Kitayenko/WDR
Jansons/St. Petersburg PO/EMI
Temirkanov/St. Petersburg PO/RCA
Masur/NYPO/Teldec
Rozhdestvensky/Moscow RSO/Russian disc
Neumann/Czech PO/Supraphon
Ancerl/Czech PO/Supraphon

I counted 10 (11 if you add Lenny/CSO).

To me Lenny just plays the closing pages with those walls and walls of bras swells like nobody else.

karlhenning

Which two do you like the least, and why?  And thank you for your answer and indulgence.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 17, 2009, 09:34:36 AM
Which two do you like the least, and why?  And thank you for your answer and indulgence.
The least? I can't really say, they are all good in their own ways. But the ones that didn't really interest me as much as the others are probably Jansons and Temirkanov, which even surprises me since they are both with the St. Petersburg/Leningrad PO. Maybe it's the expectations, I expected the LPO under Jansons and Temirkanov to sound like the LPO under Mravinsky, the same kind of frightening spectrum of sounds from the faintest ppp to the loudest fff and the same frenzy everytime there is a stringendo. Instead what I got from Jansons and Temirkanov is terrific playing, razor-sharp ensemble, but no real SOUL behind the music. If you like this approach you are better off with Barshai or Kitayenko, where the WDR play every bit as well as it's more famous Russian counterpart.

I also think the Masur is a terrific performance. THe raw, edgy sound of the NYPO fits this music perfectly, more so than the rather smooth and mellow sounding WDR. I am a bit undecided on the M. Shostakovich. The Prague players have a rather unique sound, a bit wobbly at times, that tend to be an acquired taste. Right now I am not in the taste for it.

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 10:03:18 AM
The least? I can't really say, they are all good in their own ways.

I'm good with that.  There probably are dud recordings out there, but I do genuinely enjoy all of the half-a-dozen (maybe) Leningrads I have got.

Herman

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 09:26:53 AM

To me Lenny just plays the closing pages with those walls and walls of bras swells like nobody else.

I'm having problems picturing "walls of bras". Not sure whether that was DSCH's intention. Kinda like this?

karlhenning

Not enough swell, Herman.

(Had to; just had to, I tell ya.)

PerfectWagnerite

I almost forget, there is one that I failed to mentioned that is a complete dud - Gergiev. This one is just a complete disaster from rather murky balance to no real concept of the work. It sounds like Solti conducting Wagner, sections of music just glossed over aiming for the few orchestral moments where you can just milk it.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Herman on September 17, 2009, 10:14:27 AM
I'm having problems picturing "walls of bras". Not sure whether that was DSCH's intention. Kinda like this?

Huh huh, I mean't brass. But I do like bras better, especially what is usually underneath them ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 10:15:58 AM
I almost forget, there is one that I failed to mentioned that is a complete dud - Gergiev. This one is just a complete disaster from rather murky balance to no real concept of the work. It sounds like Solti conducting Wagner, sections of music just glossed over aiming for the few orchestral moments where you can just milk it.

Gosh, I've got that one, but I honestly don't recall listening to it . . . .

(The performance I heard him lead the Mariinka in, in Worcester's Mechanics Hall, was utterly magnificent, though.)

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 10:17:00 AM
Huh huh, I mean't brass. But I do like bras better, especially what is usually underneath them ;D

I did think Herman's jest bras-ingly funny/

ChamberNut

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 10:17:00 AM
But I do like bras better, especially what is usually underneath them ;D

What he said.  ;D

Tahar Mouslim

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 17, 2009, 10:03:18 AM
The least? I can't really say, they are all good in their own ways. But the ones that didn't really interest me as much as the others are probably Jansons and Temirkanov, which even surprises me since they are both with the St. Petersburg/Leningrad PO. Maybe it's the expectations, I expected the LPO under Jansons and Temirkanov to sound like the LPO under Mravinsky, the same kind of frightening spectrum of sounds from the faintest ppp to the loudest fff and the same frenzy everytime there is a stringendo. Instead what I got from Jansons and Temirkanov is terrific playing, razor-sharp ensemble, but no real SOUL behind the music. If you like this approach you are better off with Barshai or Kitayenko, where the WDR play every bit as well as it's more famous Russian counterpart.

I also think the Masur is a terrific performance. THe raw, edgy sound of the NYPO fits this music perfectly, more so than the rather smooth and mellow sounding WDR. I am a bit undecided on the M. Shostakovich. The Prague players have a rather unique sound, a bit wobbly at times, that tend to be an acquired taste. Right now I am not in the taste for it.

What I put in bold in your message is the reason why I'm surprised you did not make mention of that

among your other 11 ones.

OK, I'm very biased as far as Mravinsky is concerned, but this is the most non complacent, implacable interpretation of this particular symphony on records that I know.

PerfectWagnerite

I didn't mention that one because I don't have it.

vandermolen

This is as good a performance of this symphony as I have heard (I have versions by Kondrashin, Haitink, Maxim S, Gergiev, Jarvi, Previn etcetcetc)  Magnificent performance from the Netherlands RSO and Mark Wigglesworth - terrific SACD recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

offbeat

[img][http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517RvRk7IeL._SL160_AA115_.jpg/img]

First time ive heard The Gadfly and is very surprising even pastoral in tone - im amazed that someone can write something like this as well as the deeply intense works such as the string quartets and works like the 8th and 10th symphonies - nevetheless very pleasant side to his composing  :)

offbeat

Now playing DSCH Suite Five Days Five Nights which is quite different - recognize bits of his symphonies here no 6 and 11 i think as well as Beethovens Ode to Joy -Very interesting cd

George

Quote from: Tahar Mouslim on September 17, 2009, 11:00:54 AM
What I put in bold in your message is the reason why I'm surprised you did not make mention of that

among your other 11 ones.

OK, I'm very biased as far as Mravinsky is concerned, but this is the most non complacent, implacable interpretation of this particular symphony on records that I know.

Mravinsky's 11th with the LPO is tremendous! I haven't heard that 7, but I bet it's great!

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Listened to Wagner's Siegfried a bit and just realized, Dmitri quoted "Siegfrieds death" in the very beginning of Mvmt. 4/ Symphony No. 15. Didn't know that...

karlhenning

Quote from: jlaurson on January 12, 2010, 04:37:01 PM

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 12, 2010, 03:56:42 PM
Landed today:

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 [Includes DVD]
Haitink & the CSO

This I have put off listening to for... well, ever since it came out. I don't know why... I liked all the other CSO Resound stuff. I didn't even know it contained a DVD. Watching it now. Finally.

I've actually been curious to hear this one for a long time (and would have popped it right in today, only I have been on such a Boulez - Webern tear . . . .)

I really liked (at first listen) the CSO account of the Opus 43 led by Previn;  and though this symphony is one of those from Haitink's London set to which I have not listened, I do like very well most of the ones I have heard.  So, the combination of orchestra and conductor has been appealing to me.

Too late today.  Will give 'er a spin tomorrow morning.