Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Løvfald on March 06, 2023, 02:24:00 PMGreat and singular music indeed, although I don't know that recording (I'm only familiar with the Zinman recording). From this composer I also consider Vers la voûte étoilée to be another exceptional and very poignant piece. This is a splendid recording of it:

Just listening to this now and Vers la voûte étoilée is indeed an incredibly beautiful composition. Some terrific liner notes by our fellow GMGer Jens F. Laurson @SurprisedByBeauty

pjme

Quote from: pjme on August 12, 2015, 06:01:41 AMYes that is indeed the (only) recording of these Chorals for "open air festivals/ popular festivals". But the sound is dated and definitely not top notch.
If I'm not mistaken they are on Spotify.

Peter

I love this music! Crisp, fresh, notes of light acidity and yet grand...
This Japanese group sounds better than the Dondeyne/Gardiens de la Paix, band...

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 02, 2023, 07:11:12 AMJust listening to this now and Vers la voûte étoilée is indeed an incredibly beautiful composition. Some terrific liner notes by our fellow GMGer Jens F. Laurson @SurprisedByBeauty
I've been tepid about the recording, much as I love Vers la voûte étoilée, due to uncertainty trumping curiosity viz. the Symphony. But notes by our @SurprisedByBeauty cast another light on the matter entirely.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 02, 2023, 08:16:55 AMI've been tepid about the recording, much as I love Vers la voûte étoilée, due to uncertainty trumping curiosity viz. the Symphony. But notes by our @SurprisedByBeauty cast another light on the matter entirely.

;D  Ha! Thanks for the -- I think -- compliment.  8)

Franco_Manitobain

First listen to this recording. One of the most remarkable and colourful orchestral works I've ever heard from any composer. So incredibly captivating!

I do prefer the Segerstam recording to this one, it would seem.