Author Topic: Herbert Howells 1892-1983  (Read 15589 times)

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Herbert Howells 1892-1983
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 03:24:11 PM »
A new recording of Missa Sabrinensis:

Wonderful! It’s such an ecstatically glorious work, less concise than Hymnus Paradisi but often reaching the same exalted levels of inspiration as that masterwork.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline JohnP

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2020, 03:33:29 AM »
Howell’s beautiful King David from YouTube:

https://youtu.be/rN2Jz1vvlHY

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2020, 10:05:24 PM »
A disk of Howells' previously unrecorded piano music:

Here there is a piece called "Finzi: His Rest" which is a distinct piece from the well-known "Finzi's Rest". Apparently the story is that this latter piece was a pre-existing one that Howells revised on the day he heard of Finzi's death and published in Howells' Clavichord, but the  piece recorded here was actually a new one written that same day.

All the pieces are very good. I'm looking forward to volume 2.

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »
A disk of Howells' previously unrecorded piano music:

Here there is a piece called "Finzi: His Rest" which is a distinct piece from the well-known "Finzi's Rest". Apparently the story is that this latter piece was a pre-existing one that Howells revised on the day he heard of Finzi's death and published in Howells' Clavichord, but the  piece recorded here was actually a new one written that same day.

All the pieces are very good. I'm looking forward to volume 2.

Most interesting. Howells is a composer I warm to but not so keen on vocal music which does narrow the field. I will investigate that CD, thanks.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2020, 08:29:20 AM »
Most interesting. Howells is a composer I warm to but not so keen on vocal music which does narrow the field. I will investigate that CD, thanks.
Do you know Hymnus Paradisi Lol?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2020, 02:17:49 AM »
Do you know Hymnus Paradisi Lol?

I know of it Jeffrey, but I guess that is not what you are asking. :) Odd really as two of my "Desert Island" discs are vocal, Finzi's Dies Natalis and Britten's Serenade but I have an aversion to choirs and religion in music. Never say never and of course I will give Hymnus Paradisi a listen as I do like Howells.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2020, 02:28:00 AM »
I know of it Jeffrey, but I guess that is not what you are asking. :) Odd really as two of my "Desert Island" discs are vocal, Finzi's Dies Natalis and Britten's Serenade but I have an aversion to choirs and religion in music. Never say never and of course I will give Hymnus Paradisi a listen as I do like Howells.
This is one of my all time favourite CDs:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2020, 02:58:40 AM »
This is one of my all time favourite CDs:

On LP Dies Natalis is coupled with Holst.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2020, 11:18:10 PM »
On LP Dies Natalis is coupled with Holst.
OT
I remember hearing Dies Natalis on the radio for the first time when I was on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, aged about 19 - the last movement really moved me, so when I got back to London I rushed straight up to HMV to get the LP:

Back on topic - now listening to 'Stabat Mater':
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:46:55 PM by vandermolen »