Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

I've listened to a lot of Shostakovich in the last week or so. I'm currently listening to the 10th Symphony, and when I finish I'll have just No. 7 left to complete the cycle.

I noticed there isn't really a slow movement in No. 10. The first movement probably comes closest in mood but even then it's marked Moderato. There is also the lengthy slow introduction to the finale but that's not a full movement in its own right.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 25, 2021, 06:35:32 PM
Once again the Violin Concerto No. 1 manages to astound me. It strikes me like a genuine masterpiece in any standard. Wow, all the movements are eloquently and uniformly brilliant in conception and technique, mastery. Mordkovitch is on fire along with Järvi and the Scottish N. O.

What are your other favorite recordings on this unique creation?

My favourite violin concerto of any composer.

That is indeed a great recording, along with Mullova/Previn.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 25, 2021, 10:41:27 PM
I've listened to a lot of Shostakovich in the last week or so. I'm currently listening to the 10th Symphony, and when I finish I'll have just No. 7 left to complete the cycle.

I noticed there isn't really a slow movement in No. 10. The first movement probably comes closest in mood but even then it's marked Moderato. There is also the lengthy slow introduction to the finale but that's not a full movement in its own right.

Saved the best for last, eh? ;) But seriously, the 7th is dozy of a symphony, but under the right baton, it is an extraordinary work. As for the 10th lacking a slow movement, as you pointed out, there are plenty of sections throughout the symphony that could be slow movements.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 26, 2021, 03:29:45 AM

I never could get into the Mullova/Previn performance of this concerto. Their performance of the Passacaglia is played at such a fast clip that it loses it's emotional pull, IMHO. Mullova is no doubt an amazing violinist and Previn knows his Shostakovich, but I found a disconnect between the two. Anyway, just my two measly cents.

Mirror Image

I'm sure I've posted these videos before, but I'll post them again:

https://www.youtube.com/v/K7MPc9M5Jo0

https://www.youtube.com/v/FVfz5YymsXI

Man, I miss Lenny. Such an articulate and passionate speaker he was and there's little doubt in my mind how much he loved this music.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2021, 08:29:19 PM
It is an incredible concerto without question, Cesar. I love it dearly. It is one of the only works that I've listened to that actually had me in tears. Favorite performances? Certainly that Mordkovitch/Järvi recording you were listening to, but also Batiashvili/Salonen, Vengerov/Rostropovich and, more recently, Ibragimova/Jurowski, which, interestingly enough, wasn't a performance that won me over when I first heard it. I've heard many other performances, but none of them quite hit the mark like the afore mentioned ones have for me.

Thanks for the reply, John. I also have Vengerov/Rostropovich in high esteem. The other recordings are still unknown to me, but I don't doubt they're splendid in their own ways.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 27, 2021, 02:37:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, John. I also have Vengerov/Rostropovich in high esteem. The other recordings are still unknown to me, but I don't doubt they're splendid in their own ways.

What do you think of his 2nd VC? This was a tougher nut to crack, but I find it rather rewarding now.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 26, 2021, 03:29:45 AM

Certainly mine too! It's astounding in every way!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 03:13:22 PM
What do you think of his 2nd VC? This was a tougher nut to crack, but I find it rather rewarding now.

It hasn't clicked on me yet, John. It left me somewhat cold the last time I heard it.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 27, 2021, 03:46:29 PM
It hasn't clicked on me yet, John. It left me somewhat cold the last time I heard it.

I find it spooky and rather creepy, which is typical wonderful late period Shostakovich. :) Maybe one day you'll come around to it.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 04:39:06 PM
I find it spooky and rather creepy, which is typical wonderful late period Shostakovich. :) Maybe one day you'll come around to it.

I hope so!

Noam Chomsky

Irons

A legendary premiere recording of the first concerto. Much later in life Oistrakh recorded the 2nd which is surprisingly a lacklustre performance.

Odd that the two great Shostakovich string concerto premiere recordings by legendary Russian performers, Oistrakh and Rostropovich, were both with American orchestras.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 03:13:22 PM
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 09:18:16 AM

Man, I miss Lenny. Such an articulate and passionate speaker he was and there's little doubt in my mind how much he loved this music.
Thank you for posting those John.  I just watched the one on Symphony No. 6...very interesting and informative!

Pd
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 29, 2021, 09:48:27 AM
Thank you for posting those John.  I just watched the one on Symphony No. 6...very interesting and informative!

Pd

Glad you enjoyed it, PD. 8) Besides being an outstanding conductor and superb composer, Lenny was such an eloquent speaker. He was able to articulate his thoughts incredibly well and get them across is such an accessible way. There will never be another like him.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2021, 11:21:48 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, PD. 8) Besides being an outstanding conductor and superb composer, Lenny was such an eloquent speaker. He was able to articulate his thoughts incredibly well and get them across is such an accessible way. There will never be another like him.
I knew that he had been involved in terms of areas like trying to introduce and explain music to young people, but it was also neat to see that he tried to help adults learn about and appreciate music to such a degree.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 29, 2021, 12:53:19 PM
I knew that he had been involved in terms of areas like trying to introduce and explain music to young people, but it was also neat to see that he tried to help adults learn about and appreciate music to such a degree.  :)

PD

Indeed. I can heartily recommend his Harvard lectures. Do check these out if you haven't already.

BasilValentine

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 27, 2021, 02:37:34 PM

The best performance I've heard of it was Vengerov live with the New York Philharmonic. Strangely, I don't remember who conducted.

Mirror Image

Quote from: BasilValentine on September 29, 2021, 02:40:19 PM
The best performance I've heard of it was Vengerov live with the New York Philharmonic. Strangely, I don't remember who conducted.

What year was the performance?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 09:18:16 AM

Thanks for the refresh, John. very much enjoyed them, as I knew I should.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot