Schubert Lieder

Started by Harry, June 19, 2007, 02:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sTisTi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 02, 2010, 02:58:12 AM
The Hyperion box employs 58 singers plus two choral groups. Just sayin'  ;)

Sarge
And the good thing is that  since Hyperion introduced a direct download option on their website one can even pick & choose among the different discs without buying the big box. You can download whole discs or just single tracks you want to have. Just be sure to choose the "FLAC" lossless download, not the compressed MP3 as the price is the same. With FLAC you have the original, uncompressed audio data of the CD and can still also create MP3 or other lossy formats later on if you want to. I did a lot of cherry picking from Herrick's complete Bach organ works and the Schubert Lieder CDs during the past weeks  ;D

mc ukrneal

Today is a great day. A GREAT DAY I tell you! It is a day for celebration! Have you guessed? NO?!?! 

I have now, after much collecting and listening, acquired the final disc to complete the Hyperion Schubert Collection! I actually never intended to do it, but slowly and surely over time (with many thanks to Berkshire) I did collect the entire collection. This has been one of the most rewarding explorations I have ever encountered. I have received countless hours of enjoyment from these discs.  And now the pain in my pocket will go away too.... :P

Until the next set...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

There's a 21 CD Loewe Edition on cpo. Just sayin'.....

mc ukrneal

Quote from: erato on March 01, 2010, 12:48:33 PM

There's a 21 CD Loewe Edition on cpo. Just sayin'.....

welll, errr, sheepishly admits that this is already on order.... :o .... ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ukrneal on March 01, 2010, 10:45:39 AM
Today is a great day. A GREAT DAY I tell you! It is a day for celebration! Have you guessed? NO?!?! 

I have now, after much collecting and listening, acquired the final disc to complete the Hyperion Schubert Collection! I actually never intended to do it, but slowly and surely over time (with many thanks to Berkshire) I did collect the entire collection. This has been one of the most rewarding explorations I have ever encountered. I have received countless hours of enjoyment from these discs.  And now the pain in my pocket will go away too.... :P

Until the next set...

Congratulations! I know how you feel. I am within an eyelash of the complete recorded works of Haydn, and it's been a challenge.

Of course, it's just a matter of time before that little, hollow aching feeling comes on you... :'(

;D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

knight66

I have enjoyed those Schubert booklets as much as I enjoy the music. I only have a handfull of the discs, but may well add to them. I have quite a number of Schubert recitals, so did not feel I needed to buy so many more.

But the Hyperion set is so good, I know I will pick them up here and there.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: knight on January 31, 2010, 06:57:50 AM
DFD was mentioned on the Vocal Recital threads a day ago. There I repeated an opinion that although much admired, he is not greatly loved as a singer and that, it was suggested, his discs were often bought, then not much listened to.

I nearly wore out the vinyl or some of them.

Quote from: knight on January 31, 2010, 06:57:50 AM
For almost all the tracks on the disc you have bought he was 40, only 33 for the final track, Erlkonig. The voice was still in its prime along with his ability to carry legato, yet point the words.
... Lots of things to say about each song. It is a rewarding disc...

I have the same disc but a different cover from EMI Classics.  A true "Classic" in the best sense of the word.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

sospiro

I've only just started to get interested in Schubert Lieder (have only got this so far.)  I got it as I'm going to a recital by Simon Keenlyside at Temple Church in London in October.

I would really appreciate some help and guidance about starting a collection but I don't know whether I'd want the entire collection.

Annie

knight66

If you read through this thread, it should give some suggestions. My personal favourite is the following double disc, it is very inexpensive.

Janet Baker has a very expressive voice and these performances are excellent. There is a mix of well, and less well known songs.

There will be no printed copies of the words with the discs, vital to understand what is going on. This site will give them all in German plus an English translation.

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/

But, to learn about Schubert and his songs, it is not possible to beat the notes with the song discs on Hyperion. You could dip into this series buying a couple of individual discs. The Anthony Rolfe Johnson one is beautiful, all songs about 'Night', he has a superb tenor voice. The Margaret Price one is also excellent.

Best to buy a disc or so and really get to know the songs, then move on, there is so much to explore.

He wrote three sets of songs, two are true cycles and one is a collection made by his publisher after his death. These are regarded as amongst the best of all writing for voice and piano.

Here is the DG set with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. It is available at bargain price.

Most here use mail order. I like Amazon and their Marketplace sellers, but others use quite a variety of outlets.

Enjoy!

Mike

sospiro

:) Thanks Mike - that's very helpful
Annie

mc ukrneal

Some good suggestions from Mike. There are many Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (DFD) individual discs and recitals worth having. They exist in so many combinations and re-incarnations. The thing you need to check is if you are duplicating (if you buy more than one), as many of these discs will duplicate songs. Here are a couple examples:

As mentioned, you can certainly pick and choose individual discs from the Hyperion set. Hyperion have also put together an inexpensive sampler, and that may be of more interest to you initially. This will have all sorts of different voices, and that may be useful as well if you are not certain what type of voice you prefer. Keenlyside contributed to some discs of the Hyperion series, so you could alternatively pick up one of those instead. No. 24 might be a good choice (where he appears with several other singers). If you do a search, you'll find the others he appears on. One other suggestion with the Hyperion series - listen to the snippets from their website as they are usually longer than you will get at sites like Amazon and give you a better idea of whether you like a given disc/song (it's http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk). The two I talk about look like this:

There are also a couple of ongoing series to pick from. There is a series on Naxos and a series from Matthias Goerne.

If you decide to buy anything in bulk, I would also suggest checking out a site called Berkshire Record Outlet. They sell overstock, remainders, etc. They have many from the Naxos and Hyperion series, and can make the exploration process a bit less painful on the pocketbook.

A final thought is Fritz Wunderlich, a singer with a wonderful voice, but died quite young. He has a few Schubert discs, but I would suggest the one below if you want to explore a little beyond Schubert. It includes 8 Schubert songs, but also a couple Beethoven and Schumann's great cycle, Dichterliebe.

Lastly, if you know the program, you can try to focus on some of what you will hear at the recital. In any case, it may help you focus a bit when there is so much to choose from (and narrow the choices). I hope you will enjoy it!

Verena

QuoteA final thought is Fritz Wunderlich, a singer with a wonderful voice, but died quite young. He has a few Schubert discs, but I would suggest the one below if you want to explore a little beyond Schubert. It includes 8 Schubert songs, but also a couple Beethoven and Schumann's great cycle, Dichterliebe.

Wonderful voice indeed! It is really sad that he recorded Schubert's Schöne Müllerin several times (I think at least four times), but never ever my favorite cycle Winterreise.
My absolute favorite among Schubert singers, and among Baritons in general, is Gerard Souzay. When he was young he had an absolutely splendid voice, small-scaled but extraordinary timbre. Testament has a Schubert recital by Souzay in his prime.
http://www.testament.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?id=404
Unfortunately, the Winterreise on Testament was recorded at a time when he was past his prime. His voice lost much of its splendor from 1960 onwards IMO.
In general, I prefer Souzay's (early) recordings to those of Fischer-Dieskau. For one thing, the voice strikes me as more beautiful. For another, I often find Fischer-Dieskau's interpretations somehow exaggerated, more interpretation than singing; a bit like a teacher pointing out with great emphasis certain things one might not have noticed otherwise. Also, I somehow like the way Souzay pronounces German, although (or perhaps because) unlike Fischer-Dieskau he is not a native speaker of German.
That said, I still love some of Fischer-Dieskau's early Schubert and Schumann recordings on Emi, audite, and Orfeo.

Don't think, but look! (PI66)

sospiro

@ ukrneal

Thank you so much for your tips & information.  It's all extremely useful.  If you don't mind I'm going to save your comments on my PC for future reference.

I don't now what the programme is yet but hopefully it will be published before the event.

http://www.templemusic.org/events/2010/10/22

Other recitals http://www.templesong.com/
Annie

knight66

Looks like a lovely venue. Keenlyside is sure to engage the ear. I hope you enjoy it.

Mike

mc ukrneal

Quote from: sospiro on April 07, 2010, 09:46:07 AM
@ ukrneal

Thank you so much for your tips & information.  It's all extremely useful.  If you don't mind I'm going to save your comments on my PC for future reference.

I don't now what the programme is yet but hopefully it will be published before the event.

http://www.templemusic.org/events/2010/10/22

Other recitals http://www.templesong.com/

Sure - and the comments will stay here in any case.  :D

The temple church is one of my favorite sites in London. A Schubert concert there sounds absolutely fantastic. 

Tsaraslondon

I am second to none in my admiration for Fritz Wunderlich, only to add that that there are also several live recordings of him singing Schumann's Dichterliebe, the very best of which is a recording from the Edinburgh festival, which is, I believe, the last appearance he made before his untimely death. It shows that he was a thinking artist, and probes much deeper into the songs than the DG recording, which was made about a year ealier.

I would also recommend this marvellous disc of Schwarzkopf in wonderfully fresh voice, accompanied by the great Edwin Fischer.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Verena

QuoteI would also recommend this marvellous disc of Schwarzkopf in wonderfully fresh voice, accompanied by the great Edwin Fischer.

Yeah, that's a great disc. I remember being very impressed by it when I listened to it some time ago. Have to give it another spin.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Verena on April 07, 2010, 05:56:19 AM

My absolute favorite among Schubert singers, and among Baritons in general, is Gerard Souzay. When he was young he had an absolutely splendid voice, small-scaled but extraordinary timbre. Testament has a Schubert recital by Souzay in his prime.
http://www.testament.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?id=404

Yes, absolutely beautiful disc. Heartily seconded.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

knight66

The following disc is not exclusively of Schubert, but it is an unusual disc and well worth looking for. The Royal Academy chooses a handful of student singers each year and produces a song disc. This year's programme is titled, 'Gothe's Girl's and Morike's Men'. It is a beautifully planned disc and looks at aspects of romance from first flowering to loss.

The notes with the disc are first rate; looking at the social background and the poets lives in detail. The words are there and translations. All this for next to nothing. It can be got for £4.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goethes-Morikes-Circle-students-Academy/dp/B002YXGMDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270711622&sr=1-1

Some of these young singers show considerable promise. Spot future stars here.....and one mediocre singer.

Mike

Mandryka

For me there is a greatest performance of Winterreise – Peter Schreier's with Richter.

Schreier's achievement is about identification – it's as if, when he sings, he isn't just telling the story of someone on a cold journey. He is actually on that journey, suffering etc.

I find this Cd so candid that it is almost unbearable.

As much as I wouldn't myself be without Hynninen, Pregardien, Hotter, Huesch, FiDi  (55 live from Prades) and maybe some others, this Schreier/Richter recording seems to me in a different league. Superior to them all. Despite reservations about his voice, or tempo.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen