Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philoctetes

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 03, 2011, 08:08:01 AM
Philoctetes Dmitriyevich Shostakovich would be fine.

Best regards,
a jackass.

:P

DavidW

I guess I could call myself David W. Joseph Haydn. :D

Philoctetes

Quote from: haydnfan on May 03, 2011, 08:14:15 AM
I guess I could call myself David W. Joseph Haydn. :D

I think everyone knows who you are. I don't think anyone comes close to having as many posts as you.  :-*

Philoctetes

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 28, 2011, 07:47:51 PM
Did Kurt Sanderling ever conduct Symphony No. 11 and is it available on CD?

I'm sure that he conducted it at some point, but I cannot seem to find even a rumor of a compact disc, sadly.

DavidW

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 03, 2011, 08:15:28 AM
I think everyone knows who you are. I don't think anyone comes close to having as many posts as you.  :-*

Karl has 10x the post count.  He is our prolific poster. :)

Philoctetes

Quote from: haydnfan on May 03, 2011, 08:41:14 AM
Karl has 10x the post count.  He is our prolific poster. :)

Only because a certain someone has a habit of doing something.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Shosta 5-finale, shouldn't the timpany (when being solo for a moment) slow down? He doesn't here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LqDSSdpew&feature=player_detailpage#t=645s

eyeresist

Good luck finding this thread if you search by "Shostakovich"...

I recently took delivery of the symphony cycle conducted by Rozhdestvensky, released through Venezia. This means I now have practically all the major Russian cycles: Kondrashin, Rozhdy, Mravinsky (incomplete), plus Svetlanov (1, 5 & 7). Hooray!

I'm currently listening to disc 1 of the set, symphonies 1 and 12. The interpretations seem a bit soft-edged compared to the recordings I favour, but I will remain optimistic.

My preferences for the cycle are:

1.  Svet
4.  Kond
5.  Svet
6.  Mrav
7.  ???
8.  Mrav (Regis)
9.  Kond
10. Karajan
11. ???
12. ???
15. Mrav

BTW, the Jansons cycle was mostly disappointing, but I do very much like his discs of 1/15 and 9/10. Pick them up if they become available separately.

karlhenning

Quote from: eyeresist on May 05, 2011, 11:25:01 PM
BTW, the Jansons cycle was mostly disappointing, but I do very much like his discs of 1/15 and 9/10. Pick them up if they become available separately.

I haven't heard his entire cycle, but the Tenth & Fifteenth are certainly excellent.  His account of the Eighth (with Pittsburgh, IIRC) is also very good.

Quote from: eyeresist on May 05, 2011, 11:25:01 PMGood luck finding this thread if you search by "Shostakovich"...
I find the thread best if a) I'm being on top forum level and b) search for "dmitri".

Not much experience with Janssons, because in my favourite Symphonies I prefer Sanderling (1,5,8,15), Karajan (10) and Haitink (11). I've got Janssons 4th, but the 4th itself is yet to be cracked by me.

Opus106

Quote from: eyeresist on May 05, 2011, 11:25:01 PM
Good luck finding this thread if you search by "Shostakovich"...

Do you mean to say that you don't have the GMG Composer Index bookmarked?
Regards,
Navneeth

eyeresist

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 06, 2011, 07:01:19 AM
I find the thread best if a) I'm being on top forum level and b) search for "dmitri".

Not much experience with Janssons, because in my favourite Symphonies I prefer Sanderling (1,5,8,15), Karajan (10) and Haitink (11). I've got Janssons 4th, but the 4th itself is yet to be cracked by me.
Searching dmitri didn't work for me :(

Haven't heard Sanderling. Listened to a bit more of the set - 4 is the standout so far, possibly supplanting* Kondrashin. Very intense, and better sound than K.

But my god it's a long bloody symphony - or sounds that way, having no structure I can discern. I looked through some different CD liner notes and got no clue from them.

* Dictionary tells me to use supplant, not surplant, but sur (Middle English < Old French < Latin 'super') and plant (v. 'plant') does actually work IMO.

Start the search from here, the top left link...

Quote from: eyeresist on May 08, 2011, 03:47:13 PMBut my god it's a long bloody symphony - or sounds that way, having no structure I can discern. I looked through some different CD liner notes and got no clue from them.
Exactly my problem. I'm sure understanding of the structure and pleasure will come with repeated listenings, so the 4th will require time - more than other symphonies of his. Currently I could only enjoy the mysterious and frightening finale of the 4th... Shostakovich was so good at movements endings... (Why wasn't Bruckner?...) The 4th requires so much time which I cannot afford currently... So until July I'll play his 11th and 10th back and forth, and his 8th SQ :)

karlhenning

July? What if we do a Listener Group on the Fourth in June?

DavidW

One listening group at a time Karl. :D

Nah, I'm in. :)

karlhenning

Quote from: haydnfan on May 09, 2011, 04:23:51 AM
One listening group at a time Karl. :D

That's right!  Agon in May, the Shostakovich Opus 43 in June . . . .

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 09, 2011, 03:38:09 AMJuly? What if we do a Listener Group on the Fourth in June?
I'll not be part of it because I introduce an IT System which has to be finished until 06-30 with spare time already. I'm already lagging with my clarinet exercises :( Or maybe, at a weekend?! Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. Where's the listening group thread?

karlhenning

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 09, 2011, 06:25:32 AM
I'll not be part of it because I introduce an IT System which has to be finished until 06-30 with spare time already. I'm already lagging with my clarinet exercises :(

All right, we'll set it for July; don't want to leave you out!

You still in, Davey?

(Should think of something else for June . . . .)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 09, 2011, 06:27:32 AMAll right, we'll set it for July; don't want to leave you out!
[DSCH 4/Listening group]
If in July, I'm in. It's a welcome reason to listen to #4 properly. Is there a dedicated thread? Rules? Etc.?

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 09, 2011, 06:27:32 AM
All right, we'll set it for July; don't want to leave you out!

You still in, Davey?

(Should think of something else for June . . . .)

Yup I'm good. :)