Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2012, 07:38:27 AM

Bought this set for $57 + shipping. A far cry from the $100+ price tag! Can't wait to hear these legendary performances!

And in terrible sound! ;)

I have the Venezia issue, which I think is now OOP.

not edward

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2012, 03:49:18 PM
It's a Melodiya recording: can't expect anything else. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2012, 03:49:18 PM

I have the Venezia issue, which I think is now OOP.

Well it's my ninth Shostakovich symphony cycle. Kondrashin and Rozhdestvensky were the ones I was missing. Now, I'm only missing one. 8)

not edward

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2012, 06:34:33 PM
Well it's my ninth Shostakovich symphony cycle. Kondrashin and Rozhdestvensky were the ones I was missing. Now, I'm only missing one. 8)
With those two, I'd say you might have saved (performance-wise; most definitely not sonically) the best for last.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

Quote from: edward on February 16, 2012, 06:46:12 PM
With those two, I'd say you might have saved (performance-wise; most definitely not sonically) the best for last.

:D Ha! I've been wanting the Kondrashin for a long time, but it I never saw it for a decent price. The Rozhdestvensky is another one that's just really expensive. Hopefully, I'll see it for a good price at some point. I would like to pickup Rozhdestvensky's Prokofiev symphony cycle at some point too since I already own most of his Prokofiev ballet recordings.

eyeresist

Quote from: edward on February 16, 2012, 06:46:12 PM

I'm afraid I found Rozhdestvensky's cycle strangely underwhelming for the most part. Not as hardbitten as Kondrashin, that's for sure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2012, 07:16:22 PM
I'm afraid I found Rozhdestvensky's cycle strangely underwhelming for the most part. Not as hardbitten as Kondrashin, that's for sure.

What cycles do you own, eyeresist?

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2012, 07:22:42 PM
What cycles do you own, eyeresist?

Kondrashin
Mravinsky (incomplete)
Jansons
Barshai
Rozhdestvensky
Slovak (it was cheap!)

- in order of preference. I think that's all of them. I always give preference to the Russians.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2012, 08:00:22 PM
Kondrashin
Mravinsky (incomplete)
Jansons
Barshai
Rozhdestvensky
Slovak (it was cheap!)

- in order of preference. I think that's all of them. I always give preference to the Russians.

I'm surprised you don't own Haitink's set. I think he's an excellent Shostakovich conductor. Much better than I thought he was going to be. Kitajenko and Caetani are also quite good. My preference for these two (Kitajenko/Caetani) goes to Caetani who I think plays with more gusto and passion. I think Kitajenko did an excellent job with the 2nd, 8th, 11th, and 14th though. Caetani does a remarkable job with the 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 15th. No cycle is perfect though. They all have flaws, but I'm really impressed with Caetani both performance-wise and audio quality. Kitajenko's cycle sounds remarkably good too, but I think Caetani's Italian forces have a more remarkable string section with a darker tone.

eyeresist

I know Haitink has a good reputation in this music, but based on my limited experience he is not for me. I have a disc of him in the 5th and 9th - great playing and sound, but I felt the 5th lacked drive. I just want something more manic, more hysterical, more tasteless in these symphonies (the other works are a separate case). Is this a limited view? Maybe....

I will acquire further cycles when the opportunity presents.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2012, 08:19:44 PM
I know Haitink has a good reputation in this music, but based on my limited experience he is not for me. I have a disc of him in the 5th and 9th - great playing and sound, but I felt the 5th lacked drive. I just want something more manic, more hysterical, more tasteless in these symphonies (the other works are a separate case). Is this a limited view? Maybe....

I will acquire further cycles when the opportunity presents.

Haitink's 8th and 11th are some of the best around IMHO. I also really dig his 2nd and 6th. I agree that his 5th isn't that great, especially after hearing Bernstein's 1979 performance with the New York Philharmonic. Haitink sounds uninspired by comparison. Yes, I think just hearing Haitink's 5th and 9th gives you a limited view of his overall cycle especially considering those are two of the weakest performances of the whole cycle.

I listened to some of Jansons's cycle last week and it almost made me want to throw the box set through the window! I really hate that cycle. I got it for free so I can't complain, but still I mean talk about uninspired....

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2012, 08:23:44 PMI listened to some of Jansons's cycle last week and it almost made me want to throw the box set through the window! I really hate that cycle. I got it for free so I can't complain, but still I mean talk about uninspired....

Oh, feel free to complain, it's what we're here for :D

Yes, I think this set was discussed earlier, which I guess convinced you to get it. As I said then, I thought 1, 9, 10 and 15 were good, but the rest insipid.  Maybe give the numbers I mentioned another go some time (unless they were the ones you especially hated).

Karl Henning

Oh not the Eighth! Jansons' Eighth with Pittsburgh is mighty fine
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2012, 08:23:44 PM
Haitink's 8th and 11th are some of the best around IMHO. I also really dig his 2nd and 6th. I agree that his 5th isn't that great, especially after hearing Bernstein's 1979 performance with the New York Philharmonic. Haitink sounds uninspired by comparison. Yes, I think just hearing Haitink's 5th and 9th gives you a limited view of his overall cycle especially considering those are two of the weakest performances of the whole cycle.

I listened to some of Jansons's cycle last week and it almost made me want to throw the box set through the window! I really hate that cycle. I got it for free so I can't complain, but still I mean talk about uninspired....

Wait! Ill be in Atlanta in 2 weeks, then you can throw it out of the window!!! I'll catch it!!  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on February 16, 2012, 11:09:48 PM
It's a Melodiya recording: can't expect anything else. ;)

It's a fair cop.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: eyeresist on Today at 01:19:44 AM
. . . I just want something more manic, more hysterical, more tasteless in these symphonies . . . .

It was your word, mate . . . just wanted to observe that (a) I don't believe that Shostakovich is at all well served with a tasteless interpretational bent, and (b) "more manic, more hysterical, more tasteless" is just exactly what he was not trying to achieve with the Fifth, as it is just exactly what would have got him packed onto a cattle car headed east into Siberia.

If you've not noted afore, I am profoundly out of sympathy with any demand for lurid Shostakovich interpretation. Strikes me as little better than voyeurism.  YMMV . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2012, 10:56:36 PM
Oh, feel free to complain, it's what we're here for :D

Yes, I think this set was discussed earlier, which I guess convinced you to get it. As I said then, I thought 1, 9, 10 and 15 were good, but the rest insipid.  Maybe give the numbers I mentioned another go some time (unless they were the ones you especially hated).

I've owned the Jansons set for a couple of years, so any discussion we've had about it was prior to me purchasing it. Yeah, I remember going to through the whole cycle and not being taken by it. I listened to the 5th and 6th last week and it kind of put me in a bad mood because I was just disappointed. But I'll listen to the 8th, which Karl recommends, and I'll listen to the 10th, maybe these performances will shake off some of that negative residue I've had for many years regarding this set.

Karl Henning

Yes, that Tenth with the Phila Orchestra is one of my favorite recordings of the piece, John.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 17, 2012, 04:05:48 AM

Wait! Ill be in Atlanta in 2 weeks, then you can throw it out of the window!!! I'll catch it!!  ;D

:P

The only problem is I don't live in Atlanta, Greg. I just use Atlanta as a point of reference when somebody from out of state or in another country asks me where I'm from. I'm actually 45 miles NE of Atlanta.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2012, 07:08:18 AM
Yes, that Tenth with the Phila Orchestra is one of my favorite recordings of the piece, John.

I like the Philadelphia Orchestra a lot. I'll give this one a fresh listen in due time. Thanks my friend.