Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2011, 06:03:41 PM
his usual choice of orchestra for this label: the Gothenburg Symphony

...which were his "usual choice" because he was their Chief Conductor for many, many years.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 19, 2011, 07:20:27 PM
...which were his "usual choice" because he was their Chief Conductor for many, many years.

That's right! I like his work with the Scottish National Orchestra the best.

Mirror Image

What does everybody think of the Haitink set?

It has been a few years since I listened to this set. I can't remember the pros/cons of it. I'm thinking about digging it back out, what do you think I should listen to first or what, in your opinion, is one of the better performances of the set?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 20, 2011, 09:16:04 PM

I've heard several of the performances in the set. The 8th is a powerful and relentless performance, with awesome playing by the Conc'bouw. The 15th is also very good. The 5th is pretty good, but middle-of-the-road. I can't recall hearing anything else, but the set as a whole seems to get mostly positive reviews.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

not edward

Quote from: Velimir on October 20, 2011, 09:58:49 PM
I've heard several of the performances in the set. The 8th is a powerful and relentless performance, with awesome playing by the Conc'bouw. The 15th is also very good. The 5th is pretty good, but middle-of-the-road. I can't recall hearing anything else, but the set as a whole seems to get mostly positive reviews.
Agreed regarding the 15th; it's a very fine performance, as is the 14th if you can deal with Fischer-Dieskau barking his way through his vocal parts. Generally, what I've heard I would describe as very well-executed, sympathetic mainstream readings. Whether the listener prefers their Shostakovich in this manner or, say, the approach of a Kondrashin, is likely to come down to individual preference, I think.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'll start with the 15th and 8th then. 8)

karlhenning

I like the Seventh and Thirteenth in the Haitink cycle, as well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 21, 2011, 08:27:14 AM
I like the Seventh and Thirteenth in the Haitink cycle, as well.

Everybody, let's just list the whole cycle. ;)

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 20, 2011, 09:16:04 PM

It has been a few years since I listened to this set. I can't remember the pros/cons of it. I'm thinking about digging it back out, what do you think I should listen to first or what, in your opinion, is one of the better performances of the set?

John,
Have you heard any Jansons??.

karlhenning

Quote from: Robert on October 21, 2011, 09:18:20 AM
John,

You didn't ask me . . . but the Eighth, Tenth and Fifteenth are particularly outstanding in the Jansons cycle.

Robert

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 21, 2011, 09:26:33 AM
You didn't ask me . . . but the Eighth, Tenth and Fifteenth are particularly outstanding in the Jansons cycle.

Sorry Karl. I don't know what I was thinking..Please forgive me.  I guess I was away far too long....I agree with your choices.....I never cared for his Symphony 2 - 3, until I heard Jansons.  I have most of his Shostakovich. He is near the top for me....

karlhenning

No worries, Robert, I just chimed right in . . . .

PaulR

If I recall it correctly (Haven't listened to it in a while) his Thirteenth is also very good in my opinion

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 21, 2011, 09:18:20 AM
John,

Yes, I own and heard the Jansons cycle. I don't remember it though. :-[

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I can vouch for that 15th. It's on the dark side, rather than the whimsical side of the intepretation continuum.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 21, 2011, 08:27:14 AMI like the Seventh and Thirteenth in the Haitink cycle, as well.
The one and only Eleventh is with Haitink. I know I've already mentioned that, but I can't resist.

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 21, 2011, 08:22:01 PM
Yes, I own and heard the Jansons cycle. I don't remember it though. :-[

Morning John,

I take this to mean you found nothing memorable about his conducting.   Which Shostakovich symphony conductor or conductors do you remember. Can you identify them just by listening to them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 24, 2011, 09:15:27 AM
Morning John,

I take this to mean you found nothing memorable about his conducting.   Which Shostakovich symphony conductor or conductors do you remember. Can you identify them just by listening to them.

Morning Robert,

I took Sanderling, Petrenko, Rattle, and Rostropovich when I first heard them. I can recognize each of these conductors interpretations by the sound of the orchestra and by how they accent different phrases. Haitink and Jansons I seem to can't remember a note. I don't know why.

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2011, 09:19:49 AM
Morning Robert,

I took Sanderling, Petrenko, Rattle, and Rostropovich when I first heard them. I can recognize each of these conductors interpretations by the sound of the orchestra and by how they accent different phrases. Haitink and Jansons I seem to can't remember a note. I don't know why.

Yes  I understand.  The one thing I hear in Haitink is his intense detail to sound....It sucks you right in......I also enjoy Rostropovich....

Robert

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on October 24, 2011, 04:17:35 AM
The one and only Eleventh is with Haitink. I know I've already mentioned that, but I can't resist.

Forgetting  the age of the recording, Stokowski gives him some stiff competition...