Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 24, 2011, 09:40:55 AM
Yes  I understand.  The one thing I hear in Haitink is his intense detail to sound....It sucks you right in......I also enjoy Rostropovich....

I'm going to try and give Haitink another trial, because it has been many years since I've listened to any performance from his cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 24, 2011, 09:43:11 AM
Forgetting  the age of the recording, Stokowski give him some stiff competition...

As does, Rostropovich. What a scorching performance with the LSO. He also did a good earlier one with National Symphony Orchestra on Teldec.

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2011, 09:43:47 AM
I'm going to try and give Haitink another trial, because it has been many years since I've listened to any performance from his cycle.

John

Did you mean Jansons a trial?  If you meant Haitink start with 10, 8 & 11.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 24, 2011, 10:22:09 AM
John

Did you mean Jansons a trial?  If you meant Haitink start with 10, 8 & 11.

No, I'm talking about Haitink. I will give these a listen, Robert. Thanks.

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2011, 10:26:17 AM
No, I'm talking about Haitink. I will give these a listen, Robert. Thanks.

John

If you ever consider looking at Jansons again try his 3 7 15.  I never really liked his 2 & 3 until I heard Jansons.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Robert on October 24, 2011, 02:20:03 PM
John

If you ever consider looking at Jansons again try his 3 7 15.  I never really liked his 2 & 3 until I heard Jansons.

Thanks Robert. Will give these a try.

AndanteCantabile

I have not listened to much Shostakovich, but recently heard a bit of the C minor quartet performed and liked it. Can anyone tell me what they think of the quartets in general and perhaps suggest some nice complete sets?

Brahmsian

Quote from: AndanteCantabile on November 07, 2011, 05:18:06 PM
I have not listened to much Shostakovich, but recently heard a bit of the C minor quartet performed and liked it. Can anyone tell me what they think of the quartets in general and perhaps suggest some nice complete sets?

Love Shostakovich's string quartets.  They are amazing works.  Every single one of them very unique from the other.

There are a lot of great sets that people will recommend, including:

Fitzwilliam SQ
Borodin SQ
Emerson SQ
Eder Quartet
Manderling SQ
Sorrel SQ
Rubio SQ

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but my favorite sets of what I have heard are the Fitzwilliam's and Eder Quartet.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 07, 2011, 05:23:31 PM
Love Shostakovich's string quartets.  They are amazing works.  Every single one of them very unique from the other.

I agree with this. Not a weak one in the bunch. Some of his best music, from #1 to #15.

I started with single issues by the Eder and Shostakovich Qts, and have heard some of the Emerson and Borodin cycles. I bought the Fitzwilliam cycle and have been happy with that. Very consistent set in terms of quality. But the other sets I've heard were good too in their own ways. Collectors are lucky with this music, many good choices.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

eyeresist

Quote from: Robert on October 24, 2011, 02:20:03 PM

From the Jansons box I recommend 1/15 and 9/10. The rest I found pretty blah, but these were very effective.

Karl Henning

I'm an unreconstructed table-pounder for the Tenth played by the Phila Orch under Jansons's baton.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

String arrangements were always difficult for me, I'm preferring full orchestra over any kind of chamber like music. But that may change... That being said, I'm really into the SQ8 now, listened a lot of times to it. Which one would you recommend me to try next?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on December 14, 2011, 07:59:29 AM
String arrangements were always difficult for me, I'm preferring full orchestra over any kind of chamber like music. But that may change... That being said, I'm really into the SQ8 now, listened a lot of times to it. Which one would you recommend me to try next?

Of the string quartets, you mean?  № 12 in Db.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

John Copeland

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2011, 09:46:30 AM
As does, Rostropovich. What a scorching performance with the LSO. He also did a good earlier one with National Symphony Orchestra on Teldec.

Shosty is a composer I never 'got'.  UNTIL NOW! Here is an extract from my journal last night...music notes have been written in my journal given the absence of GMG as I've been tussling with broadband provider problems for months...(now resolved)

"...Re Music:  I never got Shotakovich.  I got Bruckner alright, despite his symphonic massiveness, even some conductors find Bruckner heavy going, but I got him ok.  Shostakovich has always been a hard one for me, I could not sit with his difficult changing tempos and textures, something always felt jarring about his stuff.  Well, tonight I laid back and listened to his 8th Symphony in full, and got it straight away.  It was brilliant.  His 8th is a Masterpiece.  I switched on to it somewhat easier than ever, and this means more Shosty for the future!  (Version was from the Rostropovich set)..."

Mirror Image

Quote from: John of Clydebank on December 24, 2011, 05:05:02 AM
Shosty is a composer I never 'got'.  UNTIL NOW! Here is an extract from my journal last night...music notes have been written in my journal given the absence of GMG as I've been tussling with broadband provider problems for months...(now resolved)

"...Re Music:  I never got Shotakovich.  I got Bruckner alright, despite his symphonic massiveness, even some conductors find Bruckner heavy going, but I got him ok.  Shostakovich has always been a hard one for me, I could not sit with his difficult changing tempos and textures, something always felt jarring about his stuff.  Well, tonight I laid back and listened to his 8th Symphony in full, and got it straight away.  It was brilliant.  His 8th is a Masterpiece.  I switched on to it somewhat easier than ever, and this means more Shosty for the future!  (Version was from the Rostropovich set)..."

Excellent, John! Shostakovich's 8th is darkly themed work. It's one of those works that made me go "Huh?" when I first heard it. But I've come to enjoy with repeated listening. You can't go wrong with Rostropovich in Shostakovich whether he's conducting or performing the Cello Concertos, he was dedicated to this composer's vision.

John Copeland

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2011, 05:23:34 AM
You can't go wrong with Rostropovich in Shostakovich whether he's conducting or performing the Cello Concertos, he was dedicated to this composer's vision.

Yes.  I watched a documentary a few months ago about Rostropovich.  He was very close to Shosty, and Shosty likewise.  It would be hard for any other conductor to get as close to an interpretation as Shosty wanted than Rostropovich.  I am currently seeking Rostropovich doing the Bach Cello Concertos.  If I had known about the likes of Rostropovich, Du Pre, Starker, Cassals and the like when I was learning Cello at secondary school, I would not have been so quick to 'lose' the damn Cello in favour of football...pah!   :-[

kishnevi

Quote from: John of Clydebank on December 24, 2011, 07:15:16 AM
Yes.  I watched a documentary a few months ago about Rostropovich.  He was very close to Shosty, and Shosty likewise.  It would be hard for any other conductor to get as close to an interpretation as Shosty wanted than Rostropovich.  I am currently seeking Rostropovich doing the Bach Cello Concertos.  If I had known about the likes of Rostropovich, Du Pre, Starker, Cassals and the like when I was learning Cello at secondary school, I would not have been so quick to 'lose' the damn Cello in favour of football...pah!   :-[

You mean the Bach Cello Suites, don't you?  The Bach Cello Concertos are, to put it mildly, extremely hard to locate :)  (And Rostropovich's take on the Suites seems to be one of the less favored ones here at GMG.)

Almost the first recordings of Shostakovich I heard were Rostropovich conducting Symphonies 8 and 11 on LSO Live, and they remain my favorite recordings of those symphonies.

John Copeland

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 24, 2011, 12:39:27 PM
You mean the Bach Cello Suites, don't you?  The Bach Cello Concertos are, to put it mildly, extremely hard to locate :)  (And Rostropovich's take on the Suites seems to be one of the less favored ones here at GMG.)

Almost the first recordings of Shostakovich I heard were Rostropovich conducting Symphonies 8 and 11 on LSO Live, and they remain my favorite recordings of those symphonies.

Yes Jeffrey, I did mean the Suites.  I don't even know if Bach wrote Cello Concertos.   :-[

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: John of Clydebank on December 24, 2011, 07:15:16 AMYes.  I watched a documentary a few months ago about Rostropovich.  He was very close to Shosty, and Shosty likewise.  It would be hard for any other conductor to get as close to an interpretation as Shosty wanted than Rostropovich.
Kurt Sanderling? I prefer his recordings with Berlin Symphony Orchestra almost entirely.

Karl Henning

Quote from: John of Clydebank on December 24, 2011, 05:05:02 AM

Johnny-lad, good to see you!  And good to see you've come round with Dmitri Dmitriyevich : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA