Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Quote from: Wurstwasser on December 15, 2008, 05:30:01 AM
Haven't listened a lot yet to #4, but I remember it was soo interesting. The whole music, also last movement somewhat reminded me of Mahler, e.g. the "Tamboursg'sell" (translated as 'little drummer boy') would go well with the last mvmt.
In another thread, we identified several Mahler quotes (from the symphonies) in that third movement, so you may be right as well.

karlhenning

Quote from: eyeresist on December 15, 2008, 04:00:39 PM
In another thread, we identified several Mahler quotes (from the symphonies) in that third movement, so you may be right as well.

Could you recap those for us here?

karlhenning

Dumbest thing I have yet seen said of the Leningrad Symphony:

QuoteLacking the structural inevitability of Bruckner or the prolific invention of Mahler . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning on December 15, 2008, 04:16:48 PM

Second asking.  I am interested.

Two-Tone

Dumbest thing anyone has yet seen said of an informed comment of the Leningrad Symphony:

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2008, 06:50:53 AM
Dumbest thing I have yet seen said of the Leningrad Symphony:

Kullervo

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2008, 06:50:53 AM
the structural inevitability of Bruckner

The only inevitability in Bruckner is that he will inevitably put me to sleep.  8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Corey on December 18, 2008, 07:07:36 AM
The only inevitability in Bruckner is that he will inevitably put me to sleep.  8)

We can turn this into a positive  8)

karlhenning

Best insight I have read today of the Leningrad Symphony:

QuoteIn the strange page scored for harp, bass clarinet, alto flute and two ordinary flutes, the balance of sonorities and easy tightness of execution was the kind of work that defines a world-class orchestra.

Although . . . "strange page"?  I find it magical.

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2008, 07:08:22 AM
We can turn this into a positive  8)
I have myself recently (after starting out with the same feelings). All it took for me was time and repeated listenings and now he's my favorite composer to listen to while in class.

Bulldog

Quote from: G$ on December 18, 2008, 12:06:28 PM
I have myself recently (after starting out with the same feelings). All it took for me was time and repeated listenings and now he's my favorite composer to listen to while in class.

Sounds like you're making the most of your educational experience. ;D

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on December 15, 2008, 04:16:48 PM
Weren't you in that thread at that time?

Quote from: G$What I didn't catch about this symphony until recently were the quotations from one of the main motives of Mahler's 4th. Pretty easy to miss, very subtle and most likely he did have it in mind although it could also have been just pure chance, being only a few notes (unless someone can prove this wrong).
Quote from: eyeresistI didn't notice references to Mahler's 4th, but I did notice the trumpet motif from the first movt of the 7th (the "Star Trek" fanfare), plus the reoccurring chord modulating from major to minor, from the 6th.
Quote from: G$
Quote from: eyeresistI didn't notice references to Mahler's 4th,
It's extremely easy to miss. It's just 4 notes plus two that are similar, a few minutes into the 3rd movement, and the flute plays this.......
Quote from: eyeresistbut I did notice the trumpet motif from the first movt of the 7th (the "Star Trek" fanfare), plus the reoccurring chord modulating from major to minor, from the 6th
Very interesting! This is what i like to hear in discussion about this symphony....... didn't even recognize this.

greg

Quote from: Bulldog on December 18, 2008, 12:08:54 PM
Sounds like you're making the most of your educational experience. ;D
That's the cool part about what I'm doing. During the weekdays, I have time for 3 CDs+ a day during class, so in the long run that equals a huge amount of music consumption. Just a couple days ago, I listened to Bruckner's 0-3rd symphonies all in one day, for the first time (and now I've officially heard them all, besides 00).

I also had been listening to the Shostakovich quartets enough to become very familiar with them, although I've taken a break since it'll be awhile until I can listen to another so it feels fresh again.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

BTW, someone mentioned "Star Trek". Symphony No. 5, first movement, second half, is very Star Wars like. And Symphony 1, movement 2, this must be where John Williams has the Darth Vader theme from. After a minute played by wind instruments, many repetitions.

greg

I'm listening to this tomorrow:

bhodges

Anyone in the Boston area going to see Opera Boston's production of The Nose?  More info here.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: James on January 06, 2009, 11:39:51 AM
Shosta's op.87 is patchy imo (doesn't matter who plays it) and it ain't JSB that's for sure.

A. It needn't be JSB; it's Shostakovich, and it's excellent.

B. Where are the 'patches', exactly? Take your time.

Israfel the Black

I am curious to know what the GMG's thoughts are on Shostakovich's early Piano Trio in A Minor, Op. 50. I find moments of bliss sandwiched between moments of dissonance. It is not considered by many to be a mature work, it seems; though I think it is among his best. Any thoughts?

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on December 22, 2008, 08:24:33 AM
Anyone in the Boston area going to see Opera Boston's production of The Nose?  More info here.

Most tempting.

Quote from: Israfel the Black on February 10, 2009, 07:10:41 PM
I am curious to know what the GMG's thoughts are on Shostakovich's early Piano Trio in A Minor, Op. 50. I find moments of bliss sandwiched between moments of dissonance. It is not considered by many to be a mature work, it seems; though I think it is among his best. Any thoughts?

I like it very well. Not sure about among his best, but it is fine indeed.

ChamberNut

Any recommendations for great recordings of Shostakovich's Piano Quintet in G minor, op. 57

Normally, I don't like multiple composer discs, but I noticed at least a few pairings with Schnittke's Piano Quintet, which sound really tempting, as I found Schnittke's PQ to be extremely haunting!  0:)

Lethevich

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 02, 2009, 09:49:37 AM
Any recommendations for great recordings of Shostakovich's Piano Quintet in G minor, op. 57

Normally, I don't like multiple composer discs, but I noticed at least a few pairings with Schnittke's Piano Quintet, which sound really tempting, as I found Schnittke's PQ to be extremely haunting!  0:)

The Naxos coupling of those two is a successful recording. The Shostakovich in particular is a fine performance in clear sound.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.