Mirror Image

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on December 29, 2012, 07:46:55 AM
[DSCH 7/Nelsons]
Thanks MI, appreciate your opinion.

Guys, is:
[asin]B0013816GU[/asin]
technically the same recording as original release:
[asin]B000001GB2[/asin]

I wanted to download as FLAC first, but well, EUR 20 for a digital download :( So I'm thinking about buying an available physical release.
EDIT: The first one is available as FLAC for ~EUR 10, which is alright for me.

Hopefully its not a crappy remaster with terrible dynamics compression or something like that, but exactly the same release as the old one.

I own the Grand Prix reissue of the this Bernstein Shostakovich 7th and it sounds great to my ears. An essential acquisition IHMO. The best 7th I've heard.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

I tried to buy the FLAC at DGG shop (they link to Universal Music download shop) and the result is, they do not want my money. I'll have to find other ways.

QuoteThere are items in your basket that are currently not available in your country. For more information on product availability and country restrictions, please visit our help section.

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/single?sort=newest_rec&PRODUCT_NR=4777587
->
FLAC files don't reach the German interwebbs.

Opus106

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on December 30, 2012, 04:11:19 AM
I tried to buy the FLAC at DGG shop (they link to Universal Music download shop) and the result is, they do not want my money. I'll have to find other ways.

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/single?sort=newest_rec&PRODUCT_NR=4777587
->
FLAC files don't reach the German interwebbs.

Rather, they don't reach interwebs anywhere outside of a tiny island north of France.

Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

To close out the year (and inspired by the ongoing String Quartet Gala) I've pulled the trigger at last on The Nose (Rozhdestvensky, Leningrad Phil & al. — also included is The Gamblers, which I think I may already have, though not sure that I've listened to it), The Song of the Forests (Misha Jurowski, the Cologne Radio Symphony & al. — disc also includes a suite from The Nose), vol. 2 of Olli Mustonen's interesting JS Bach/Op.87 interleaving.  Oh, and New Babylon, which I had already mentioned, I think.  Quite a serious effort at eradicating some lacunae.

I know John will wonder what's keeping me from The Bolt, and there will be some general dismay perhaps at how I'm neglecting some of the (many) film scores.  But I've longed, somehow, for New Babylon in a way which for whatever reason The Bolt has not attracted me; and with the wonderful Naxos issues of The Fall of Berlin, Girlfriends, and Alone (in addition to my already well-documented enthusiasm for the music for Hamlet and King Lear), I find myself quite sated w/r/t the film scores.

Just checking a list of works . . . very interesting that he worked on the (unfinished) opera The Gamblers in 1942.  Memory of the Ledi Makbet affair would have been quite green, and one wonders what hopes/plans he had for such an opera after Dostoyevsky.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2012, 07:03:57 AM
To close out the year (and inspired by the ongoing String Quartet Gala) I've pulled the trigger at last on The Nose (Rozhdestvensky, Leningrad Phil & al. — also included is The Gamblers, which I think I may already have, though not sure that I've listened to it), The Song of the Forests (Misha Jurowski, the Cologne Radio Symphony & al. — disc also includes a suite from The Nose), vol. 2 of Olli Mustonen's interesting JS Bach/Op.87 interleaving.  Oh, and New Babylon, which I had already mentioned, I think.  Quite a serious effort at eradicating some lacunae.

I know John will wonder what's keeping me from The Bolt, and there will be some general dismay perhaps at how I'm neglecting some of the (many) film scores.  But I've longed, somehow, for New Babylon in a way which for whatever reason The Bolt has not attracted me; and with the wonderful Naxos issues of The Fall of Berlin, Girlfriends, and Alone (in addition to my already well-documented enthusiasm for the music for Hamlet and King Lear), I find myself quite sated w/r/t the film scores.

Just checking a list of works . . . very interesting that he worked on the (unfinished) opera The Gamblers in 1942.  Memory of the Ledi Makbet affair would have been quite green, and one wonders what hopes/plans he had for such an opera after Dostoyevsky.

We're all attracted to different things, but let me say that I believe The Golden Age is a much more substantial work than The Bolt, although the latter contains plenty of good music. My only complaint is that Shostakovich didn't compose enough ballet music! I need to listen to New Babylon myself. I bought the Frank Strobel recording on Hanssler many months ago and have yet to take a crack at it. The Nose is a crazy work, but you will enjoy it I think. I own the Gergiev recording. I need to listen to it again as it's been quite awhile. Haven't heard The Gamblers yet, so you'll have to inform me on that one.

Karl Henning

The Nose is fabulous, indeed; I saw the first (thus far, only, of course) Boston production a couple of seasons ago. If the Melodiya sonics for this recording prove to be on the lower end of their scale, I shall have to snap up some more recent CD . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2012, 08:53:37 AM
The Nose is fabulous, indeed; I saw the first (thus far, only, of course) Boston production a couple of seasons ago. If the Melodiya sonics for this recording prove to be on the lower end of their scale, I shall have to snap up some more recent CD . . . .

Hi Karl, I have the DVD of The Nose (Moscow Chamber Opera Theatre/Rozhdestvensky), and enjoyed it, although not nearly as much as I enjoy The Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk (Westbroek/Jansons).  That is definitely one of the best opera DVDs I've ever watched!

The sound and video quality of The Nose production isn't exactly the best, but enjoyable nonetheless.  :)

Mirror Image

Very cool, Karl. I hope you enjoy the Rozhdestvensky.

kishnevi

I'd suggest the Gergiev, even if the Rozhdestvensky  is itself top notch.

I must say The Nose is possibly the only opera in which the cast listing is longer than the summary of the action. 

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2012, 07:03:57 AM
To close out the year (and inspired by the ongoing String Quartet Gala) I've pulled the trigger at last on The Nose (Rozhdestvensky, Leningrad Phil & al. — also included is The Gamblers, which I think I may already have, though not sure that I've listened to it) [....]

Turns out that The Gamblers which I've already got is the Bolshoi troupe led by Chistyakov, so at least the Rozhdestvensky recording won't be a duplicate : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

PaulR

Speaking of The Nose, I would love it if there comes a new DVD version of the opera in upcoming years....

Brian

Hey Karl, John, Ray and others, I got a reply from the Liverpool Philharmonic about the continuation of the Shostakovich symphonies with Vasily Petrenko.

"No definite dates but there are more in the pipeline."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 01, 2013, 08:23:00 AM
Hey Karl, John, Ray and others, I got a reply from the Liverpool Philharmonic about the continuation of the Shostakovich symphonies with Vasily Petrenko.

This is good to hear. Like Karl, I'm anxious to hear Petrenko give the 7th a go. Should be interesting.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on January 01, 2013, 08:23:00 AM

Excellent news, Brian.  Thank you for the update!  :)  I've really enjoyed pretty much all of the Petrenko/RLPO recordings, the only 'lukewarm' recording for me is the too slow 5th symphony.  However, I still enjoy it.

The others recordings for me, I think, are all fantastic, especially the 10th and 9th.

Karl Henning

Well done, Brian!

Separately . . . why do I suddenly have a hankerin' for The Bedbug? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 01, 2013, 08:54:41 AM
Excellent news, Brian.  Thank you for the update!  :)  I've really enjoyed pretty much all of the Petrenko/RLPO recordings, the only 'lukewarm' recording for me is the too slow 5th symphony.  However, I still enjoy it.

The others recordings for me, I think, are all fantastic, especially the 10th and 9th.

I definitely wasn't impressed with Petrenko's 5th, but I didn't like his performance of the 15th either especially after listening to Kondrashin's Dresden performance. :)

Karl Henning

It will not be a true first listen, but I am going to crank The Song of the Forests this afternoon!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 04, 2013, 08:22:02 AM
It will not be a true first listen, but I am going to crank The Song of the Forests this afternoon!

It's been quite some time since I've heard this work. I see you bought the Michail Jurowski. Please let me know your thoughts on this performances once you've heard it.