Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Karl Henning...have you heard Rozhdestvensky's recording of The Bolt? Nobody has responded, but maybe if I call people out it might work...

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 08, 2011, 08:27:14 AM
I browsed that book once, it sort of rubbed me mildly the wrong way for some reason(s) or other . . . .

Do you remember why, Karl? (my theory: she's not a real music critic, just a fan)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

karlhenning

I should have a fresh look to remember why. And of course, a real music critic might write something which runs me the wrong way as readily as a fan . . . might almost say that I prefer a fan who writes well to, oh, any number of real music critics ; )

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 08, 2011, 08:50:52 AM
Karl Henning...have you heard Rozhdestvensky's recording of The Bolt?might work...

I've not.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 08, 2011, 02:21:17 PM
I've not.

Thanks. Have you heard The Golden Age? If yes, what did you think about that work?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 08, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
I . . . might almost say that I prefer a fan who writes well to, oh, any number of real music critics ; )

Yeah, I should have been more specific. "Fan" writing tends to be more impressionistic; "critic" writing tends to be more technical. Finding the right balance between the two is one of the things that makes writing about music difficult.

Brian

Thing I did not know:

"Do you know, as it happens, Shostakovich has actually written a piece called Football, which reflects a football game in about five to seven minutes. It's a lovely little piece, in which you can clearly hear the whistles of the referee, the players running here and there, and struggling with each other, so there are many similarities."
- from an interview with Vasily Petrenko

Mirror Image

Bought these tonight:

Have anyone heard any of these?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2011, 09:24:07 PM
Have anyone heard any of these?

The Järvi 10th is really good - one of the best versions I've heard.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Velimir on October 18, 2011, 10:48:02 PM
The Järvi 10th is really good - one of the best versions I've heard.

1, 6 and 9 are superbly performed too. Sonically very appealing with great brass and percussion. The Suite from Katerina Ismailova is a unique (I don't see many recordings available) and substantial bonus: the interpretation brutal and nasty--as it should be. Best Festive Overture I've ever heard too. And if Järvi's "Tea for Two" doesn't put a big grin on your face, you're seriously lacking a funny bone  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

The Fourth is recorded in too reverberant a space, so that too many passages are rather muddy.  Easily the worst recording of the symphony that I've heard.

not edward

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 19, 2011, 04:09:01 AM
The Fourth is recorded in too reverberant a space, so that too many passages are rather muddy.  Easily the worst recording of the symphony that I've heard.
Was that one of the ones recorded in Glasgow City Hall? It was an acoustic nightmare when I lived in Glasgow in the mid-to-late 90s, though I read that it's had a major refurbishment since then.

I wasn't impressed by the Jarvi 4th either--my memories are of a performance seriously lacking in nuance--I had a culling of 4ths about a decade ago and it and the generally underpowered Ashkenazy were the two recordings that went straight to the 'trade' pile.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

Aye, that's the venue, Edward

not edward

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 19, 2011, 06:18:16 AM
Aye, that's the venue, Edward
Random Glasgow City Hall trivia: I was told by one of the orchestra players that when the BBC Scottish Symphony did Nielsen's 5th there in the '90s, they had to place the side-drummer on a balcony far above the orchestra to make sure it cut clearly enough through the aural mess in the hall.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 19, 2011, 04:09:01 AM

The 9th was recorded in the Henry Woods Hall Glasgow. It doesn't share those sonic faults.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Thanks for all your feedback. I've always liked Neeme Jarvi's Prokofiev recordings, so, naturally, I was inclined to buy the Shostakovich ones.

Robert

I do not own any Chandos Shostakovich.  I own the DG 11th.   I was very unhappy with this performance so, I never bothered getting any more of his Shostakovich. Prokofiev is another story. .

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 19, 2011, 09:06:31 AM
I do not own any Chandos Shostakovich.  I own the DG 11th.   I was very unhappy with this performance so, I never bothered getting any more of his Shostakovich. Prokofiev is another story. .

I've never been too impressed with Jarvi's DG recordings for some reason, but I think apart of this comes from his usual choice of orchestra for this label: the Gothenburg Symphony, which lack a certain rawness I like in Shostakovich.

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2011, 06:03:41 PM
I've never been too impressed with Jarvi's DG recordings for some reason, but I think apart of this comes from his usual choice of orchestra for this label: the Gothenburg Symphony, which lack a certain rawness I like in Shostakovich.
[/quote

The only set I own is by Kondrachine  w/ Orch Philarmonique de Moscow on Melodia U.S.S. R.  I do own many of his symphonies by Bernstein, Ormandy, Jansons and Wigglesworth....I never felt Jarvi had that rawness,
which he didn't need in Prokofiev.....

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 19, 2011, 07:09:37 PMThe only set I own is by Kondrashin  w/ Orch Philarmonique de Moscow on Melodia U.S.S. R.  I do own many of his symphonies by Bernstein, Ormandy, Jansons and Wigglesworth....I never felt Jarvi had that rawness, which he didn't need in Prokofiev.....

But Jarvi's Chandos recordings with Scottish National Orchestra are quite different than the ones on DG. That rawness is ever present in these recordings.