Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 08:38:55 PM
Of course, silly me! Ok, now I have another tie. I can't live without any of them.

Somehow I knew you'd reconsider. ;) ;D

vers la flamme

I can't seem to get on with Babi Yar. But then I struggle with quite a few of Shostakovich's symphonies.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 03, 2021, 08:53:11 PM
I can't seem to get on with Babi Yar. But then I struggle with quite a few of Shostakovich's symphonies.

Try a non-linear tack? Focus on, say, "Fears" to start with....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 03, 2021, 08:41:21 PM
Somehow I knew you'd reconsider. ;) ;D

You know me rather well, then.  :P >:D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

It was Haitink's recording which made me appreciate this work, which I now consider one of Shostakovich's greatest symphonies. Haitink brought Vaughan Williams's 'A Sea Symphony' alive for me as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Babi Yar is an excellent piece in my opinion. I've got 2 recordings, Previn and Petrenko, and like them both.

It's also the piece that led me to strongly advocate for the value of actually knowing what is being sung about. Because the first time I heard the Anne Frank passage in the first movement with a translation to hand, it hit me like a sledgehammer.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

I had a great time yesterday listening to his first violin concerto with Oistrakh and Mitropoulos and the New York Phil. Orch (1965)!  Hadn't listened to that in ages.  Also read about the rehearsals and performance of it in Elizabeth Wilson's book on Shostakovich which was very enjoyable and helpful.   :)  I mentioned it and quoted a bit from her book over on the current listening thread.

By the way, do any of you here have any favorite more modern recordings of it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

I found Okko Kamu's CBSO blew me away...it was devastatingly impactful, and I wish he did a full cycle.  But it's from his late period so takes a bit more time for some to find their way to it.

Roasted Swan

Such a great work and so many fine versions.... but the one that I find especially fine is Barshai's in his Brilliant box with the WDR Cologne.  As everyone here will know - that's a generally fine cycle with no major disappointments BUT the No.13 is stand-out excellent.  For me it is the choral tone (and that of the soloist) that is key in this work and Barshai's chorus is simply superb.

aukhawk

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 04, 2021, 02:03:14 AM

To my ears Vengerov channels the spirit of Oistrakh in a good modern recording.
Ibragimova is the polar opposite (withdrawn, introverted) and is my current favourite, although I did at first have some reservations about the orchestral accompaniment.
Tetzlaff treads a fine line between the two and is also very recommendable IMHO.

Ibragimova incidentally plays the 'original' version where the soloist continues through into the Finale without the 8 bars rest.  For the listener, it's neither here nor there, the music is the same either way.

vandermolen

I had a great time yesterday listening to his first violin concerto with Oistrakh and Mitropoulos and the New York Phil. Orch (1965)!  Hadn't listened to that in ages.  Also read about the rehearsals and performance of it in Elizabeth Wilson's book on Shostakovich which was very enjoyable and helpful.   :)  I mentioned it and quoted a bit from her book over on the current listening thread.

PD
I like this version PD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 05, 2021, 03:01:22 AM
I like this version PD.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeffrey; I do have recordings of hers but not that one.  By the way, is that an early '80's recording?

PD

p.s.  Will put on some more Shosti when the Rachmaninov is over (soon).  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

I'm with Jeffrey in that Mordkovitch/Järvi in both VCs are top-drawer. Some of my favorite performances. I also have come around to the Ibragimova/Jurowski that aukhawk mentioned and like him, I wasn't completely convinced by Jurowski's accompaniment when I first heard it, but now I'm certainly whistling a different tune that I'm more familiar with the performance. Others I like are Vengerov/Rostropovich and Khachatryan/Masur (although Masur is far from the ideal accompanist, IMHO).

I think Ray (OrchestralNut) favors the Mullova/Previn, but I'll be honest and say it's a hit/miss. I think she's fine in the faster movements, but the menace and dread is totally missing from the Nocturne and Passacaglia. A shame really, because I really thought her performance would be one of the better ones, especially since she's got Previn at the helm.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2021, 06:35:25 AM
I'm with Jeffrey in that Mordkovitch/Järvi in both VCs are top-drawer. Some of my favorite performances. I also have come around to the Ibragimova/Jurowski that aukhawk mentioned and like him, I wasn't completely convinced by Jurowski's accompaniment when I first heard it, but now I'm certainly whistling a different tune that I'm more familiar with the performance. Others I like are Vengerov/Rostropovich and Khachatryan/Masur (although Masur is far from the ideal accompanist, IMHO).

I think Ray (OrchestralNut) favors the Mullova/Previn, but I'll be honest and say it's a hit/miss. I think she's fine in the faster movements, but the menace and dread is totally missing from the Nocturne and Passacaglia. A shame really, because I really thought her performance would be one of the better ones, especially since she's got Previn at the helm.
It will be interesting to hear someone besides Oistrakh play it as it was an amazing performance--not just by him but also thoroughly enjoyed the orchestra's playing of it too.  And the sound was quite good. 

Have you heard this one John?  If so, how did you like it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

PD

Left field PD, but a performance in the spirit of the great David Oistrakh recording with Mitropoulos with better sound and one hell of a pedigree; David's son, Igor Oistrakh violin with Dimitri's son, Maxim Shostakovich conducting the Moscow Radio SO on Melodiya.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2021, 06:54:09 AM
It will be interesting to hear someone besides Oistrakh play it as it was an amazing performance--not just by him but also thoroughly enjoyed the orchestra's playing of it too.  And the sound was quite good. 

Have you heard this one John?  If so, how did you like it?

PD

Oistrakh has always been the "gold standard" in Shostakovich's VCs (or, at least, the 1st VC), but I never subscribed to this opinion. I have always found his playing on the dry side and not expressive enough where the music certainly calls for it. Sorry, but the performances I mentioned are more worthy of my attention than any of the Oistrakh performances I've slogged my way through.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2021, 05:45:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Jeffrey; I do have recordings of hers but not that one.  By the way, is that an early '80's recording?

PD

p.s.  Will put on some more Shosti when the Rachmaninov is over (soon).  :)

PD
1990 release date PD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 05, 2021, 07:49:16 AM
Left field PD, but a performance in the spirit of the great David Oistrakh recording with Mitropoulos with better sound and one hell of a pedigree; David's son, Igor Oistrakh violin with Dimitri's son, Maxim Shostakovich conducting the Moscow Radio SO on Melodiya.
When is that one from Irons?  And was it a live or studio recording?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aukhawk on December 05, 2021, 01:33:01 AM
To my ears Vengerov channels the spirit of Oistrakh in a good modern recording.
Ibragimova is the polar opposite (withdrawn, introverted) and is my current favourite, although I did at first have some reservations about the orchestral accompaniment.
Tetzlaff treads a fine line between the two and is also very recommendable IMHO.

Ibragimova incidentally plays the 'original' version where the soloist continues through into the Finale without the 8 bars rest.  For the listener, it's neither here nor there, the music is the same either way.
And thank you for your thoughts and suggestions Aukhawk!  was she playing it live or in a studio?  Oistrakh played it live...hence the request/change for a break.  Mind you, this was also during very different times...I can try and share with you (via EW's book) how stressful it was to everyone involved at the premiere.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter