Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on December 25, 2011, 03:45:51 AM
Kurt Sanderling? I prefer his recordings with Berlin Symphony Orchestra almost entirely.

Yeah, even though the orchestra Sanderling is conducting is far from a first-rate ensemble, it's Sanderling who saves the day and inspires them to play as well as they can.

Mirror Image

I wonder how John is getting on now with Shostakovich. Any new developments, John?

mahler10th

:D

The latest development is a listening to Shosty 5 again from the Rostropovich set.  It seems something went wrong all those years of avoiding Shosty.  He was right when I studied him but wrong when I heard him.  Now, all of a sudden, his music makes perfect sense.  Couple of nights ago, the moody 5th was right on the money.  It is fair to say that Shosty is now my friend, and I'll go a long way with him this year.  I am concerned about the Babi Yar though.  I will have to find out what Babi Yar is all about.

Karl Henning

Interesting, Johnnie! Babi Yar was an early hit with me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 05, 2012, 03:45:26 AM
:D

The latest development is a listening to Shosty 5 again from the Rostropovich set.  It seems something went wrong all those years of avoiding Shosty.  He was right when I studied him but wrong when I heard him.  Now, all of a sudden, his music makes perfect sense.  Couple of nights ago, the moody 5th was right on the money.  It is fair to say that Shosty is now my friend, and I'll go a long way with him this year.  I am concerned about the Babi Yar though.  I will have to find out what Babi Yar is all about.

Oh, how I love the 5th. A wonderful symphony through and through. The Rostropovich performance is great. I own both of his recordings. The one with the LSO is especially good.

Babi Yar is an interesting symphony. If I recall, the mood is quite grim in this work, but I remember liking it. I think Shostakovich is a hard composer to get a grasp of because many times what is on the surface of the music is not always what the music is trying to express. But this is a quality I've come to admire about his music. It's mystery in other words.

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2012, 06:35:57 PM
Oh, how I love the 5th. A wonderful symphony through and through. The Rostropovich performance is great. I own both of his recordings. The one with the LSO is especially good.

Both of the three? ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 05, 2012, 08:10:32 PM
Both of the three? ;)

Whoops..you're so right, Opus. I forgot he did one on DG with the National Symphony Orchestra. I don't own this one. Is it good?

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2012, 08:14:50 PM
Whoops..you're so right, Opus. I forgot he did one on DG with the National Symphony Orchestra. I don't own this one. Is it good?

Can't say, since I haven't heard the other two.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 05, 2012, 08:22:42 PM
Can't say, since I haven't heard the other two.

Hmmm....looks like I won't be getting this performance any time soon as it's out-of-print and quite expensive.

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2012, 08:25:30 PM
Hmmm....looks like I won't be getting this performance any time soon as it's out-of-print and quite expensive.

I have it as a part of the 8-CD set shown below:

[asin]B000M05VP2[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 05, 2012, 08:29:34 PM
I have it as a part of the 8-CD set shown below:

[asin]B000M05VP2[/asin]

Oh, I see. Well, I'm not going to buy a box set for one performance. :)

Mirror Image

Has anyone heard/own this 3-CD set from Serebrier on Warner:

[asin]B002G1TSBS[/asin]

Mirror Image

Re: John's Shostakovian Progression

John, have you heard Shosty's Symphony No. 8 yet? This is one hell of a symphony. I'm also curious as to which recordings you own or do you own a symphony cycle?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 27, 2010, 09:45:27 AM

You should definitely listen to it as soon as possible, Karl. Have you heard this work before? The only other recording of this ballet in its complete form is on Chandos with Rozhdestvensky.

Edit: There's another recording of it, in complete form, on the Russian Disc label with Yuri Simonov conducting the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra. So, there are only three recordings of this ballet in it's complete form.

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2012, 06:17:21 PM
Re: John's Shostakovian Progression

John, have you heard Shosty's Symphony No. 8 yet? This is one hell of a symphony. I'm also curious as to which recordings you own or do you own a symphony cycle?

You should change your name to psychoticaboutshostakovich.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 07, 2012, 09:52:16 PM
You should change your name to psychoticaboutshostakovich.

:P

Mirror Image

Anyone else here own Dmitrij Kitajenko's Shostakovich cycle? I'm finding these interpretations really good and the cycle so far has been incredibly consistent (like Haitink's for example).

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2012, 07:10:05 AM
:P

You certainly couldn't be shyaboutshostakovich - and nor could I.

May I recommend kookooforkoechlin?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 08, 2012, 09:15:21 AM

Ha! Kookooforkoechlin, I like it! That should be a bumper sticker. :D

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on January 08, 2012, 09:15:21 AM

bonkersaboutbartók.
Regards,
Navneeth