Schubert Lieder

Started by Harry, June 19, 2007, 02:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: uffeviking on June 19, 2007, 10:56:57 AM
If we don't return to Schubert pretty soon, some conservative, overzealous moderator might send this conversation to the Diner!   :(

I wonder if Schubert knew about phermones...  :)

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 19, 2007, 09:47:44 AM
Some day, Sir, some day you will grace us with a photographic replica of yourself so we, the ladies at GMG, or gentlemen - can judge for ourselves if a search for you is a worthwhile activity.  :-\

You Lis collect men, I on the other hand women. 8)

Harry

Quote from: uffeviking on June 19, 2007, 09:47:44 AM
Some day, Sir, some day you will grace us with a photographic replica of yourself so we, the ladies at GMG, or gentlemen - can judge for ourselves if a search for you is a worthwhile activity.  :-\

I assure you dear Lis, it is worth the effort. I have it from several trustworthy contacts.

Harry

Harry

The layout of this box with a fine book going with it is a joy to see.
Its on the last pile out of 30 or so, it may take some time........, but I said that already.
The praise it garnered on this board and outside is stunning.

knight66

Harry, You really must listen to those Schubert discs....OK??

Now, back to sniffing.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Harry

Quote from: knight on June 19, 2007, 11:33:43 AM
Harry, You really must listen to those Schubert discs....OK??

Now, back to sniffing.

Mike

And the other beautiful cd's that are waiting? ;D
Hope the sniffing is pleasant.
I do my best Mike, but I make no promises. :)

rubio

Any comments on this box set? Are most of Schubert's songs and the performances in this set of consistent high quality? Or is this mostly for the completist?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

knight66

Rubio, The set has had more or less universal praise. Part of its value lies with the notes that Graham Johnson wrote when he devised each disc. However, I have a feeling that the box-set has words, but not the mini essays to each song. Nevertheless, it is a great set to get hold of, especially if you can obtain it for a good price.

Most of the discs are designed around specific singers and contain a mixture of famous and obscure songs.

Schubert's duets and part songs are also in there, it really is very complete.

Mike

The new erato

Quote from: knight on June 08, 2008, 12:32:49 PM

Most of the discs are designed around specific singers and contain a mixture of famous and obscure songs.

Schubert's duets and part songs are also in there, it really is very complete.

Mike
This set has the songs chronologically and part of the fascination is the constantly changing voices. I know people who have BOTH the original single discs as well as this complete set and will part with neither!

mn dave

Tempting...

Anyone been listening to the Naxos series?

knight66

Erato, Now, thank you for that, I had a notion they had been reordered, but thought my memory had to be at fault. So, they will not appear as mini-recitals, rather a systematic trawl through the order of composition. I can see why people might want both; as each way of listening will provide a very different experience.

Mike

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: knight on June 08, 2008, 12:39:21 PM
Erato, Now, thank you for that, I had a notion they had been reordered, but thought my memory had to be at fault. So, they will not appear as mini-recitals, rather a systematic trawl through the order of composition. I can see why people might want both; as each way of listening will provide a very different experience.

Mike

I'm still waiting for the promised book by Graham Johnson that will include the essays that were part of the original single CD issues but in expanded form.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2008, 04:35:49 AM
I'm still waiting for the promised book by Graham Johnson that will include the essays that were part of the original single CD issues but in expanded form.

Sarge
So am I!

rubio

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2008, 04:35:49 AM

Sarge

I had to forward a question about this issue to Hyperion and was rewarded with a prompt answer:

Indeed, and we have been waiting for nearly three years now. Yale University Press will publish the book or books but still we have no information on a publishing date.

Regards.

Simon Perry
Director
Hyperion Records Limited
PO Box 25
London SE9 1AX
Tel: 020 8318 1234
Fax: 020 8463 1230
www.hyperion-records.co.uk
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

mn dave

So...no one's listening to the Naxos CDs?

knight66

Sorry, No.....I have about 50 discs of Schubert songs and I don't feel I need many more right now.

Mike

mn dave

Quote from: knight on June 10, 2008, 10:28:18 AM
Sorry, No.....I have about 50 discs of Schubert songs and I don't feel I need many more right now.

Mike

Well, I have Ameling and Munteanu and don't feel I need more right now.

But you never know...

knight66

Oh, you do need a bloke to bring some specific songs to life and provide contrast. Ameling was a beautiful singer, but in Schubert I find that different singers do bring new interpretations. That these differences tell me more about the song and the poetry. I hope you have texts with Ameling.

Mike

mn dave

Quote from: knight on June 10, 2008, 10:35:28 AM
Oh, you do need a bloke to bring some specific songs to life and provide contrast. Ameling was a beautiful singer, but in Schubert I find that different singers do bring new interpretations. That these differences tell me more about the song and the poetry. I hope you have texts with Ameling.

Mike

Well, I have Fischer-Dieskau and ... some other guy as well.

No, no texts. I just...listen and enjoy the sound of their voices. I really should get texts though.