recording.  It's also very good live."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 21, 2019, 05:48:53 AM

I remember singing the praise of the old Leipzig Gewandhaus recording on Phillips coupled with an excellent Execution of Stenka Razin..... no apathy here!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 21, 2019, 07:05:55 AM
I remember singing the praise of the old Leipzig Gewandhaus recording on Phillips coupled with an excellent Execution of Stenka Razin..... no apathy here!
+1 my first encounter with the work.

Andy D.

I'm looking forward to the 12th now :)

aukhawk

It's like the 11th with all the good bits taken out.

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 21, 2019, 07:05:55 AM

Is that the one with on LP a cannon on the cover? Cannot recall the conductor who was not typical for a DSCH symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2019, 11:12:04 PM
Is that the one with on LP a cannon on the cover? Cannot recall the conductor who was not typical for a DSCH symphony.
This is the CD version I have Lol. Never had the LP. I wouldn't have associated him (Herbert Kegel) with Britten's War Requiem either but have really enjoyed his recently released performance. I think he conducted the extract from Orff's Carmina Burana used in the film 'Excalibur' (one of my favourite films, especially for Nicol Williamson's extraordinary performance as Merlin), which is probably where I first came across his name:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2019, 11:12:04 PM

Yes indeed I remember the LP (for some reason Universo pops into my mind as the sub-set of Phillips) had a canon on it.  Kegel - as mentioned by Vandermolen does "Stenka Razin" but you are also right in saying the symphony conductor was unusual/otherwise unknown - Ogan Durjan