Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2012, 07:09:28 AM
:P

The only problem is I don't live in Atlanta, Greg. I just use Atlanta as a point of reference when somebody from out of state or in another country asks me where I'm from. I'm actually 45 miles NE of Atlanta.

Then throw it far!!  ;D

Karl Henning

. . . a long, long way to run . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2012, 07:09:28 AM

The only problem is I don't live in Atlanta, Greg. I just use Atlanta as a point of reference when somebody from out of state or in another country asks me where I'm from. I'm actually 45 miles NE of Atlanta.

And same here, I'll be in Tyrone, GA which is about 25 miles south of ATL.

Karl Henning

Well, some day you'll meet in the middle and hear some live Henningmusick.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2012, 09:01:33 AM
Well, some day you'll meet in the middle and hear some live Henningmusick.

I really hope this happens, Karl. I enjoy nothing more than "live" performances and would be thrilled to see Henningmusick.

Just don't be disappointed when you realize I'm really not a sock monkey  :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 17, 2012, 08:54:37 AM

And same here, I'll be in Tyrone, GA which is about 25 miles south of ATL.

I've never been to Tyrone, GA sad to say, so I'm not sure what I'm missing or not missing. :)

Karl, if you're ever down in GA let me know, we'll have to arrange some time to hang out with each other. Do you like aquariums? Atlanta has the Georgia Aquarium which is home to some exotic and not-so-exotic animals. Oh and Greg can come too! ;) :D

Karl Henning

I like aquaria, sounds like fun even if Greg is not really a sock monkey . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2012, 11:07:39 AM
I like aquaria, sounds like fun even if Greg is not really a sock monkey . . . .

Mirror Image

Bought this (Gergiev, 5 CD set) for $29 + shipping through Arkivmusic (first time using their site):

I'm not a big Gergiev fan, as everybody knows, but I couldn't pass on this great offer.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2012, 08:45:50 PM
Bought this (Gergiev, 5 CD set) for $29 + shipping through Arkivmusic (first time using their site):

I'm not a big Gergiev fan, as everybody knows, but I couldn't pass on this great offer.

I have that series in the form of the original issues (as well as the Maryiinsky DSCH recordings), and the Fourth (which was both the first of the series I purchased and the first recording of the Fourth I ever heard) remains a particular favorite of mine.  I would in fact say it's the best performance in this set (his recording of the 11th is also good, but that's in the Maryiinsky series).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 18, 2012, 05:39:02 PM
I have that series in the form of the original issues (as well as the Maryiinsky DSCH recordings), and the Fourth (which was both the first of the series I purchased and the first recording of the Fourth I ever heard) remains a particular favorite of mine.  I would in fact say it's the best performance in this set (his recording of the 11th is also good, but that's in the Maryiinsky series).

This is good to hear, Jeffrey. I've heard many negative things about Gergiev's Mariinsky Shostakovich recordings. I'm typically not a fan of Gergiev's approach to music these days, but I have been finding myself enjoying his earlier recordings more and more. I think his approach was broader in his earlier days. I look forward to hearing this set.

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 07:11:40 PM
This is good to hear, Jeffrey. I've heard many negative things about Gergiev's Mariinsky Shostakovich recordings. I'm typically not a fan of Gergiev's approach to music these days, but I have been finding myself enjoying his earlier recordings more and more. I think his approach was broader in his earlier days. I look forward to hearing this set.
I do like Gergiev's recording of The Nose though.

I also generally prefer him in operatic music anyways. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: paulrbass on February 18, 2012, 07:21:19 PM
I do like Gergiev's recording of The Nose though.

I also generally prefer him in operatic music anyways.

I should have been more specific. Yes, his recording of The Nose was very good.

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 07:22:56 PM
I should have been more specific. Yes, his recording of The Nose was very good.
I feel his operatic attempts are much stronger than his symphonic side in general though, in my opinion of course

Mirror Image

Quote from: paulrbass on February 18, 2012, 07:27:52 PM
I feel his operatic attempts are much stronger than his symphonic side in general though, in my opinion of course

I'm finding his later symphonic recordings to be incredibly unfocused and just not driven enough. I made the comment to one GMG member, I forget whom, that he just seems to be so busy these days that I think he's missing out on the big picture, which is to try and be consistently good. His performances lately just have been hit and miss, mostly all misses IMHO.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 07:11:40 PM

just to clarify: while I like the Mariinsky recordings (The Nose is in transit to me now),  I still prefer the Rostropovich/LSO Live as the best I've heard for the 11th.  It's the performances of 2 and 3 that I think may qualify as the best performances of those works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 19, 2012, 06:15:25 AM
just to clarify: while I like the Mariinsky recordings (The Nose is in transit to me now),  I still prefer the Rostropovich/LSO Live as the best I've heard for the 11th.  It's the performances of 2 and 3 that I think may qualify as the best performances of those works.

The 2nd is a very experimental work and the best recording I've heard of it is Haitink's believe it or not. Caetani is also very good in this symphony. I still have yet to hear any of Maxim Shostakovich's cycle which I bought months ago. :-[

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2012, 08:23:44 PMHaitink's 8th and 11th are some of the best around IMHO. I also really dig his 2nd and 6th. I agree that his 5th isn't that great, especially after hearing Bernstein's 1979 performance with the New York Philharmonic. Haitink sounds uninspired by comparison. Yes, I think just hearing Haitink's 5th and 9th gives you a limited view of his overall cycle especially considering those are two of the weakest performances of the whole cycle.

I checked the Third Ear Guide over the weekend, and the reviewer seems to agree with this opinion, so I have added Haitink to the (long, long) list.

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2012, 04:23:13 AMjust wanted to observe that (a) I don't believe that Shostakovich is at all well served with a tasteless interpretational bent, and (b) "more manic, more hysterical, more tasteless" is just exactly what he was not trying to achieve with the Fifth, as it is just exactly what would have got him packed onto a cattle car headed east into Siberia.

If you've not noted afore, I am profoundly out of sympathy with any demand for lurid Shostakovich interpretation. Strikes me as little better than voyeurism.  YMMV . . . .

*mumble mumble* No wonder you hate Mahler!

eyeresist

Mravinsky is sometimes accused of political cowardice or even personal betrayal for the fact that he didn't conduct the premiere of Shostakovich's 13th symphony. As is usual in these cases, there is no evidence to back these accusations. Nonetheless, I've been wondering over the years why Mravinsky didn't conduct the work.

I had theorised that Mrav had a personal aversion to choral work: the single choral work in his discography is Shosty's Song of the Forest, which Mrav premiered and recorded in 1949.

More recently I became curious about the chronology of the premiers and noticed that while Mrav conducted the first 12th in October 1961, the belated first performance of the 4th was given in December of that same year, not by Mrav but by Kondrashin. Since Mrav had conducted all but two premiers (7 and 11) since and including the 5th, is it possible he was angry at being overlooked for this important event, and refused the 13th for this reason?

TheGSMoeller

I posted this in "Pictures I Like" thread also, just in case some of you dont check that, I thought I would post it here also for you to enjoy.  :)
Was doing FaceTime with my brother, he was showing some of the score to DSCH's opera Moskva, Cheremushki, Op. 105, if you notice the second pic describes the t-bones to "make a horrible noise".