Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on February 26, 2012, 06:07:59 PMSure. They do unload outdated editions at a pittance. (Games Publishers Play)

What exactly is this unmissable added value in the 2nd edition?

Karl Henning

Sure, ask while I'm a 6-hr flight from home ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on February 26, 2012, 07:10:35 PM
Sure, ask while I'm a 6-hr flight from home ; )

Well, you've nothing else to occupy your mind, right? :D

Apart, of course, from "don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash ...."

Which is why I don't fly.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: karlhenning on February 26, 2012, 05:40:17 PMSeparately: no interest in the review of a live performance of the Fifth? That's all right, of course ... but surprises me a touch.[/font]
I'll read it, but I'm also jealous - except the First I've never heard/seen a Shostakovich Symphony performed live. I hopefully will see and listen to #4,5,7,8,9,10,11,15... one day.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Tapio Kimitriyevich Shostakovich on March 14, 2012, 09:56:46 AM
I'll read it, but I'm also jealous - except the First I've never heard/seen a Shostakovich Symphony performed live. I hopefully will see and listen to #4,5,7,8,9,10,11,15... one day.

I attended the San Antonio Symphony performing DSCH 15th a few years ago, quite an experience. Other than that I've seen the 5th and 10th both twice. But I can imagine any of his symphonies sounding good live.

Karl Henning

Mmm, to hear the Fifteenth live!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Quote from: Tapio Kimitriyevich Shostakovich on March 14, 2012, 09:56:46 AMI hopefully will see and listen to #4,5,7,8,9,10,11,15... one day.
YES YES YES!!! Symphony #5 pretty close to where I live in MAY! OMFG! I WILL BE THERE!!! Plus Tchaikovsky #4 - I love the Andantino so much.[1] EXCELLENT! http://www.duisburger-philharmoniker.de/Konzerte/triumph-des-lebens/
It's always difficult for me to find concerts of specific composers, I don't know of any german web site who has information and the possibility to search for all the concert action that's taking place in germany.
[1] Just having the idea to play it on the clarinet - it's so beautiful.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Tapio Kimitriyevich Shostakovich on March 14, 2012, 10:46:47 AM
YES YES YES!!! Symphony #5 pretty close to where I live in MAY! OMFG! I WILL BE THERE!!! Plus Tchaikovsky #4 - I love the Andantino so much.[1] EXCELLENT! http://www.duisburger-philharmoniker.de/Konzerte/triumph-des-lebens/
It's always difficult for me to find concerts of specific composers, I don't know of any german web site who has information and the possibility to search for all the concert action that's taking place in germany.
[1] Just having the idea to play it on the clarinet - it's so beautiful.

Awesome!!!  ;D

eyeresist

Can anyone tell me what the timings are for the Borodins in the middle movement of the string quartet No. 5? I was just listening to my new Shostakovich Quartet recording, and their take on this andante really did not seem slow enough (8:39). Thanks for any help.

Quote from: eyeresist on March 14, 2012, 09:16:47 PMCan anyone tell me what the timings are for the Borodins in the middle movement of the string quartet No. 5? I was just listening to my new Shostakovich Quartet recording, and their take on this andante really did not seem slow enough (8:39). Thanks for any help.
- 8:11 in the Chandos cycle
- 9:06  in the Melodiya cycle

eyeresist

Quote from: Tapio Kimitriyevich Shostakovich on March 14, 2012, 10:55:51 PM- 8:11 in the Chandos cycle
- 9:06  in the Melodiya cycle

Excellent! Thank you!  I guess the Melodiya cycle is the one to get (that's the complete one, right?). I think I may end up having to buy multiple sets of these works :o   Outside of the big names, I am considering Razumowsky (Rasumovsky - the spelling varies), Rubio, Brodsky (it can't be that bad, can it?) and the Alexander Quartet's "Fragments" series.

EDIT: According to a user review on B&N, "the Brodsky Quartet is one of only two ensembles - the other being the Rubio Quartet - that takes more than 10 minutes to play the slow (middle) movement" of the 5th quartet.

Mirror Image

I've really been enjoying Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk this afternoon. Really an evocative opera and the music is just brilliant.

eyeresist

Now here's a question: Has anyone heard the Sorrel Quartet's set?  They seem to match my desired movement timings the best so far.

EDIT:

So far, for the quartets, I'm looking at:

Borodin II
Fitzwilliam
Sorrel (though apparently they suffer from "the Chandos sound" *sob*)
Brodsky ('cause it's cheap)

I'd also like to check out the Alexander and Pacifica, but Alexander is relatively expensive (near $80 the set) and Pacifica is incomplete.

There's a lot of commentary online regarding the Borodin and Fitzwilliam sets. I'd like to hear from anyone who's heard the others I've listed :)

My notes on desired timings for the 8th quartet:
    I should be over 4.50
    II under 2.49
    III over 4.15
    IV over 5.30
    V over 3.47

eyeresist

I have listened to the Shostakovich Quartet's set a couple of times now. (Unfortunately it is not in chronological order.) I really like the slow movements of the late quartets, including the 15th. However, although this may be one of the slowest recorded performances (I. 12:33, II. 5:28, III. 2:01, IV. 5:04, V. 4:55, VI. 6:45), it is not nearly slow enough! The tempos seem to me to rarely drop below moderato, when they should all be adagio or adagio molto. I think that first movement should really last about 20 minutes.

Lisztianwagner

Shostakovich is one of my absolute favourite russian composers, I've loved his music since I listened to the 1st movement of Piano Concerto No.2 on Fantasia 2000. :)
His music is extremely powerful, passionate and thrilling, with sharp contrasts, but also rich of beauty and chromaticism; I think it can fully express that poetical tragedy of the russian spirit, with its great expressive strenght, wonderful harmony and the colourful orchestration, absolutely brilliant and moving.
Piano Concerto No.2 was my favourite Shostakovich's piece for much time, now his symphonies are my favourite works (especially No.5, No.7, No.9, No.10, No.11, No.12 and No.13); other Shostakovich's compositions I love include the Piano Concerto No.1, Violin and Cello Concertos, the String Quartets and 24 Preludes and Fugues.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 19, 2012, 06:56:19 AM
Shostakovich is one of my absolute favourite russian composers, I've loved his music since I listened to the 1st movement of Piano Concerto No.2 on Fantasia 2000. :)
His music is extremely powerful, passionate and thrilling, with sharp contrasts, but also rich of beauty and chromaticism; I think it can fully express that poetical tragedy of the russian spirit, with its great expressive strenght, wonderful harmony and the colourful orchestration, absolutely brilliant and moving.
Piano Concerto No.2 was my favourite Shostakovich's piece for much time, now his symphonies are my favourite works (especially No.5, No.7, No.9, No.10, No.11, No.12 and No.13); other Shostakovich's compositions I love include the Piano Concerto No.1, Violin and Cello Concertos, the String Quartets and 24 Preludes and Fugues.

Well said, Ilaria. :) I agree with everything you said. I think the more time a listener spends with Shostakovich, the more rewards the listener will receive because his music is just so personal and tragic. Have you heard The Golden Age yet?

Scion7

Dmitri figured large in a 400-level 55 pg college paper I wrote about the Soviet control of/artist sidestepping
music - along with Prokofiev, Khachaturian, etc.

Read Testiment about three times.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

eyeresist

Quote from: Scion7 on March 19, 2012, 07:36:47 PMRead Testiment about three times.
Testimony. A waste of time.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
Well said, Ilaria. :) I agree with everything you said. I think the more time a listener spends with Shostakovich, the more rewards the listener will receive because his music is just so personal and tragic. Have you heard The Golden Age yet?

Thanks, John :) I'm afraid not, I've heard just excerpts from the ballet; but I would really like to buy the complete work, it sounds so amazing! I saw both Serebrier and Rozhdestvensky recorded the ballet, but is there any other recording though?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 19, 2012, 06:56:19 AM

You certainly want to make the acquaintance of the e minor piano trio, Ilaria!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA