Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Finally, I like Dmitri's music much more than his movies.

Brian

Good call - they are wearing the same glasses!  :o

greg

That is so creepy. It's pretty much impossible to tell them apart. I wonder what the Harry Potter actor would look like when he's 40?

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on July 05, 2009, 08:17:44 PM
That is so creepy. It's pretty much impossible to tell them apart. I wonder what the Harry Potter actor would look like when he's 40?

By the time the final movie comes out you'll see. ;D

greg

You know, what'd be great is if he started playing as Shostakovich in a biography...

karlhenning

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 05, 2009, 08:02:47 PM
Finally, I like Dmitri's music much more than his movies.

To disregard the visual pun  8)

. . . but you do like the Kozintsev films with Shostakovich soundtracks, yes?

Quote from: Greg on July 05, 2009, 08:17:44 PMI wonder what the Harry Potter actor would look like when he's 40?

We only know about Harry Potter how he looks like when he's 68.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 06, 2009, 05:25:46 AM. . . but you do like the Kozintsev films with Shostakovich soundtracks, yes?

Never heard of those. But Gadfly music is lovely.

karlhenning

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 06, 2009, 06:22:24 AM
Never heard of those.

Watch them! Hamlet and King Lear. Essential viewing for Shostakovich enthusiasts.

greg

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 06, 2009, 06:22:24 AM
We only know about Harry Potter how he looks like when he's 68.

Never heard of those. But Gadfly music is lovely.
Nice. He looks like a zombie. Makes me wanna play Resident Evil, and throw incendiary grenades at crowds of those dumb zombies and then watch them catch on fire and die.  8)

eyeresist

I recently got a 4-disc set of historic Russian recordings of Khachaturian's symphonies, etc. (Venezia/Melodiya), my first discovery of this music. How is this relevant? Well, if you find yourself wishing there was somehow another Shosty symphony or cello concerto to listen to, you may well delight in Khach's 2nd symphony and his cello concerto, both of which are heavily influenced by Shostakovich, and both excellent works in their own right. The symphony's andante makes rather quirky use of the Dies Irae.

karlhenning

While I do not foresee the Eleventh gaining on the racecourse (so to speak) against other symphonies as my favorites, I find myself increasingly appreciative of its virtues.

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2009, 03:26:48 AM
While I do not foresee the Eleventh gaining on the racecourse (so to speak) against other symphonies as my favorites, I find myself increasingly appreciative of its virtues.

I can see this becoming my favorite, as I'm listening to it now.  Someday.   8)

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 31, 2009, 11:54:09 AM
I can see this becoming my favorite, as I'm listening to it now.  Someday.   8)

It's definitely one of mine.  How is that recording you're listening to?  I'm not familiar with that conductor at all.

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on August 31, 2009, 11:56:20 AM
It's definitely one of mine.  How is that recording you're listening to?  I'm not familiar with that conductor at all.

--Bruce

Hard to compare, as I think I've only heard this symphony once before (Barshai/WDR).  Kirill Karabits is a young Ukrainian conductor (32 years old), now principal conductor of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra.  Part of the main article of the BBC "The Russians Are Coming", which talks about how so many Russian (or former Soviet nations) born conductors are now the principal conductors of several major British symphony orchestras.

vandermolen

I am old enough to remember Shostakovich's death in 1975. At the time there were reports in some newspapers that he had been working on his 16th Symphony at the time of his death.  I have never heard any mention of it since.  Does anyone know if this is true?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2009, 12:42:36 PM
I am old enough to remember Shostakovich's death in 1975. At the time there were reports in some newspapers that he had been working on his 16th Symphony at the time of his death.  I have never heard any mention of it since.  Does anyone know if this is true?

I was 3 in 1975... Vandermolen, not much is known afaics. I've asked for the Symphony No. 16 at GMG here....

Hey. Is that Dmitri in the new Pixar movie "Up"? ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Wurstwasser on September 02, 2009, 02:44:36 AM
I was 3 in 1975... Vandermolen, not much is known afaics. I've asked for the Symphony No. 16 at GMG here....

Hey. Is that Dmitri in the new Pixar movie "Up"? ;)

Thank you! You were 3 in 1975 - I was 20. I am now so old that I had forgot that I had actually responded to your original thread  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 07:38:58 AM
Where have you and Bogey been living the past 15 years? In a bubble? You have never seen or heard of this recording?

If you buy one recording a decade I hope it is this one. The recording of the Leningrad not only is the greatest recording of this piece on record (and I have 10 plus versions of this work), it is one of the greatest recordings of anything by anyone.

Which ten?  :)

DavidW

See I would just call that recording (Bernstein/CSO #7) pretty good, instead of the best ever of anything.  Kondrashin's recording is much better performance-wise, and Barshai is just as good as the Bernstein.

karlhenning

Similarly, Davey, I like it very well, but I don't know that I'd quite call it first in its class.