Blu-ray thoughts & recommendations

Started by Fëanor, June 11, 2010, 12:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

I still do most of my "serious" music listening on my stereo system, (see HERE), but I do believe that multi-channel virtues that stereo just can't deliver, e.g. a real sense of concert hall ablience and presence.  In my opinion, the principal advantage to the post-CD media, (SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray), is multi-channel, not higher resolution so much.

I used to occasionally listened to examples from my small, (<30 recordings), SACD collection in M/C on my old home theatre system, however I have sadly lost that capability with my new HT system, (see HERE).  As you might image, my main objective for the new system was to let the family can enjoy high rez movies on HDTV.  With my small SACD collection, SACD M/C playback didn't seem a high priority but I think I'm going to miss it.

What to do?  Well, there are very nice universal players that will handle SACD as well as Blu-ray  but most of these run more than twice the price of the Panasonic BRP I bought.  My small SACD collection doesn't seem to justify the difference.  Further, SACD is now dead except for classical music.  Overall Blu-ray has a much brigther future do the popular appeal of that medium for film and music video distribution.  But presently there are thousands of classical SACDs available verus mere dozens of classical Blu-ray discs.

On the other hand, opera selection already looks good on Blu-ray, and could drive quite a few classical lovers to the Blu-ray alternative.  Is it reasonable to hope that many more Blu-ray classical music releases will be forthcoming?  Will Blu-ray replace SACD for classical releases?  Your thoughts?

Of course I'd really appreciate your recommendation for good music and opera on Blu-ray.

Scarpia

Quote from: Feanor on June 11, 2010, 12:15:55 PM
I still do most of my "serious" music listening on my stereo system, (see HERE), but I do believe that multi-channel virtues that stereo just can't deliver, e.g. a real sense of concert hall ablience and presence.  In my opinion, the principal advantage to the post-CD media, (SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray), is multi-channel, not higher resolution so much.

I used to occasionally listened to examples from my small, (<30 recordings), SACD collection in M/C on my old home theatre system, however I have sadly lost that capability with my new HT system, (see HERE).  As you might image, my main objective for the new system was to let the family can enjoy high rez movies on HDTV.  With my small SACD collection, SACD M/C playback didn't seem a high priority but I think I'm going to miss it.

What to do?  Well, there are very nice universal players that will handle SACD as well as Blu-ray  but most of these run more than twice the price of the Panasonic BRP I bought.  My small SACD collection doesn't seem to justify the difference.  Further, SACD is now dead except for classical music.  Overall Blu-ray has a much brigther future do the popular appeal of that medium for film and music video distribution.  But presently there are thousands of classical SACDs available verus mere dozens of classical Blu-ray discs.

On the other hand, opera selection already looks good on Blu-ray, and could drive quite a few classical lovers to the Blu-ray alternative.  Is it reasonable to hope that many more Blu-ray classical music releases will be forthcoming?  Will Blu-ray replace SACD for classical releases?  Your thoughts?

Of course I'd really appreciate your recommendation for good music and opera on Blu-ray.

My first BD player was a bare bones model that I got for only $100 or so.  But I think my second one should be this, which can do SACD and DVD-A as well as  blue Ray, for around $290

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/

oppo also makes a bdp-83 with more high end video processing.

Regarding content, blu ray comes up fairly frequently on the Opera on DVD thread over in the Opera section.  I have these Blu Rays which I enjoyed a lot:

DavidW

If you want SACD playback Feonor without paying too much, the Sony players still support sacd (standalone, not the ps3 anymore) still support SACD.

But to answer your question, yes I think that the future of high quality audio is in blu-ray. :)

MDL

In the UK, we have to put up with PAL-encoded media for our TV broadcasts and Region 2 DVDs. A film which lasts 100 minutes at the cinema, on American NTSC broadcast or Blu-ray, will last only 96 minutes on PAL (DVD or UK broadcast). In my job, I often have to jump between PAL and NTSC/Blu-ray versions of the same media, and the difference in pitch is extraordinary.

Luckily, I'm pitch ignorant and tone deaf, so I can watch my PAL music DVDs without being bothered by the fact that the music is faster and higher than intended, but I dread to think how GMGers with more cultivated senses than mine cope.

knight66

There is so much you don't get James, but as for your opinion being humble....new one on me.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Teresa

Quote from: Feanor on June 11, 2010, 12:15:55 PM
...SACD is now dead except for classical music...
Hi Feanor,

I am sorry I don't have any Blu-Ray recommendations but I will be watching this thread closely as I am interested in Blu-Ray myself as the new Blu-Ray 3.0 spec is supposed to offer DSD as an option.  I believe this is the real reason that Telarc/Concord Music Group quit releasing SACDs but continues to record in DSD multichannel.  I think they know something about the new Blu-Ray audio spec we don't know. 

I think SACD is nearly dead for Classical music as well since the departure of Telarc and Hyperion over a year ago.  The only companies that still are dedicated to Classical SACD are PentaTone, Channel Classics, BIS, Exton and a couple of really small labels. 

MFSL and Analogue Productions are still releasing some Rock and Jazz SACDs but nothing compared to their LP releases.  Plus there some super expensive Rock SHM-SACDs coming from Japan.  Ultimate SHM-SACD Announced

I think Opera and Ballet are perfect for Blu-Ray, high resolution video plus high resolution audio and in the case of opera the English translation on the screen.  I also enjoy the purely instrumental orchestral programs I watch on NPR, those should be killer on Blu-Ray.  Hope you find a lot of great music.

Fëanor

Quote from: James on June 11, 2010, 02:58:51 PM
ugh, watching opera & ballet .. why do people need to watch folks in utterly ridiculous stupid looking costumes posture and prance around on stage like complete ass monkeys in order to digest things - it detracts from the music, creates horrid (& unnecessary) associations with that music, and seems pretty dated & lame as entertainment does it not? It looks like shit imho.
James, though I think we agree on a few subjects, but on opera we disagree.

To me opera is a multi-media thing: with out sight as well as sound I find it unengaging.  I also appreciate subtitles to know what's going on, (unless I'm extremely familiar with the plot which for most operas I'm not).

Fëanor

Quote from: DavidW on June 11, 2010, 02:32:01 PM
If you want SACD playback Feonor without paying too much, the Sony players still support sacd (standalone, not the ps3 anymore) still support SACD.

But to answer your question, yes I think that the future of high quality audio is in blu-ray. :)
Just for clarification: most current low and mid-price receivers are omitting 5.1 analogy inputs as well as DSD decoding, so unless your player provides DSD to PCM transcode delivered via HDMI, your SOL for SACD playback.  This is my situation.

I have a multi-channel SACD player that I've had for a while, but it is useless with the Onkyo 508 which fits the norm described above.

Fëanor

Quote from: Scarpia on June 11, 2010, 01:57:27 PM
My first BD player was a bare bones model that I got for only $100 or so.  But I think my second one should be this, which can do SACD and DVD-A as well as  blue Ray, for around $290

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/

oppo also makes a bdp-83 with more high end video processing.

Thank you for OPPO recommendation which is an excellent one.  I was aware of the BDP-80 and had noted the M/C DSD to PCM capability which is what I would need with the Onkyo 508.  Thanks for your opera recommendations too.

I'm envious of your 250 SACD collection (vs. about 30 for me), and if I had so many, the Oppo would be a no-brainer.

Fëanor

Quote from: Teresa on June 11, 2010, 10:32:37 PM
Hi Feanor,

I am sorry I don't have any Blu-Ray recommendations but I will be watching this thread closely as I am interested in Blu-Ray myself as the new Blu-Ray 3.0 spec is supposed to offer DSD as an option.  I believe this is the real reason that Telarc/Concord Music Group quit releasing SACDs but continues to record in DSD multichannel.  I think they know something about the new Blu-Ray audio spec we don't know. 

I think SACD is nearly dead for Classical music as well since the departure of Telarc and Hyperion over a year ago.  The only companies that still are dedicated to Classical SACD are PentaTone, Channel Classics, BIS, Exton and a couple of really small labels. 

Teresa, on your second point, yes, I suspect the decline of SACD will accelerate even for classical music.  Blu-ray is the obvious replacement and I hope it will rapidly take up the slack.

I was aware that the Blu-ray spec can provides for DSD, but for me that's not the essence of the problem; my Onkyo won't decode DSD in any case.  Unlike yourself, I don't distain PCM, at least not at 24/88.2 or higher.

knight66

Better hope Herman does not read you.  :o

Mike

knight66

Our longstanding Chopin and ballet expert. Look him up.

Mike

knight66

Not to worry. I will not disrupt the real thread topic further.

Mike

Drasko

Quote from: James on June 11, 2010, 02:58:51 PM
ugh, watching opera & ballet .. why do people need to watch folks in utterly ridiculous stupid looking costumes posture and prance around on stage like complete ass monkeys in order to digest things - it detracts from the music, creates horrid (& unnecessary) associations with that music, and seems pretty dated & lame as entertainment does it not? It looks like shit imho.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Feanor on June 12, 2010, 03:39:10 AM
Thank you for OPPO recommendation which is an excellent one.  I was aware of the BDP-80 and had noted the M/C DSD to PCM capability which is what I would need with the Onkyo 508.  Thanks for your opera recommendations too.

I'm envious of your 250 SACD collection (vs. about 30 for me), and if I had so many, the Oppo would be a no-brainer.

If you have large DVD collection spend the extra money for the upgrade Oppo BDP 83, it has the Anchor Bay VRS upscaling technology.........you would have to spend a small fortune to equal this performance in another player

Opera and ballet in Blu Ray is fabulous if you have the system to deliver the goods  :)

DavidW

You know if he upgrades his receiver to a Denon then he would have full hdmi with hd audio decoding AND the Anchor Bay upscaling!! :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: Feanor on June 12, 2010, 03:27:06 AM
James, though I think we agree on a few subjects, but on opera we disagree.

To me opera is a multi-media thing: with out sight as well as sound I find it unengaging.  I also appreciate subtitles to know what's going on, (unless I'm extremely familiar with the plot which for most operas I'm not).

I am one of the very few here that will advocate the best way to experience opera is through Blu Ray and high end AV system.......the advantages are numerous and important for full appreciation of a performance

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on June 12, 2010, 10:57:48 AM
You know if he upgrades his receiver to a Denon then he would have full hdmi with hd audio decoding AND the Anchor Bay upscaling!! :) 

Dave
That is great news for Denon........but only models over $800 will feature Anchor Bay image processing

It remains to be seen if they are as successful as Oppo in actually implementing the technology in a finished product, Oppo has run the gauntlet of professional reviewers and is a proven performer

DarkAngel

Here is my recommendations for two Blu Ray operas sure to please......

Don't forget these can be rented at Netflix before you decide on a purchase

Scarpia

Quote from: Feanor on June 12, 2010, 03:49:38 AMI was aware that the Blu-ray spec can provides for DSD, but for me that's not the essence of the problem; my Onkyo won't decode DSD in any case.  Unlike yourself, I don't distain PCM, at least not at 24/88.2 or higher.

As far as I can see, DSD is just marketing hype.   Every sigma-delta analog-to-digital converter uses an internal "DSD" format which is converted to PCM to be stored.  Sony claimed it was better to store the DSD itself rather than the PCM version.  It seems pointless, because as far as I can tell, most high-grade SACD players have digital-to-analog converters that internally convert the DSD signal to some version of multi-bit PCM before conversion anyway.  I think it is silly that most music is distributed as 44.1kHz 16-bit, but high resolution PCM is just as good as DSD, as far as I can tell.