Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 05, 2021, 06:02:26 PM
I need to revisit The Fall of Berlin. I certainly think that the scores for New Babylon and Alone are very fine.

They're also incredibly fun in my book. Shostakovich's more-carefree side doesn't lack inspiration at all.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Going back to all the film music is something on my to-do list. I do vaguely remember liking Alone/Odna.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

Definitely need to hear Shostakovich's film music. Been really digging Alfred Schnittke's film music lately.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 05, 2021, 08:20:01 PM
They're also incredibly fun in my book. Shostakovich's more-carefree side doesn't lack inspiration at all.

Agreed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 06, 2021, 05:43:46 AM
Definitely need to hear Shostakovich's film music. Been really digging Alfred Schnittke's film music lately.

DSCH's film music is mostly unknown to me, but look forward to exploring it too! Schnittke is also quite a find, for me. I have been impressed by John's (MI) reflections in recent months, and he has so much to offer.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 06, 2021, 09:24:25 AM
DSCH's film music is mostly unknown to me, but look forward to exploring it too! Schnittke is also quite a find, for me. I have been impressed by John's (MI) reflections in recent months, and he has so much to offer.

La crème de la crème, of course, is the brace of late Kozintsev Shakespeare soundtracks, Hamlet and Lear.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 06, 2021, 09:47:36 AM
La crème de la crème, of course, is the brace of late Kozintsev Shakespeare soundtracks, Hamlet and Lear.

*adds to list*
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 06, 2021, 09:47:36 AM

The plan in my head is actually to organise things by film director rather than by era. Kozintsev is the big one: once they started working together, it was on every film except one - from New Babylon in 1929 all the way through to Lear in 1971. That's quite a working relationship.

There's also a director named Arnshtam that Shostakovich worked with on 5 films. And a couple of other directors where there were repeated collaborations.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 06, 2021, 09:49:03 AM
*adds to list*

For sure some of DSCH's film scores really are major works regardless of the genre.  New Babylon is probably one of the highpoints of his early career - the music seems to be pouring out of him from drammatic to wacky to atmospheric and seen alongside the actual film it is simply sensational.  Likewise the Shakespeare scores - I particularly like Hamlet.  I conducted a suite of it with an amateur British orchestra in a sleepy town in South England once.  I got a (slightly) malicious delight when the good folk in the audience jumped on the first slashed chord!

The 'propagandist' scores are very fine given the context of the music required and how DSCH had to poduce them but personally I find them of less interest (but fun to hear)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 09, 2021, 09:22:58 AM
For sure some of DSCH's film scores really are major works regardless of the genre.  New Babylon is probably one of the highpoints of his early career - the music seems to be pouring out of him from drammatic to wacky to atmospheric and seen alongside the actual film it is simply sensational.  Likewise the Shakespeare scores - I particularly like Hamlet.  I conducted a suite of it with an amateur British orchestra in a sleepy town in South England once.  I got a (slightly) malicious delight when the good folk in the audience jumped on the first slashed chord!

The 'propagandist' scores are very fine given the context of the music required and how DSCH had to poduce them but personally I find them of less interest (but fun to hear)

Thanks for this. Now playing, and I agree very much with how good it is! Unfortunately, I can't find the Kozintsev Hamlet on Spotify :(. I would have liked to hear you in action, RS  :)

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

These are the film recordings I own for Shostakovich (all excellent):

On The Dance Album, this includes excerpts from the film The Gadfly.

foxandpeng

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 10, 2021, 09:07:23 AM

Ah, these look great. I shall continue with these, thank you!

Tolstoy

Roasted Swan

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 10, 2021, 02:46:43 PM
Ah, these look great. I shall continue with these, thank you!

If you've not heard them all 3 of the Chailly albums are great fun.  The collective titles are a bit spurious (especially Jazz!) but the programming/playing and engineering is top drawer......

foxandpeng

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 11, 2021, 06:22:38 AM
If you've not heard them all 3 of the Chailly albums are great fun.  The collective titles are a bit spurious (especially Jazz!) but the programming/playing and engineering is top drawer......

Really appreciate your recommendations. Much of my film music listening has been folk like Frederick Curzon, Arnold, Williams and Shore, so this is great stuff. 

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Let's not forget these great sets of Shostakovich's film music:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2021, 07:29:11 PM
Let's not forget these great sets of Shostakovich's film music:

Given that Serebrier is very good in other repertoire - and indeed the DSCH ballets on Naxos - those Belgium-sourced film discs are very thin gruel to my ear.  I think to be blunt, the orchestra is simply not that good..... The Capriccio set is excellent though

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 11, 2021, 11:57:44 PM
Given that Serebrier is very good in other repertoire - and indeed the DSCH ballets on Naxos - those Belgium-sourced film discs are very thin gruel to my ear.  I think to be blunt, the orchestra is simply not that good..... The Capriccio set is excellent though

I just treat the Serebrier set like most horrible sounding Soviet Era recordings. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 10, 2021, 09:07:23 AM

You should check this one out, too, Ray:

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2021, 06:12:32 AM
You should check this one out, too, Ray:

Indeed, John. It is on my list, along with a few others.

Mirror Image