Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I know I asked this before but I still haven't received a response, but what do you Shostakovich fans think of his ballets: The Golden Age, The Bolt, and The Limpid Stream. I haven't heard The Limpid Stream, but The Bolt and The Golden Age are fantastic ballets full of such a diverse range of musical styles and both ballets contain some gorgeous lyrical slow sections.

For The Golden Age, there are three recordings of the complete ballet: Rozhdestvensky/Chandos, Simonov/Russian Disc, and Serebrier/Naxos. The Serebrier recording edges out Rozhdestvensky, but I have not heard Simonov's performance. For The Bolt, the only complete recording that I know of is Rozhdestvensky's. Hopefully, Serebrier will record this one too. He'd do really well with it.

Karl Henning

The one I am hankerin' for is «Новый Вавилон».
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 11, 2012, 04:45:23 AM
The one I am hankerin' for is «Новый Вавилон».

New Babylon? Wasn't there a new release on Naxos of the complete film score? That might be interesting...

jlaurson

D. Shostakovich / R. Schhedrin
Piano Concertos no.1 & 2 / no.5
D.Matsuev / V.Gergiev / Mariinsky Orchestra
Mariinsky Live SACD

(Interestingly the second time Matsuev has recorded Schhedrin's 5th PC; the last time on Sony with Mariss Jansons (oop).)

Very good recording. Can't say I'm a Matsuev fan, nor particularly often fond of Gergiev -- but this is terrific. Better, me thinks (without direct comparison), than the Helmchen-Jurowski-LPO release I praised as being among the best of 2011. http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/12/best-recordings-of-2011-1-10.html

Mirror Image

Bought these Shostakovich recordings the other day:

I'm real excited to hear these Wigglesworth recordings as I've heard good things about them. Anyone familar with them? Also, the film music is of particular interest to me as well.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2012, 01:41:11 PM

I'm real excited to hear these Wigglesworth recordings as I've heard good things about them. Anyone familar with them? Also, the film music is of particular interest to me as well.

I have Wiggle-8, 9, 12.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/01/shostakovichs-eighth-symphony.html
Hum-ho...

Mirror Image

Quote from: jlaurson on January 16, 2012, 02:26:09 PM
I have Wiggle-8, 9, 12.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/01/shostakovichs-eighth-symphony.html
Hum-ho...

I'm excited about the Wigglesworth and get a British slant on Shostakovich. I've never been too impressed with Gergiev's Shostakovich recordings, but have you heard his newer recordings on the Mariinsky label?

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2012, 02:34:15 PM
I'm excited about the Wigglesworth and get a British slant on Shostakovich. I've never been too impressed with Gergiev's Shostakovich recordings, but have you heard his newer recordings on the Mariinsky label?

Yes. Was underwhelmed by the "War Symphonies" on Philips, for the most part... except for the 5/9 coupling. Not particularly impressed by the new ones, either, but not found them particularly lacking, either. Ho-humm again.
:-) Nor his DSCH-live so far. http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/11/gergievs-munich-shostakovich-symphonies.html
But then Gergiev is unpredictable... and just when you expect a dud, he comes up with a real hit.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jlaurson on January 16, 2012, 02:38:18 PMBut then Gergiev is unpredictable... and just when you expect a dud, he comes up with a real hit.

Which is why I never paid much attention to him --- unpredictable. I look for consistency in conducting.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

[asin]B000I8OIHK[/asin]

I still have my eye on the Kondrashin and Caetani.

I now have the following cycles: Kitajenko, Haitink, Barshai, Jansons, Rostropovich, Ashkenazy, and now M. Shostakovich

Missing: Kondrashin, Rozhdestvensky, Caetani

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but what are your top 10 favorite works by Shosty?

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2012, 10:33:59 AM
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but what are your top 10 favorite works by Shosty?
In no particular order*:

1. Symphony #10
2. Violin Concerto #1
3. Lady Macbeth of the Mstensk District
4. Cello Concerto #1
5.  String Quartert #13
6. Execution of Stepin Razin
7. Piano Trio #2 in E Minor
8. Suite on Words of Michelangelo
9. Symphony #7
10. Violin Concerto #2

*Subject to Change

Mirror Image

Quote from: paulrbass on January 17, 2012, 10:54:36 AM
In no particular order*:

1. Symphony #10
2. Violin Concerto #1
3. Lady Macbeth of the Mstensk District
4. Cello Concerto #1
5.  String Quartert #13
6. Execution of Stepin Razin
7. Piano Trio #2 in E Minor
8. Suite on Words of Michelangelo
9. Symphony #7
10. Violin Concerto #2

*Subject to Change

I have yet to listen to The Execution of Stepin Razin. I hope to change this very soon. Lady Macbeth is great. Haven't listened to Piano Trio No. 2 yet, but of Shosty's chamber works I really like his Piano Quintet. I like all of the concerti but really need to revisit the ones for cello as it's been too long since I listened to them. Symphony No. 7 is an interesting choice. I like the work but it hasn't completely won me over yet. What is it about this symphony that you enjoy?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2012, 10:33:59 AM

1. Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
2. Symphony #4
3. Symphony #9
4. Symphony #15
5. String Quartet #7
6. String Quartet #15
7: Cello Concerto #2
8. Violin Concerto #1
9. Viola Sonata op.147
10. 24 Preludes and Fugues

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2012, 11:10:05 AM
I have yet to listen to The Execution of Stepin Razin. I hope to change this very soon. Lady Macbeth is great. Haven't listening to Piano Trio No. 2 yet, but of Shosty's chamber works I really like his Piano Quintet. I like all of the concerti but really need to revisit the ones for cello as it's been too long since I listened to them. Symphony No. 7 is an interesting choice. I like the work but it hasn't completely won me over yet. What is it about this symphony that you enjoy?
Some of my choices are changeable with other works, and sometimes are captive to what I am listening to....

But the 7th, I find that the 3rd movement is one of the most beautiful movements in his music, especially with the form, sort of ABA, where the first section is very calm, beautiful,  where the 2nd section is hectic. 

I may be alone on this, but I love the first movement, specifically the march theme, and when it gets out of that theme.  I just think there's something magical about that part, even though it is Bolero-like (Though done much better than Bolero, IMO), as it gets to the point of tension with being a bit of annoyance, there's just something I really like about that section.

And the transition between the third and fourth movements......

Mirror Image

Quote from: paulrbass on January 17, 2012, 11:32:57 AM
Some of my choices are changeable with other works, and sometimes are captive to what I am listening to....

But the 7th, I find that the 3rd movement is one of the most beautiful movements in his music, especially with the form, sort of ABA, where the first section is very calm, beautiful,  where the 2nd section is hectic. 

I may be alone on this, but I love the first movement, specifically the march theme, and when it gets out of that theme.  I just think there's something magical about that part, even though it is Bolero-like (Though done much better than Bolero, IMO), as it gets to the point of tension with being a bit of annoyance, there's just something I really like about that section.

And the transition between the third and fourth movements......

Yeah, I like third movement is quite beautiful I agree. The first movement is very cool and, yes, it outdoes Bolero, which I never have liked. Good to read your comments. I always found the first movement of the 6th especially moving, especially towards the end. Quite a contrast to the 5th, which is what Shosty wanted.

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2012, 11:42:51 AM
Yeah, I like third movement is quite beautiful I agree. The first movement is very cool and, yes, it outdoes Bolero, which I never have liked. Good to read your comments. I always found the first movement of the 6th especially moving, especially towards the end. Quite a contrast to the 5th, which is what Shosty wanted.
On the Bernstein DVD of the 6th, he describes the first movement as a sort of sequel to Tchaik 6.  Interesting comparison there.

Mirror Image

Quote from: paulrbass on January 17, 2012, 11:45:31 AM
On the Bernstein DVD of the 6th, he describes the first movement as a sort of sequel to Tchaik 6.  Interesting comparison there.

Hmmm...I need that DVD! (going to buy immediately)

jlaurson

Much same as Sarge's; in no order

Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
Symphony #4
Symphony #9
Symphony #15
String Quartet #1
String Quartet #3
String Quartet #11
24 Preludes and Fugues
Piano Trio #2
Piano Concerto No.2
[Something obvious I'm probably overlooking right now.]

Quote from: paulrbass on January 17, 2012, 11:45:31 AM

Not that that even helped a lick in my 'getting' the Sixth... :-)

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"