Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lethe on March 02, 2009, 09:59:50 AM
The Naxos coupling of those two is a successful recording. The Shostakovich in particular is a fine performance in clear sound.

Dog thanks cat for recommendation!  :D ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on December 22, 2008, 08:24:33 AM
Anyone in the Boston area going to see Opera Boston's production of The Nose? . . .

Happily, Bruce, it turns out that I shall, tomorrow.

ChamberNut

Just checked this DVD out from the library (even though I may not have time to watch it in the next few days):

Shostakovich - Sonata for Viola

A film by Semyon Aranovich and Alexander Sokurov

Has anyone seen this?  :)

karlhenning

vandermolen

A friend recommended a new Naxos release of 'The Girlfriends' (film score) etc by Shostakovich, which I listened to today.  I strongly recommend it - it is a most quirky but engaging score alternating between string quartet, orchestra, chorus and featuring a mad theremin passage (like something out of the score for the film Ed Wood). It is like nothing else I have heard by Shostakovich but it works and the sad end is moving - if you like Shostakovich and fancy something a bit different you should enjoy this CD. It also features an equally strange theatre score for 'Rule, Britannia!' (never published as the play's author was executed in the purges). However, of enormous interest is the original opening seven minutes of Shostakovich's 9th Symphony, which is nothing like the actual 9th Symphony and more in keeping with the spirit of the Leningrad Symphony and Symphony No 8 - it has a great sense of urgency and I immediately wanted to hear it again (it is called 'Symphonic Movement' - 1945 unfinished).  Part of me wishes that Shostakovich had continued with this work:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Hmm . . . most interesting, Jeffrey!  The bits of (for instance) Moskva-Cheryomushki which are an extra on a DVD are charming, interesting, though I don't think I need it in the home library.  I do really like the Odna score for what it is.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 29, 2009, 09:28:58 AM
Hmm . . . most interesting, Jeffrey!  The bits of (for instance) Moskva-Cheryomushki which are an extra on a DVD are charming, interesting, though I don't think I need it in the home library.  I do really like the Odna score for what it is.

Hi Karl, I must look out for 'Odna' score although I have the Hamlet Naxos CD. I did enjoy this one (picture now above).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Oh, that's a Naxos disc I should snaffle.

bhodges

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2009, 09:25:17 AM
A friend recommended a new Naxos release of 'The Girlfriends' (film score) etc by Shostakovich, which I listened to today.  I strongly recommend it - it is a most quirky but engaging score alternating between string quartet, orchestra, chorus and featuring a mad theremin passage (like something out of the score for the film Ed Wood). It is like nothing else I have heard by Shostakovich but it works and the sad end is moving - if you like Shostakovich and fancy something a bit different you should enjoy this CD. It also features an equally strange theatre score for 'Rule, Britannia!' (never published as the play's author was executed in the purges). However, of enormous interest is the original opening seven minutes of Shostakovich's 9th Symphony, which is nothing like the actual 9th Symphony and more in keeping with the spirit of the Leningrad Symphony and Symphony No 8 - it has a great sense of urgency and I immediately wanted to hear it again (it is called 'Symphonic Movement' - 1945 unfinished).  Part of me wishes that Shostakovich had continued with this work:

What an intriguing recording!  Thanks so much for the comments and I will probably see if I can find it over the weekend. 

--Bruce

snyprrr

Shostakovich is the Led Zeppelin of classical music.

vandermolen

Quote from: bhodges on May 29, 2009, 09:45:54 AM
What an intriguing recording!  Thanks so much for the comments and I will probably see if I can find it over the weekend. 

--Bruce

Bruce,

I'll be curious to know what you make of it! (and Karl too if you 'snaffle' a copy  ;))

Jefffrey

Herman

Quote from: snyprrr on May 30, 2009, 12:12:54 AM

meaning?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on May 30, 2009, 12:12:54 AM

It's the other way around. Shostakovich came first. So Led Zepplin is the Shostakovich of pop music. 8)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

I can't quit Mitya, babe . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: eyeresistbut I did notice the trumpet motif from the first movt of the 7th (the "Star Trek" fanfare), plus the reoccurring chord modulating from major to minor, from the 6th

Well, you remind me that I need yet to listen to the Mahler Seventh (and it was commended to me by a friend, now passed away, rest his soul, who admired both composers).

karlhenning

I have a co-worker who loves music, generally likes classical music, but somehow, he thinks he hates Shostakovich.

Of course, that may simply be The Case.  But if you had to select one piece to wean him away from distaste for Shostakovich: Which would it be?

not edward

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 31, 2009, 02:41:56 PM
I have a co-worker who loves music, generally likes classical music, but somehow, he thinks he hates Shostakovich.

Of course, that may simply be The Case.  But if you had to select one piece to wean him away from distaste for Shostakovich: Which would it be?
Either the first violin concerto or the second piano concerto, depending on his taste in music, I think.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

ChamberNut

Jazz Suite No. 2  or the Piano Quintet

Dancing Divertimentian

The fifth symphony and the eighth string quartet seem to be among Shostakovich's more popular pieces, although I can see just about anybody being engaged by the more obscure Op.67 piano trio, especially with that haunting opening (which, btw, my wife - no classical connoisseur - just loves).
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Herman

The best way to awaken someone to DSCH is take him or her to a concert. There's always some sort of drama in DSCH's music, which isn't helped by thecomforts of a cd-player &c.